Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTA4PA

Satellite Guys Family
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 13, 2013
Central Pennsylvania
I received an 8' mesh dish from a neighbor a while ago. It was dirty and in need of some TLC, with the mesh in several panels torn, bent and pulled out of the channels. I cleaned it up but never seemed to find the time to repair it properly so it just sat here for I while. I finally set a post and installed it, as-is, before last winter (as I mentioned in another thread). It has performed quite well, even with the torn, bent and displaced panels, serving our bedroom with quality tv over Winter and into this Spring. Since it has been so good to us I figured it was time to return the favor and get it back in shape so I recently took it down and went to work on it. The dish is made up of four panels. I had to remove two of the panels to fix the damage to them but was able to keep the other half of the dish (panels 3 & 4) together to work on them. I bought several items for the repairs. First was a 250' roll of 24 gauge galvanized steel wire from Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/p/OOK-250-ft-x-24-Gauge-Galvanized-Steel-Wire-50137/100144004). This stuff works great and cost me less than $5. It is very strong but acts similar to thread, allowing you to 'stitch' the mesh back together. I highly recommend it. (Click thumbnails for larger pics)

24 Gauge Wire.JPG

Next was a box of black, large head, aluminum rivets from Jegs (http://www.jegs.com/i/Allstar+Performance/049/ALL18170/10002/-1).

Rivets.JPG

Third was various new bolts, washers & nuts since many of the originals broke while trying to remove them, once again Home Depot. And finally, a can of flat black spray paint.

_____________________________________​

The first panel had a section of mesh that was partially loose from the channels and also had several tears, including the corner along the outer edge that was barely hanging on.

Before (well almost before - I forgot to take a pic before I got started :oops:):

Panel 1 (Before).JPG

After:

Panel 1 (After).JPG

The second panel had a section of mesh that was almost completely out of the channels and pretty crumpled. How it didn't get torn is beyond me. Another section of mesh in this panel was partially out of the channels.

Before:

Panel 2 (Before 1).JPG Panel 2 (Before 2).JPG

After:

Panel 2 (After 1).JPG Panel 2 (After 2).JPG

The remaining half of the dish had a section of mesh that was torn, bent and partially out of the channels.

Before:

Half Dish (Panels 3 and 4) Before.JPG

After:

Half Dish (Panels 3 and 4) After.JPG

After I got everything fixed and reassembled the dish, I put a coat of flat black over the stitching (and anywhere else that needed it). Here is a pic of the finished dish, painted, back on the pole and ready for use:

Finished Dish.JPG

Overall I'm very pleased with the outcome. The dish itself was free. The pole was already on my property so that was free. The lnb was one that I won from a contest on Satellite Guys (Thanks Titanium!). So for the cost of various bolts, nuts & washers, a spool of 24 gauge wire, some rivets, paint and some elbow grease, I have a nice 'new' 8 foot dish. :)

Looks great! Any increase in performance with the stitched mesh?
Thanks! Yes, there is some definite improvement. Before the mesh was fixed strong gusts of wind would mess with the signal as the loose pieces would move. Now that everything is stitched up, tight and straight, that doesn't happen plus I am now picking up a few more channels that would not lock before. :)

Reactions: fred555
Nice work. Quite a difference between this and the other BUD in the edge of one of the photos, isn't there?
Good Job.
Thanks! Yes, the mount on this one is much sturdier with less play. The metal is thicker as well. I will have to try an actuator when I get time and see how well it does. Depending on the results, I may end up using this one as my motorized and make the Tek2000 stationary. :)

Last edited:
FTA4PA,

Feel like comparing the refurb performance against the Tek2000? I have been watching for a 10 footer and have found an 8 footer. Has me somewhat up in the air as to whether or not I want the old 8 footer. It built way better than the Tek2000, but don't know if worth the swap out or not. I am able to get CBS on 97 when tuned up well with the Tek2000, so it is a gee whiz what do I do. Will probably pursue it, if for no other reason to keep away from scrappers.

Thanks.

FTA4PA,

Feel like comparing the refurb performance against the Tek2000? I have been watching for a 10 footer and have found an 8 footer. Has me somewhat up in the air as to whether or not I want the old 8 footer. It built way better than the Tek2000, but don't know if worth the swap out or not. I am able to get CBS on 97 when tuned up well with the Tek2000, so it is a gee whiz what do I do. Will probably pursue it, if for no other reason to keep away from scrappers.

Thanks.
Yes, I think I will be installing an actuator on the Unimesh and putting them both to the test but it may take me a while to get to it. Quite a few things need done around here and I must keep the other half happy. :rolleyes: I'd be really surprised if you don't get at least as good performance from an older dish as the Tek2000 and the mounts on the older ones are sturdier (at least mine is). I'm also looking for a 10' but no dice yet. I do have a couple of prospects for 8 footers so if I can aquire one (or more) I will, even if I can't put them up right away. As you said, better than the scrappers getting them. And as FaT Air said, good to have a backup. :)

Great write up and thank you for pictures. I have a couple small tears in my mesh so the wire stitching solution looks great. Just curious as to why you used rivets instead of screws to re-secure the mesh? Also, how is your signal with CBS on the 8 footer?

Reactions: FTA4PA
Great write up and thank you for pictures. I have a couple small tears in my mesh so the wire stitching solution looks great. Just curious as to why you used rivets instead of screws to re-secure the mesh? Also, how is your signal with CBS on the 8 footer?
Thanks! Yes, that thin galvanized steel wire made the mesh repairs pretty easy. The screws that I removed were in really poor condition, pretty much rusted fast. I could have replaced them with another screw sized a little bigger but I saw these rivets and really wanted to give them a try. Since they are aluminum they won't rust, they have a nice surface area to hold the mesh in place and if I ever need to take one out it will be easy to just pop off the head with a cordless drill. Also, since the box had 250 I still have plenty left for any dishes that may come my way in the future. Assume you mean CBS on 97W? The Unimesh is pointed stationary between 99W-101W right now to get channels from both sats. I do want to install an actuator later and see how it performs across the arc. As far as the Tek2000, last I tried I was able to get CBS on 97W but don't bother as we have a very strong CBS signal from OTA. :)

How does the actual dish, framing+mesh, of your tek2000 compare to the unimesh? I currently have a KTI 10ft which is great for signal but the ballast requirement may be beyond the space I want to put dish. I've been half looking for a used KTI 8ft but in case I can't find one was considering the option of attaching the tek2000 dish to my KTI mount although if the tek2000 mesh is made of window screening....

How does the actual dish, framing+mesh, of your tek2000 compare to the unimesh? I currently have a KTI 10ft which is great for signal but the ballast requirement may be beyond the space I want to put dish. I've been half looking for a used KTI 8ft but in case I can't find one was considering the option of attaching the tek2000 dish to my KTI mount although if the tek2000 mesh is made of window screening....
Sorry, wife needed some help with a few things. Here is a breakdown of the two dishes:

Unimesh

Reflector: Outer rib is 1" x 1", long ribs are 1" x 1" and cross braces are 1" x 1" aluminum
Ring and mount: 1/4" thick steel
Mesh: Extruded aluminum
Center plate: Large - fastens through four holes in long ribs

Tek2000

Reflector: Outer rib is 1" x 1", long ribs are 1" x 3/4" and cross braces are 9/16" x 9/16" aluminum
Ring and mount: 1/8" thick steel
Mesh: Extruded aluminum (not window screen)
Center plate: Small - bolts through center of plate to back (does not fasten through long ribs)

If you need any more info let me know. :)

Thank you for the detailed comparison. Any chance you might be able to take a couple of pictures of the tek2000 mount attached to the dish? Would I be correct in saying the major shortcoming of the tek2000 dish is the mount and not so much the actual dish? I haven't completely given up on keeping my 10 footer but need to look at my options.

Thank you for the detailed comparison. Any chance you might be able to take a couple of pictures of the tek2000 mount attached to the dish? Would I be correct in saying the major shortcoming of the tek2000 dish is the mount and not so much the actual dish? I haven't completely given up on keeping my 10 footer but need to look at my options.
No problem, I think I have a few pics saved from when I first installed it, if I can't find them then I will take a couple of close-ups tomorrow and post them. Yes, the reflector itself has been fine, in my opinion the mount is the weak part. Although I haven't had any breakage from snow loads or high winds I do feel it has too much play in it and the metal could be thicker. Glad I only got the 8', another member here had a 12' from them and the mount failed during bad winds. (http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3854472/)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts