8 Receivers Needed for New Home. Nervous about that Genie!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Morecowbell75

Original poster
Jun 7, 2015
New York
Hi all,

I have Directv now and I am VERY happy with it. My current home has 6 total receivers which includes 2 HR24-500 DVR's and then some H21, H24 and H25 HD receivers. Everything works great & i'd like to mimic this in my new home that I am moving to except I will need 8 receivers in my new home. 4 of the receivers will be in bedrooms/family rooms and 4 will be on a video wall in a "Sports Bar".

I am nervous about using the Genie as I have read that only 4 receivers can operate at once. Also, my Control4 (home automation) guy has recommended against the Genie as they have had issues controlling the boxes when they are sitting in a Rack.

Are normal HD receivers with HD DVR's still available? Can I order these instead? There will certainly be times (Football Sundays, Etc), when more than 4 Tv's will be active simultaneously. What is my best setup?

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

I have Directv now and I am VERY happy with it. My current home has 6 total receivers which includes 2 HR24-500 DVR's and then some H21, H24 and H25 HD receivers. Everything works great & i'd like to mimic this in my new home that I am moving to except I will need 8 receivers in my new home. 4 of the receivers will be in bedrooms/family rooms and 4 will be on a video wall in a "Sports Bar".

I am nervous about using the Genie as I have read that only 4 receivers can operate at once. Also, my Control4 (home automation) guy has recommended against the Genie as they have had issues controlling the boxes when they are sitting in a Rack.

Are normal HD receivers with HD DVR's still available? Can I order these instead? There will certainly be times (Football Sundays, Etc), when more than 4 Tv's will be active simultaneously. What is my best setup?

Thanks in advance.
You can only have 1 Genie anyways .... get the Genie and upgrade the rest of your recvrs to HR24's if you can ...
Yes, you can get HR24s still.

What Control 4 remote do you have ?
I have a friend that works at the local A/V store that does all the Control 4 stuff for them, programming, making sure everything works in the store and in clients homes, I can ask him and see if he's dealt with the Genies with it yet.

I would not think the Control 4 would have any issues with controlling the Genies, but I guess ya don't know till ya try it.

They have been doing Control 4 for years, but just recently got into the Home remotes for TV's.
I am using a URC MX 890 (they didn't have the Home remotes out at the time).
I had an issue with the 890 originally as the tech that programmed mine, set it up for the HR24 instead and there are slight differences, once the 44 info was input, the remote has worked flawless.

As far as the Control 4 remotes, I'll inquire if you want.

Seeing that you need 8 locations with DIRECTV®, your options are taking a Genie plus 3 minis then paying full lease price for the remaining receivers. Those receivers could be standalone HD boxes or HDDVRs. I would not take more then 3 clients for the limitation mentioned above.

There should no difference as far the remote control is concerned. Perhaps what you friend mentions is the lack of additional IR codes. This should be easily fixable with some independent IR blasters.

You can only have 1 Genie anyways .... get the Genie and upgrade the rest of your recvrs to HR24's if you can ...
Yes, you can get HR24s still.

What Control 4 remote do you have ?
I have a friend that works at the local A/V store that does all the Control 4 stuff for them, programming, making sure everything works in the store and in clients homes, I can ask him and see if he's dealt with the Genies with it yet.

I would not think the Control 4 would have any issues with controlling the Genies, but I guess ya don't know till ya try it.

They have been doing Control 4 for years, but just recently got into the Home remotes for TV's.
I am using a URC MX 890 (they didn't have the Home remotes out at the time).
I had an issue with the 890 originally as the tech that programmed mine, set it up for the HR24 instead and there are slight differences, once the 44 info was input, the remote has worked flawless.

As far as the Control 4 remotes, I'll inquire if you want.

Very much appreciated!!!

Well you are moving so you can take the equipment you have now and add to it. I'd add a genie and a client. Put the genie and two DVRs and the h21 in the sports room and the client and other non DVRs in the rest of the family and bedrooms. Or get one more DVR and have the genie and three DVRs in the sports bar. Then you could schedule records to any DVR from any room.

And genie are great.

Nothing wrong with the genies, it's the minis that suck

I've got a couple of wireless clients and while I'd hardly call them speedy, for using in rooms that aren't used all that much or when viewing is pretty limited there is nothing wrong with them. I was a bit leery of them but my new house was only prewired for two locations (great room and master). I've got the minis in the spare bedroom and my office (kept my old HR24 for the master). They make for a nice clean installation and if I need to, I can even move them around quite easily.

I cannot take my current receiver to the new home because both homes are remaining. Is there a high cost for getting 3 or 4 regular HD receivers to compliment the 3 genie clients?

I cannot take my current receiver to the new home because both homes are remaining. Is there a high cost for getting 3 or 4 regular HD receivers to compliment the 3 genie clients?

$99 a piece. I would just bite the bullet and keep you're system as is for now instead of spending a ton of money, I'd take the 2 HR24's, your H24 and H25 and have the genies and 3 clients added. That shouldn't cost you anything I wouldn't think. I see this type of work order all the time and the customer was given the offer for free.

Do you mean you are setting up a second account for the new home, i.e. two accounts in total? That's the only way this will work, you can't have installations in two different locations on one account. If so, then you are getting the correct information. But the only way you will get the Genie and three clients free is I think if the new account is in a different name (a new customer). And if you use the Mover's Connection to set up the second house you can get the Genie and three clients free but then you can't use the first house system.
I think it would help if you told us exactly what you are trying to achieve in terms of accounts and locations.

You'll have to ask when you set things up ... sometimes they can give you good deals on addl. recvrs, otherwise a HD recvr is usually $99 and a HD DVR is usually $199. Genies are more.

Sorry Hutch, didn't see your post till I posted. :(

You'll have to ask when you set things up ... sometimes they can give you good deals on addl. recvrs, otherwise a HD recvr is usually $99 and a HD DVR is usually $199. Genies are more.

Sorry Hutch, didn't see your post till I posted. :(

The new house will be a brand new and separate account. It will be in my wife's name since the existing house is in my name.

OK, Genie plus three clients free. HD receivers at $99 each.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts