771-Signal loss on Satellite issues. Can you help me troubleshoot

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rockstead

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Earth
I'll be ordering new equipment soon, so I would like to deal with this issue I have.

It seemed to have started this winter when there was a deep freeze and stopped when it thawed but ever since then I am experiencing 771-1Signal loss on Satellite in 1 or 2 quite often, in very light rain, or hours before it starts raining or even no rain at all. I understand rain feed but I've had this system for 5 years and it would normally hold up until very heavy rains.

My setup is a Slimline-SWM5 with a SWM8 (MRV and Wired CCK) switch to a few HR receivers.

Are there specific screen shots I can provide from my Satellite setup that can help diagnose if this is a LNB issue or a positional problem, or provide some more insight on this. Maybe I'll need to order a new LNB as well.

Please tell me what to post and I'll provide it.

Post screen shots of the signal strength screens for 101, 110,119, 99c, 103ca and 103cb. Don't worry about 99s and 103s.

Post screen shots of the signal strength screens for 101, 110,119, 99c, 103ca and 103cb. Don't worry about 99s and 103s.

Thanks, here are the screen shots on current weather. Not raining but it did earlier and not crazy.

uploadfromtaptalk1402717679080.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1402717704444.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1402717719133.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1402717731363.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1402717742997.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1402717758585.jpg

Very low, on several satellites. Looks like a straightforward dish alignment problem to me.
FYI the last set of 103ca readings you posted shows classic signs of dish misalignment - the odd transponders are just high enough to get reception, the evens are very low.
All your 99c/103ca/103cb signals should be high 80s at least, preferaly mid 90s.

Very low is an understatement! The first thing I would check is the dish to be sure all of the bolts are tight. That could be all that is wrong.

Thanks, I'm going to get someone out to fix it, what targets should I be looking for on the various satellites after they say they have fixed it?

Thanks, I'm going to get someone out to fix it, what targets should I be looking for on the various satellites after they say they have fixed it?
After it has been fixed the majority of your reading should be in the 90's, high 80s as the lowest..
There will be a few zeros, don't worry about them if the rest are where they belong.

Don't worry about 99s and 103s, those are spotbeams carrying locals to different cities so many/most of them will be low or zero. There are some spotbeams on 101 and 119 also.
Apart from spotbeams, 101 should be in the high 90s or even 100. Same for 119. Ignore 110, those are only for Puerto Rico.
99c/103ca/103cb should be very high 80s, preferably low to mid 90s.

Don't worry about 99s and 103s, those are spotbeams carrying locals to different cities so many/most of them will be low or zero. There are some spotbeams on 101 and 119 also.
Apart from spotbeams, 101 should be in the high 90s or even 100. Same for 119. Ignore 110, those are only for Puerto Rico.
99c/103ca/103cb should be very high 80s, preferably low to mid 90s.

Since I'm already starting with a signal, could the alignment be corrected without a signal meter? I have someone that is already coming to my place that does a really clean job re-wiring but he said he doesn't have a signal meter for the SL5 but can align it easily without since I already have a signal.

What do you think?

Since I'm already starting with a signal, could the alignment be corrected without a signal meter? I have someone that is already coming to my place that does a really clean job re-wiring but he said he doesn't have a signal meter for the SL5 but can align it easily without since I already have a signal.

What do you think?
This can definitely be done without a meter, just use the Sat meter in the recvr.
One person watch the meter on the TV while the other peaks the dish.

Chances are it needs a little dithering ....
I just did the same thing last weekend at the lake house.

This can definitely be done without a meter, just use the Sat meter in the recvr.
One person watch the meter on the TV while the other peaks the dish.

Chances are it needs a little dithering ....
I just did the same thing last weekend at the lake house.

Jimbo, you never did let me know how that turned out, assumed a quick little peak took care of the issue.

As for OP, is this dish roof mounted or pole mounted? If it's dish you may have had ice develop in between the shingles and foot plate which caused the entire mount to shift. If it's a pole mount, the winter (which was beyond brutal on all mounts) may have pushed the concrete up and in turn caused the dish to slightly lean. Hope it's neither of the 2 and a simple dish peaking takes care of the issue

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Jimbo, you never did let me know how that turned out, assumed a quick little peak took care of the issue.

As for OP, is this dish roof mounted or pole mounted? If it's dish you may have had ice develop in between the shingles and foot plate which caused the entire mount to shift. If it's a pole mount, the winter (which was beyond brutal on all mounts) may have pushed the concrete up and in turn caused the dish to slightly lean. Hope it's neither of the 2 and a simple dish peaking takes care of the issue

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
Yes, a minor tweaking and it was back in the 90's.

Minor as in 2 Full turns on the east /west adjustment.

I haven't seen you on here in a while ...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts