8 million dollar judgment

tall grass

Original poster
May 18, 2012
Missouri
Hello, I got an email from an old site and it was saying an attorney would contact me. I think this is in regards to those dongle things. I didn't have anything to do with them at all. Just wondering if this would be in regards to those guys using dongles and it was just a blanket email.

I wouldn't worry about any letters from attorneys, or threating emails saying an attorney will contact you. A matter of fact, responding to a letter from an attorney or an email in this case can sometimes cause more harm than good as they know they got your attention.

Claude Greiner said:
I wouldn't worry about any letters from attorneys, or threating emails saying an attorney will contact you. A matter of fact, responding to a letter from an attorney or an email in this case can sometimes cause more harm than good as they know they got your attention.

Yes never never never respond to anything. Attorneys do tons of fishing. I think dtv was the king of this.

Take the UFC for example. They pay people $300 to do piracy investigations bars illegally showing the fight by not paying commercial rates.

When they catch you, a lawyer sends the bar or restaurant owner a letter threatening legal action and a hundred thousand dollar fine, unless they agree to settle with them for $10,000.

The attorneys are just fishing when they send out the letters. People get the letter and the first mistake they do is call the attorney.

All you did was acknowledge you received their letter, and provided information to the attorney how to contact you and pressure you into paying.

You throw away the letter, they don't know if you got it or not, and the only way they can tell if you got it, or of they even got the right person is to hire a local attorney, file a lawsuit and pay to have you served.

Chances are they are only going to go after the ones who respond to the threatening letter.

I know this because I used to do piracy investigations for the UFC.

Neither Yaz96 or sca (I'm guessing) nor myself have any idea what dongle is being referred to, which makes this thread all the more interesting....

Tampa8 said:
Neither Yaz96 or sca (I'm guessing) nor myself have any idea what dongle is being referred to, which makes this thread all the more interesting....

Lol

Not sure which FTA receiver it was for but dongle's were used to pirate Dish. If you bought something from that place they have the shipping records and contact info which is why you were contacted. If you paid for a service and it was not Dish you might be in trouble. If all you did was buy stuff throw out and delete all related e-mail and snail mail. JMO

If you bought something from that place they have the shipping records and contact info which is why you were contacted. If you paid for a service and it was not Dish you might be in trouble.
DirecTV used to do the same thing with people who had bought smartcard programmers. Yes, one use for them was to program cards that were used to pirate D*, but they also had perfectly legit uses (the cards are standard ISO-spec items). Now granted, if you used the cards for security/alarm systems or cards that you can load money on (like used in arcades nowadays), you probably wouldn't buy your programmer from "SatTV Piratez" !! :D

A buddy of mine was sued by them for buying a atmel processor chip for a school project. It was cheap and all he needed was one. Later on he got a letter and ignored it. Then he got a certified letter. His dad freaked and responded. They fought it in court and won but they were out thousands for fighting. It would have been cheaper to just settle with them and they know that.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

A buddy of mine was sued by them for buying a atmel processor chip for a school project. It was cheap and all he needed was one. Later on he got a letter and ignored it. Then he got a certified letter. His dad freaked and responded. They fought it in court and won but they were out thousands for fighting. It would have been cheaper to just settle with them and they know that.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Did a little digging this suite was not about a school project. Not a little old lady who downloaded one song and got sued for $250,000. Not a programmer that has other uses. This was a device who's sole purpose was to steal programming. That is why they not only sued but won. There are a lot of stories of over reaching suites this is not one of those. ;)

Here is the email. It was a mass emailing from the site. All you had to do was just register to view the site and read things on it. It is the list that was kept by the site. It doesn't say much other than you will be contacted the way I read it. Dear abadss.com member,

The United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida (Tampa Division) has entered a final judgment against Satscams.com finding it in violation of the DMCA and other federal statutes and finding that the satellite receiver software distributed on Satscams.com “was primarily designed, marketed and used to facilitate piracy of DISH Network programming.” DISH and NagraStar were awarded $8,993,600.00 in statutory damages.

The website Satscams.com, including all user records, posts, and files have been forfeited to DISH and NagraStar. You should expect to be contacted by an investigator or attorney working on behalf of DISH Network and NagraStar.

Abadss.com
I'm a legal sub to E* and if contacted will tell them I read all kinds of things on the net about sat and PC's. I also read stuff here and used to read stuff at DBSTalks too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)