8 New HD Local Markets coming to DISH

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I love it how they put WV locals on 61.5 which is smart yet they put other states around WV on 129 which is way lower in elevation and harder to hit... dish is stupid sometimes.

I love it how they put WV locals on 61.5 which is smart yet they put other states around WV on 129 which is way lower in elevation and harder to hit... dish is stupid sometimes.

The EA had limited spot beam capability for locals until fairly recently. The old sat only covered limited areas since it was a re-purposed satellite. The 129 slot had lots of spot beam capacity that covered lots of markets and that's why most of the HD markets not already on EA were placed on 129. It had little to do with geography at the time.

WHAG has updated their facility and has local programming (i.e., news) in HD.
That has no impact on Dish (or Directv or the local cableco) carrying HD programming from that station. I presume that they've been broadcasting network, primetime programming in HD for years, yes ?

If Dish decides to uplink it in HD, then yes, but for now it's SD only. WHAG has updated their facility and has local programming (i.e., news) in HD.

J

Well that is the question isn't it-----Will DISH do that?

The EA had limited spot beam capability for locals until fairly recently. The old sat only covered limited areas since it was a re-purposed satellite. The 129 slot had lots of spot beam capacity that covered lots of markets and that's why most of the HD markets not already on EA were placed on 129. It had little to do with geography at the time.

15 or so markets will be moving from east/west arc combos to 100 percent eastern sometime in the first quarter, opening up space on the western arc.

15 or so markets will be moving from east/west arc combos to 100 percent eastern sometime in the first quarter, opening up space on the western arc.

Do you happen to know which ones?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I hope Detroit isn't on that list. I have a good line of sight for WA but I'm iffy on EA. I know Detroit is on both arcs.

No St. Joseph, MO yet. They only need to add two channels (ABC and FOX) because CBS and NBC are imported from Kansas City. Guess it will be SOON.

We have had our locals (Charleston/Huntington WV) on 105, 129 and now 61.5. 105 was a pain in the butt to tune in and in the end we had some issues with low signal in clear line of site. Then when they put it on 129 it was a God send, in a way. It was way easier than 105 but more people got tree'd out due to low look angles. Now that they have them on 61.5 which was just recently it makes it way easier for line of site although it requires the new MPEG-4 receivers.

Glad to see my neighbors (Parkersburg and Clarksburg) getting their HD locals. I bet Parkersburg will have theirs launch on 61.5 as well. Seems like 61/72 gets most of the channels now with better look angles vs the 110/119/129 which required more satellites to tune in with worse look angles.

I hope Detroit isn't on that list. I have a good line of sight for WA but I'm iffy on EA. I know Detroit is on both arcs.

I am in the same boat, no los to EA satellites. they seem to be installing EA on new installs so you never know.
would think they would be markets further east than Detroit, one can only hope.

Most of these are short markets or unique situations
...Alpena-no NBC. Other 3 nets are owned by same person and are subchannels(CBS is on -1 Fox is -2 and ABC is -3)...

As an Alpena resident, I can tell you that ABC on 3 wasn't there just a month or so ago. In fact, when the conversion took place from SD to Digital, only WBKB-1 (CBS) was local. Fox was added shortly thereafter and now ABC. I have a sneaky hunch that NBC will not be far behind since we now get that from the Saginaw-Flint Michigan area. Personally, I preferred the ABC station that was also in Saginaw/Flint and the Fox that was in Traverse City. However, this is going to be fun to watch because, of the 3 channels that station operates, only 1 (CBS) is HD OTA. The other two are SD channels locally OTA. I suppose there is more of a satellite market here than OTA thus HD uplinks?

Seems if I was in the Alpena DMA I would ''move'' to TC or Detroit. The locals up there suck pretty bad.

Only the local programming sucks. The newscasts are really funny. Rumor is, everyone there gets paid minimum wage, so we cannot expect much. I certainly WOULD NOT ever move to Detroit. Alpena is paradise compared to Detroit. I've never been to TC so I cannot comment on it but it sucks most of the tourism away from the NE Michigan. People miss out on a lot by not coming here.

Clarksburg Locals

Four of the five stations for Clarksburg WV now show as HD. Anyone know if the other one WBOYD (ABC) will also become HD - so far that one is still showing as SD

Thanks

When I get home I will see if WHAG in HD was added to the DC market as well or whether we are still seeing it in inglorious SD>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts