8 out of 10 Balco boys fail steriods test

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
http://www.nypost.com/seven/1229200...failed_steroid_test_sports_brian_costello.htm

EIGHT OF BALCO 10 FAILED STEROID TEST

By BRIAN COSTELLO

December 29, 2006 -- The 115-page opinion issued by a federal appeals court in San Francisco on Wednesday reveals that eight of the 10 players implicated in the BALCO investigation failed steroid tests in 2003.

The identity of all 10 players is not known, but Barry Bonds, Jason Giambi and Gary Sheffield are known to be part of the group implicated in the BALCO investigation. If Bonds failed a drug test, it could help the U.S. Attorney's Office indict the Giants outfielder for perjury. It is not believed that any other players would face legal action.

Bonds' attorney, Michael Rains, said his client is not one of the players with a positive test.

"My response to that is that's all well and good, but that means two [of the 10] players didn't test positive and Barry is one of the two," Rains told The Post. "What a terrible break for the government that eight of the 10 players tested positive, but Barry didn't. I think it's another nail in their coffin in trying to go after Barry."

The 2-1 appeals court decision was a defeat for the Major League Baseball Players Association, which has been fighting the government's seizure of drug testing samples and data from two laboratories in 2004. The data includes the names of 104 players who failed tests for performance-enhancing drugs in 2003, the first year MLB tested. If the list is leaked and contains superstars never before implicated, it would deal another blow to baseball's integrity.

The investigators used warrants to conduct the raids and seized not only the data for 11 players (later reduced to 10) implicated by the BALCO case, but also for all 1,438 tests from 2003. They also took tests for 13 other sports organizations and three unaffiliated businesses, according to court documents.

The union contends this is a violation of privacy rights. The MLBPA won three earlier cases, but lost Wednesday in the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

"We respectfully disagree with the two judges who comprised the majority in this case," MLBPA Executive Director Donald Fehr said in a statement. "As the dissent noted, if this opinion is allowed to stand it will effectively repeal the Fourth Amendment for confidential electronic records.

"Under a search warrant seeking information about only 11 baseball players, confidential records for every player were seized, along with confidential records of thousands of other people with no connection to baseball, including many with no connection to sports. The government seeks to retain all of this private information about thousands of people who were not the subject of any criminal inquiry."

Fehr said the union will consult with its attorneys before deciding what to do next. The association could ask the full appeals court for a rehearing of the case before a larger panel or appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court.

The 2003 tests in question were supposed to be anonymous under "survey testing," as agreed to in the 2002 collective bargaining agreement. The samples could have been destroyed after the season, but for some reason were not.

Don't they have other matters they can deal with other than weather or not bonds lied.

I don't like bonds since his days in Pittsburgh but enough already.

Who cares anymore. It happened in MLB and now they are trying to fix the issue. It is time for them to move on and begin a new era.

1. if 8 of 10 failed, the MLB is more at risk to me here than any players because they failed to suspend anyone.

2. I really don't see how this helps the case vs Bond's on perjury. He claimed he didn't KNOWINGLY TAKE anything. They can't prove what he knew based on a failed test. That will only show what, if anything was in his system.

3. Based on #2 it just shows they are really only after one end result; making sure they tear down Bonds 110% so he doesn't garner any credit for breaking records because he is an a$$hole.

I think there might be more evidence then just a failed test for Bonds. I think a failed would just add to the case. I really dont know more then whats been said and printed but I think they are banking on a failed test. I too would like to see this whole thing go away. Bonds included.

Boy you would have to think that if he and his lawyer knew he failed in that testing session that they wouldn't be talking their current talk. But you are correct; not much being said and have to watch it play out.

Last edited:
Over 100 pro baseball players tested positive for steroids in an anonymous 2003 test. A judge just ruled that those tests weren't really anonymous and they can all be prosecuted. What a joke. Bonds and McGuire were all roided up when they broke the season home run record. I prefer to watch football and other sports better because I want action not statistics.

To be honest I don't really care if professional sports athletes takes steroids or not.

It's there body, let them do what they want.!protest

Barry Bonds is just a cry baby a**hole, I wish he would get suspended.:D

I'm a giants fan and Barry sucks. He was good about 5 years ago. I was hoping they wouldn't resign him. Overrated! The only sports person worse than him is Bobby Knight.

Oh Yea I forgot about him. Glad he left Frisco. He did make 1 great catch for SF to beat Green Bay at the end of the game in the playoffs once.

