776 error on HR44

Status
Please reply by conversation.

acostapimps

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Illinois
I'm seeing 776 error message (Problem Communicating With Dish) on HR44, as I relocated 2 receivers
1 HR24 downstairs and H24 upstairs, there's also standard D12 downstairs as well, But none of those receivers have the error message, Only the HR44, PI isn't connected to a receiver
but it does have a line from the SWM 16. Not sure if that's the problem or on SWM 16 side.

SWM 16 is also inline with 8-way splitter, and 2-way splitter seperately feeding both HR24 and D12.

I'm seeing 776 error message (Problem Communicating With Dish) on HR44, as I relocated 2 receivers
1 HR24 downstairs and H24 upstairs, there's also standard D12 downstairs as well, But none of those receivers have the error message, Only the HR44, PI isn't connected to a receiver
but it does have a line from the SWM 16. Not sure if that's the problem or on SWM 16 side.

SWM 16 is also inline with 8-way splitter, and 2-way splitter seperately feeding both HR24 and D12.
Are all of these receivers on 1 leg of the SWM 16? You have a total of 9 tuners listed so you need to have at least 1 of the receivers on the 2nd leg of the SWM 16. Maximum tuners on each leg of SWM 16 is 8.

Are all of these receivers on 1 leg of the SWM 16? You have a total of 9 tuners listed so you need to have at least 1 of the receivers on the 2nd leg of the SWM 16. Maximum tuners on each leg of SWM 16 is 8.
That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure, I actually thought it was the PI, but I still see picture on all receivers,
But not sure what cable to disconnect on SWM 16, and don't feel confident enough to try it,

So I scheduled a service call and soonest they only have is on Saturday, I know it could be a simple switcharoo of cables, But afraid of messing up something else.

Nope.. info man was correct... you shouldn't try to relocate boxes if a swm16 needed to be installed. 776 translates to tuner limit exceeded. You need to trace the lines into where your splitters are located and reverse the connections if you want to try it yourself. But i recommend moving everything back and calling dtv to schedule an upgrade for ird relocation for each box you want moved. That way we ensure it is done properly and you do not exceed 8 tuners on either leg of the swm channel.

Tech arrived yesterday but all he did was changed the HR24 to single tuner, I expected a lot more better service than that
He could of looked at the SWM 16 and splitter, or even the coax on the SWM, Maybe he thought I had a 8 tuner SWM

Either way I'll get a call from local office for another service call, And I'll mention what's my setup, since the last tech was in a hurry before I even had a chance to mention the SWM 16.

Tech arrived yesterday but all he did was changed the HR24 to single tuner, I expected a lot more better service than that
He could of looked at the SWM 16 and splitter, or even the coax on the SWM, Maybe he thought I had a 8 tuner SWM

Either way I'll get a call from local office for another service call, And I'll mention what's my setup, since the last tech was in a hurry before I even had a chance to mention the SWM 16.
Oh nice, now you can't use your DVR as a DVR as it only sees 1 tuner .... :(

Oh nice, now you can't use your DVR as a DVR as it only sees 1 tuner .... :(
Well he can... but he has to record what he's watching.... yes maybe the office was swamped or something... but that's not the proper fix I would have told him you want it on dual... then again he has the right to twll you that you moved the boxes not directv... so you need to call in for an upgrade that pays him to properly fix your system to how you want it to run. If they gave you a service call and not an upgrade it's rough on the tech as we're not paid to fix what you broke in simple english and honestly not trying to sound offensive. It's a matter of like 30$ in pay difference to us. I would have made you call in to fix the work order then pulled it forward so you didn't lose your scheduled date... but you would also be charged more as a cm to do the relocate than a service call if they charged you anything for the sc to begin with.

I did call to complain about the service I got, I don't know how can a simple relocation of 2 receivers cause this

I don't record much on the HR24 but shouldn't be the fix I was looking for. I can't put the receivers back to how they were.

