80% Signal, 0% quality

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dasbrow

Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Ontario
My set up is old as I am just trying to get started in FTA and see how I like it :)

Viewsat VS Pro
Starchoice 60e with LM-2738-SC

I am currently aiming at 101w which I think is AMC I have tried to aim it at 110 echostar 11 and had the same issue. I am wondering if there is a compatiblilty issue with the LNB and the view sat?

Current settings: LNB Freq 10750, 22khz tone on (using the B side of the LNB since it's in the centre) TP freq is currently on 3878 as I am not sure what to set it to.

Thanks!

Ku band or Cband what are you trying to pick up? Ku band is 5 numbers and C band is 4 numbers for transponders. if you have only one dish with one lnb you don't need a 22khz switch. If you have two dishes its different you can use that switch. look for the hotel mux, bvn amerkia channel or the pentagon channel those are the strongest transponders you can pickup. AMC 4 is called now SES-1. If you need help just ask thats what we are here for.

Dan Rose

First get a sat finder meter. A cheap one would be my picture. Under $20
So it sounds like the receiver has pre programs sat in it. Find the sat in the list you are aiming for that has 5 digit transponder numbers, KU band. Some sat broadcast both C and KU. C is the 4 digit transponders. Play around with the menus and do a scan. Blind scan power scan.
Don't bother with the trans that are listed.
Read the book or look at
http://www.satelliteguys.us/downloads.php?do=file&id=10
From the list at
http://www.satelliteguys.us/downloads.php?do=cat&id=2&page=11

Aiming a dish takes time and being off a 1" can be a lot.
When using the meter above find a sat then turn down the knob and find it again.
It takes time BUT you should find something.
Please post your findings.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

The Starchouce 60e is a Ku dish, kinda small, but workable
(24"? Gonna take a good signal)
It has a two-LNB feedhorn.
One on bore sight, and one slightly offset.
Turning on the 22khz selects one, as the op said.
His only mistake is using a C-band frequency instead ok one for a Ku bird.
The rest is just down to aiming a fixed dish, and setting the receiver correctly. :)

AMC1 @ 103W TP freq= 11940 <<< try this one. Other settings look OK. www.dishpointer.com Enter your location and select 103W AMC1 for the satellite. Skew= Twist of the LNBF in the holder. When looking at the face of the dish-. If the satellite is east of your location it's normally CW, West=CCW. The skew on this satellite is 26° clockwise of what's indicated.

Well, it's an elliptical dish, so ya skew the dish.

We have members with experience with this dish/LNB. (iceberg for one)
Wish one of them would speak up. I only know what I've read & remember.

Anole is correct, you skew the dish. The SC 60e dish has 90 as its zero skew. So, for example, here my skew for 101W is 20.1, so you add 90+20.1 and adjust the dish to 110.1 (obviously, if the skew is a minus number you take that away from 90).

What channel(s) are you trying to get? While the 60e is a bit small, I have two that I use, and get the channels on 101W without any problem (strong satellite in my area) and that is on an LNB attached to the 60e that is 6 degrees off-centre.

Your right, skew the dish. so the question remains, what channel are you looking for?? Check>>TheList AMC 1 is not at 101W but is at 103W. Ku band freqs are 5 digits (11700 to 12200) C band are 4 digits (3700 to 4200) Your dish and LNB are only Ku capable.

Hi Guys, I got a little too frustrated with the thing and dumped the dish and went and bought a 36" with LNB. I've tried a few different sats and none seem to come up with quality at all. Trying 119 right now and nothing. I am starting to wonder if the receiver is bad, what's the chances of that?

BTW. I was amazed to see how many replies I received, you guys are awesome!

It's possible your receiver is bad, but more likely your setup is incorrect or you have another issue.

What kind of LNBF did you get?

Are you skewing your LNBF for whatever sat you re trying to receive?

Are you setting your receiver to look for an active transponder?

Do you have a tv and your receiver out at your dish and using a known good coax?

119W is a circular sat, Ku band FTA stuff is linear.

The more info you can give the better, and pics are always good, someone may see an obvious problem.

If it wasn't mentioned, are you aiming with a compass?
Did you use a sat calculator that takes into consideration local magnetic deviation?
( N ain't North ) . :)

Is your mounting post plumb (vertical)?

Also, what kind of coax are you using?

Last edited:
Along with programming an active transponder, another consideration is to move the dish in small steps, and wait for the receiver to lock onto the signal. Some transponder receiver combinations may take a while. If not right "on" 10 seconds isn't excessive. Left or right move - wait - continue. If you went past the 'line' drawn by dishpointer.com, and got no Quality indication, adjust the elevation slightly and repeat.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)