771a error on one receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dahauss

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
I have 2 dvrs and one hr24 hd receiver. I've never use the he receiver until today when I connected a tv. The 2 dvrs are ok but the standard hd receiver gets a 771a error. Ive checked all the wiring and all was ok. One thing.. When I first turned it o with the tv, it showed a picture from CNN but was frozen and then had a 771a error. I called directv and they are coming out Thursday. I'm hoping I may be able to resolve before then.

Any help appreciated.... Thanks....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just looked at directv app for iPad. Received with 771a error was showing red. Now it is green and I can press the turn off button and it does turn off the receiver. When I run the network test under menu, I get a 51-938 no swm detected.. I can also press list and see all the recorded shows from my other dvrs although they will not play..... Any ideas?

Have you checked the RG6 cables and connectors?

I know you said you checked all the wiring, but 771A error basically says that your receiver cannot connect to a SWM signal and the typical reason is that a coax cable is loose. It can also mean a bad connection. You need to remove all the connections and make sure that the wiring is OK. Then put them back together and make sure they are snug. There is a slim possibility that one of the ports on your splitter is not capped. Any unused port needs a 70 ohm terminator (it sort of looks like a chrome tire valve stem cover with a bump on it). Make sure there are no open connections. If all that is good, it looks like you will have to wait until Thursday for the tech.

I know you said you checked all the wiring, but 771A error basically says that your receiver cannot connect to a SWM signal and the typical reason is that a coax cable is loose. It can also mean a bad connection. You need to remove all the connections and make sure that the wiring is OK. Then put them back together and make sure they are snug. There is a slim possibility that one of the ports on your splitter is not capped. Any unused port needs a 70 ohm terminator (it sort of looks like a chrome tire valve stem cover with a bump on it). Make sure there are no open connections. If all that is good, it looks like you will have to wait until Thursday for the tech.

I would start checking the cables with the recvr that is getting the error, follow it back to the SWM splitter and remove and change compression fittings on that cable. (provided that it's not happening on all your connected recvrs)

As for terming the left over connections on the splitter, don't think it's necessary, many of mine are left open and all work fine. My connections are inside behind the TV, not outside, if his is outside then yes I would cap them.

I checked all connections. I assume since I was able to press list and see the recordings on the other DVrs in the house that wiring is ok. All unused connectors are capped and all wiring is on my garage then going to the rooms. What's next? Or wait for service ? Thanks...

This Morning i turned on the tv and receiver and it was playing audience network fine but after 5 minutes froze with a looking for signal. However I can see all the shows on my networked dvrs and I can play them. Could it be a receiver issue? This is just a standard hd receiver that I used in my old house just fine.

I'm afraid you will have to wait until your service call on Thursday. From everything you have described there is no reason you should be seeing a 771a error. Since your other DVRs see each other and get a good signal, you obviously have a working SWM setup. Something is just haywire with your H24 receiver's connection and/or setup.

If it turns out to be the H24, at least you won't lose any recordings. Have you tried replacing the cable going to the H24? I know you said you checked it, but they can have issues that you can't see.

If it turns out to be the H24, at least you won't lose any recordings. Have you tried replacing the cable going to the H24? I know you said you checked it, but they can have issues that you can't see.

Yes tried 3 different cables. I assume the cabs us good since I can watch shows off my dvrs in other rooms

dahauss said:
Yes tried 3 different cables. I assume the cabs us good since I can watch shows off my dvrs in other rooms

What happens when you move the receiver to another room?

What happens when you move the receiver to another room?

Not easy to do because other rooms have wiring and receivers in rack.. I'll just wait until Thursday. I'll let everyone know the outcome

I wasn't home but my wife was. All she told me was the guy said something about the wiring that was in the house was not up to par for directv. No idea what that means as the other rooms were working final. He did replace the receiver and I bet that is all that was needed…

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)