If it's taking too much tuners on the SWM 16 than I would at least think to check there first, But he took the easy way out

Local office were supposed to call me today but didn't,

And now send another request to call me tomorrow which I'll doubt they'll do, but if they don't than I'll have to setup another service call appointment.

I have 8 way splitter taking 4 ports I think outside the house next to SWM 16, But I also have a 2 way splitter for 2 receivers in the basement for HR24 and D12 SD receiver, Is that what's causing the 776 issue?

Tech told me to fix my issue I'll have reactivate the C41W or move receivers to it's original location, Problem is there's no point in putting back HR24 in living room since no one watches TV there.

Just curoius, did you change from a SWM 8 to a SWM 16 and then the issue started ?

IF so, did the Power Inserter get changed out as well to a PI29v ?

Last edited:
Just curoius, did you change from a SWM 8 to a SWM 16 and then the issue started ?

IF so, did the Power Inserter get changed out as well to a PI29v ?
No when I got Genie upgrade I was converted to SWM from legacy on Zinwell 6x8, I already had 4 receivers and still have 4 before the switch, which is 9 tuners

Then I changed the HR24 downstairs and H24 upstairs, Other 2 receivers are on the same location HR44 upstairs and D12 downstairs, I also have mini client but it's not active,

Changing those first 2 receivers I mentioned is what caused the 776 message, There's also no IRD hooked up to PI but it's does have coax from outside line
presumably on the SWM 16, Although I did only saw the message on the HR44 not on the rest of the receivers

So I would think the issue is on the HR44 itself, and probably needs to be changed on the SWM port, That same line from the HR44 is coming from straight from dish initially, They probably changed it to the splitter or SWM when I did the upgrade.

No when I got Genie upgrade I was converted to SWM from legacy on Zinwell 6x8, I already had 4 receivers and still have 4 before the switch, which is 9 tuners

Then I changed the HR24 downstairs and H24 upstairs, Other 2 receivers are on the same location HR44 upstairs and D12 downstairs, I also have mini client but it's not active,

Changing those first 2 receivers I mentioned is what caused the 776 message, There's also no IRD hooked up to PI but it's does have coax from outside line
presumably on the SWM 16, Although I did only saw the message on the HR44 not on the rest of the receivers

So I would think the issue is on the HR44 itself, and probably needs to be changed on the SWM port, That same line from the HR44 is coming from straight from dish initially, They probably changed it to the splitter or SWM when I did the upgrade.
Well, you can look at this yourself if you want, you have a SWM 16 like I do I would imagine, mounted outside (possibly inside) ...
You'll have 4 lines coming from the LNB now, feeding into the SWM16, more than likely that part is fine.
Then on the Out to the recvr side of things, you'll want to count the tuners on each side, there can only be 8 tuners on either side, this is where I'm wondering if your trouble is coming from.
I would look to see which one has the PI on it for starters. This needs to be a 29v inserter.

Now I always use the line with the PI on it to feed a recvr in this type of situation. (don't know if this has anything to do with it, its just the way I do it.)

Now, try to determine what recvrs are on each side of the SWM 16 and count up the tuners involved and see where you stand.

Remember the Genie is 5, so you can have the Genie and a HR24 and a H24 on one side and thats it.

I don't know how many total recvrs/tuners your running, but if you have a total where you can have the Genie on one side by itself, thats the way I would do it.

It's up to you if you want to dig in and sort it out or wait for them to get there.

Any installers that want to advise on my theory, feel free to jump in.

I think you covered it Jimbo. I would also have the Genie on one side by itself and the rest on the other leg of the swm16.

It seems easy enough but i'll wait till tech arrives tomorrow (I guess some work on Labor Day)
and i'll mention this thread although he should already know.

It seems easy enough but i'll wait till tech arrives tomorrow (I guess some work on Labor Day)
and i'll mention this thread although he should already know.
Just curious, do you know for sure that your currently using a 29volt PI, instead of the 21v ?
It should have been swapped out when you got the Genie with that many other recvrs with it .

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)