OK, so the new report out of all this is that Bonds had failed an amphetamine test (1st fail) over a year ago and has been tested even more than the average player and STILL no positives for steroids. And it going to be impossible to prove their cases against him for what he "knowingly took" or didn't take back in the day. So this is starting to seem more and more like they will fail to out him from the records like they want; unless someone comes up with some bullet-proof, first-hand evidence.

I can't believe that he claimed it wasn't his fault, blaming somebody else. Sorry but if you put it in your body, you are at fault regardless. I don't think anyone was trying to set him up or something.

OK, so the new report out of all this is that Bonds had failed an amphetamine test (1st fail) over a year ago and has been tested even more than the average player and STILL no positives for steroids. And it going to be impossible to prove their cases against him for what he "knowingly took" or didn't take back in the day. So this is starting to seem more and more like they will fail to out him from the records like they want; unless someone comes up with some bullet-proof, first-hand evidence.

Also they (MLB) do save drug tests results from years past. People are going to have to come to reality Bonds has not failed any Roid TEST at all PERIOD!! They looked up old record no failed test. Amphetamines LOL this is what they come up with? This is what TAX dollars are being spent on? People don't like him and wanted to believe the worst. They wanted to believe mr. i don't wanna talk about the past was all natural and just so nice of a guy.:rolleyes:

</IMG>

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070111/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbn_bonds_amphetamines

Report: Bonds failed amphetamine test
<!-- END HEADLINE -->
<!-- BEGIN STORY BODY -->Thu Jan 11, 10:31 AM ET

NEW YORK - Barry Bonds failed a test for amphetamines last season and originally blamed it on a teammate, the Daily News reported Thursday.
<SCRIPT language=javascript>if(window.yzq_d==null)window.yzq_d=new Object();window.yzq_d['SHFqGNG_fyA-']='&U=13bim1gco%2fN%3dSHFqGNG_fyA-%2fC%3d384892.10060610.10756380.1442997%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d3892108';</SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
When first informed of the positive test, Bonds attributed it to a substance he had taken from teammate Mark Sweeney's locker, the New York City newspaper said, citing several unnamed sources.

"I have no comment on that," Bonds' agent Jeff Borris told the Daily News on Wednesday night.

"Mark was made aware of the fact that his name had been brought up," Sweeney's agent Barry Axelrod told the Daily News. "But he did not give Barry Bonds anything, and there was nothing he could have given Barry Bonds."

Bonds, who always has maintained he never has tested positive for illegal drug use, already is under investigation for lying about steroid use.

A federal grand jury is investigating whether the 42-year-old Bonds perjured himself when he testified in 2003 in the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative steroid distribution case that he never knowingly used performance-enhancing drugs. The San Francisco Giants slugger told a 2003 federal grand jury that he believed his trainer Greg Anderson had provided him flaxseed oil and arthritic balm, not steroids.

Under baseball's amphetamines policy, which went into effect last season, players are not publicly identified for a first positive test. A second positive test for amphetamines results in a 25-game suspension. The first failed steroids test costs a player 50 games.

Bonds did not appeal the positive test, according to the Daily News, which made him subject to six drug tests by MLB over the next six months.

"We're not in a position to confirm or deny, obviously," MLB spokesman Rich Levin told the Daily News.

According to the newspaper, Sweeney learned of the Bonds' positive test from Gene Orza, chief operating officer of the Major League Baseball Players Association. Orza told Sweeney, the paper said, that he should remove any troublesome substances from his locker and should not share said substances. Sweeney said there was nothing of concern in his locker, according to the Daily News' sources.

An AP message for Sweeney was not immediately returned late Wednesday.
The Giants still are working to finalize complicated language in Bonds' $16 million, one-year contract for next season — a process that has lasted almost a month since he agreed to the deal Dec. 7 on the last day of baseball's winter meetings.

The language still being negotiated concerns the left fielder's compliance with team rules, as well as what would happen if he were to be indicted or have other legal troubles.

Borris has declined to comment on the negotiations. He didn't immediately return a message from the AP on Wednesday night.

Bonds is set to begin his 15th season with the Giants only 22 home runs shy of surpassing Hank Aaron's career record of 755.

Bonds, considered healthy again following offseason surgery on his troublesome left elbow, has spent 14 of his 21 big league seasons with San Francisco and helped the Giants draw 3 million fans in all seven seasons at their waterfront ballpark.

After missing all but 14 games in 2005 following three operations on his right knee, Bonds batted .270 with 26 homers and 77 RBIs in 367 at-bats in 2006.

He passed Babe Ruth to move into second place on the career home run list May 28.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts