AZBOX 8 seconds from channel to channel?!!?!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Before trying out timeshift, please ensure that your HDD is properly formatted, ideally as EXT3. You should first try to do a manual test recording using the record button and making sure you can play it back before trying timeshift.

If your unit freezes at the AzBox starting message, it does not mean that you bricked it. Simply unplug the power cord from the unit for at least 30 seconds and plug it back and it should boot normally.

I have unplugged it, but not for 30 seconds.. Ill try that. I was using the format feature on the STB first. I will try what you mentioned, but before hand, how to i backup the settings??

Basically this receiver is using a defective kernel 3.5.5 which was abandoned by European developers around 18 months ago after only very short period with major problems in favour of the 3.3.1 kernel (which was a revert back) Currently Enigma2 uses the 3.9.2 kernel.
In a recent release by Surge for the ME model the kernel changed to 3.3.1 which in my opinion is the most stable one. I believe he has the same plans for the MiniMe in this upcoming release. so hopefully this will cure most of these bugs.

Oh, and unplugging everything DID NOT WORK. The box is a paper weight again. I left it in paper weight status and put my Amiko back on. What a joke.

Basically this receiver is using a defective kernel 3.5.5 which was abandoned by European developers around 18 months ago after only very short period with major problems in favour of the 3.3.1 kernel (which was a revert back) Currently Enigma2 uses the 3.9.2 kernel.
In a recent release by Surge for the ME model the kernel changed to 3.3.1 which in my opinion is the most stable one. I believe he has the same plans for the MiniMe in this upcoming release. so hopefully this will cure most of these bugs.

Well, in the meantime, the company should not be selling the product. That is not how you create customer loyalty.

Reactions: N6BY
On another note about the PMT table, how come this doesn't appear to effect the Amiko or the MicroHD. They zip up every channel within about a second, with exception to some low DVBs2 low signal stations, it may take 3 or four seconds. But, that is like maybe 3 channels out of my 1000 channels.

On another note about the PMT table, how come this doesn't appear to effect the Amiko or the MicroHD. They zip up every channel within about a second, with exception to some low DVBs2 low signal stations, it may take 3 or four seconds. But, that is like maybe 3 channels out of my 1000 channels.

Most STBs do not require properly configured PMT to play a programmed service. As long as the audio or video service has been programmed into the receiver with the correct carrier parameters and PIDs, the service should play. In addition, the STB typically checks the tables for service changes and updates the STB with these changes. Example: With properly built TP tables and a compliant STB, the STB tunes the service and then compares the stored service data to the tuned TP table data. The STB may detect additional audio services or closed captioning PIDs are available. These additional PIDs and associations are stored in the STB for the user to select. For some reason, this STB must validate the PMT before playing a service.

I have unplugged it, but not for 30 seconds.. Ill try that. I was using the format feature on the STB first. I will try what you mentioned, but before hand, how to i backup the settings??

To backup your settings, go to: Settings -> Manage settings -> Image settings: Backup after connecting a USB drive to the unit.

Restoring your backup is just as easy:
Settings -> Manage settings -> Image settings: Restore then select your time stamped backup file off your connected USB drive.

Keep in mind that the miniMe American edition firmware is significantly different from the third party Enigma 2 firmware used on European AzBox models.

Because of this, the kernel 3.5.5 issues with Enigma 2 don't necessarily apply to our firmware even if running the same kernel version. Not only is our DVB layer code is totally different than theirs, we also use some DVB modules specifically customized for our firmware.

I would not consider Kernel 3.5.5 as "defective" since most of the issues that people thought were associated with it are actually bugs in the DVB drivers which were later resolved after they started using Kernel 3.3.1.

P.S. Better not let Linus find out that you are claiming that one of his kernels is "defective" or he may get real pissed off at you as per http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/04/torvalds_kernel_bug_rage/

Last edited:
After having all the AZbox receivers over the years, the most stable firmwares for me were always under Kernel 3.3.1.
There were rumblings some time back that Enigma 2 was again going back to 3.3.1, but this has not yet happened.

I like your 3.3.1 Kernel version for the ME, much less buggy. I take it we will see the release for the MiniMe around Xmas time?

Buy a TBS 6925, DekTec DTA 2137C or the new TBS 6983 PCI-e tuners. Plenty there to keep you busy and you can be your own engineer! :) No STB can come close to the capabilities of these cards.

Are you aware of any open source software that act like STB's that drive these cards , that you can work with so your not starting from scratch?

Reactions: N6BY
I am a software engineer. Are there any open source DVBS/S2 linux based stuff that people can work with and tweak with?
I'm also a software developer and share your interest in open source DVB-S2.

Buy a TBS 6925, DekTec DTA 2137C or the new TBS 6983 PCI-e tuners. Plenty there to keep you busy and you can be your own engineer! :) No STB can come close to the capabilities of these cards.
I agree that these cards appear quite capable. At first glance it looks like the driver for the 2 above mentioned TBS devices is proprietary (binary distribution only), but maybe I'm wrong and someone can correct me. However, the DekTec DTA 2173C has an SDK available to software engineers! See http://www.dektec.com/Downloads/DriversSDKs.asp

Anyway, I just found this SDK, but I am way too tired to continue researching this. Its nearly 4 AM in California now. More later...

Well, in the meantime, the company should not be selling the product. That is not how you create customer loyalty.
If I were you I would either return the AzBox or throw it away. It seems some others here are having major problems too. Don't waste your time with it.

I'm currently looking at my options with a DekTec or TBS card that Titanium mentioned.

I recently got bought an Amiko Mini HD SE from Titanium that works very well and I am happy with. It will do fine until I can put together a system with the features and flexibility that I want.

Reactions: Mr Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)