811 & 921 Upgrade Info

steve615

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jan 6, 2006
TN
I just got off of the phone with Marc Lumpkin at DISH a few minutes ago.We had approximately a 10 minute discussion in regards to the upgrade options for 811 & 921 subscribers.He told me that if people are in the current position of owning the 811 & 921 receivers the following information.If you wait until April 1 to make the upgrade,you will get the VIP 211,the VIP 622 and a DISH 1000 dish installed for $249 upfront,minus a $200 mail in rebate,which brings the cost down to $99,tax not included on this figure,since it varies by state.I asked him if this is going to be a lease plan and he told me that it is not a lease plan,if you own your equipment currently.He told me that I was apparently in a unique situation.He was under the impression that almost all HD subs were doing leases on their equipment.I told him that apparently,I am one of a few that has always owned his equipment and never leased.He put me on hold for approx. 2 minutes while he discussed my situation with someone else,got back on the line with me and gave me the information that I am letting everyone on here know about now.There is no extra lease fee to pay every month,but,we will have to pay the DVR fee monthly,in addition to whatever programming package we subscribe to.Keep in mind,that this information is in regards to HD subscribers that own an and use the 811 & 921 receivers currentlyto get their programming.I also asked him about why they are insisting on the install fee,if we only have to swap the receivers out.He told me that the DISH 1000 antenna would have to be installed,it will replace the 2 dish setup.The DISH 1000 will pick up all programming,SD and HD.He also told me that the channels that are on the 61.5 bird will be moved to 129,that is the reasoning behind having the DISH 1000 installed.I hope this info helps to clear up some of the confusion among the 811 & 921 owners.So,in summary,if you currently own an 811 & 921 and they are active currently to receive the programming,wait until April 1 to get a VIP 211,a VIP 622 and have the DISH 1000 installed for $99,after the $200 mail in rebate. :)

steve615 said:
I just got off of the phone with Marc Lumpkin at DISH a few minutes ago.We had approximately a 10 minute discussion in regards to the upgrade options for 811 & 921 subscribers.He told me that if people are in the current position of owning the 811 & 921 receivers the following information.If you wait until April 1 to make the upgrade,you will get the VIP 211,the VIP 622 and a DISH 1000 dish installed for $249 upfront,minus a $200 mail in rebate,which brings the cost down to $99,tax not included on this figure,since it varies by state.I asked him if this is going to be a lease plan and he told me that it is not a lease plan,if you own your equipment currently.He told me that I was apparently in a unique situation.He was under the impression that almost all HD subs were doing leases on their equipment.I told him that apparently,I am one of a few that has always owned his equipment and never leased.He put me on hold for approx. 2 minutes while he discussed my situation with someone else,got back on the line with me and gave me the information that I am letting everyone on here know about now.There is no extra lease fee to pay every month,but,we will have to pay the DVR fee monthly,in addition to whatever programming package we subscribe to.Keep in mind,that this information is in regards to HD subscribers that own an and use the 811 & 921 receivers currentlyto get their programming.I also asked him about why they are insisting on the install fee,if we only have to swap the receivers out.He told me that the DISH 1000 antenna would have to be installed,it will replace the 2 dish setup.The DISH 1000 will pick up all programming,SD and HD.He also told me that the channels that are on the 61.5 bird will be moved to 129,that is the reasoning behind having the DISH 1000 installed.I hope this info helps to clear up some of the confusion among the 811 & 921 owners.So,in summary,if you currently own an 811 & 921 and they are active currently to receive the programming,wait until April 1 to get a VIP 211,a VIP 622 and have the DISH 1000 installed for $99,after the $200 mail in rebate. :)
I also wanted to add that there was no mention by Mr. Lumpkin that we have to commit to any kind of programming package for any amount of time.

If they are planning on moving the channels to 129 what happens to us NorthEasters who can't pick it up?

AndyOI said:
If they are planning on moving the channels to 129 what happens to us NorthEasters who can't pick it up?

That's what I was thinking as well. I figured as long as I'm set up for 61.5 it should be okay. I'd rather just have to swap out my 811 without having to worry about a new dish installation as well.

Wait a minute here I am just a bit confused. Yesterday it was a $49 upgrade from a 811 to a 211, so I think his $99 figure is incorrect on this front. From my understanding 921/942 owners will be able to get the 622 for a final cost of $99 after the mail in rebate or credit to your bill as this is not clear yet either. The question that I am sure most 811 owners/lessees have out there is weather or not they also get the $200 rebate if they go up to a 622.

AndyOI said:
I had the same question. This part can't be accurate. Us NorthEasters can't see 129.

In the other direction....

....I called this afternoon and was told by a CSR that it would cost me $99 to upgrade my owned 811 to a leased 211. $49 for the setup and $49 for "shipping" of the 211 to the dealer. I decided to go along with that for the time being, and told him to sign me up for this as well as the Gold w/ Locals.

After 2 minutes of hold, I was told that neither could be ordered before 1/Feb.

Can we ask Mark when he will be answering calls at 1-800-333-DISH?

Sorry for any confusion.The discussion that I had with Marc Lumpkin was in regards to people who own and use the 811 and 921 receivers.I don't have a 942.I use 1 811 and 1 921 to get my programming.I was actually trying to contact Heather Black when my phone call to DISH originated.I had talked to her on the phone once before,she asked me to call her back if I still had questions or concerns after the Charlie Chat.She didn't answer the phone this time and there were diffirent options to get in touch with different people within the DISH management.I don't recall all of the options and names to get in touch with.The number that I called is included on one of the DISH press releases last week.

Steve615,
I don't know if you asked, but I assume this deal is the same for 6000/921 owners? If this is actually true, it's almost too good to believe.

Brad

Aren't the VOOM ch's already mirrored to 129 from 61.5? I think it has to stay that way because of certain areas that can't catch the sig from 129.

Bradtothebone said:
Steve615,
I don't know if you asked, but I assume this deal is the same for 6000/921 owners? If this is actually true, it's almost too good to believe.
Brad
Hi Brad,no,I didn't ask him if the deal was the same for any other receivers.I was just asking about the 811 & 921 in particular because that is what I own and use. I won't speculate on any other receivers.If you can find the press release from last week,I have seen it posted in messages in this forum,it has Heather Blacks number listed at the bottom of the press release.This press release was also made available on the DISH website.

Bradtothebone said:
Steve615,
Brad

They did mention last night that 6000s, 921s and 942s would receive the same upgrade options for the same prices.

steve615 said:
I just got off of the phone with Marc Lumpkin at DISH a few minutes ago.We had approximately a 10 minute discussion in regards to the upgrade options for 811 & 921 subscribers....I asked him if this is going to be a lease plan and he told me that it is not a lease plan,if you own your equipment currently.He told me that I was apparently in a unique situation.He was under the impression that almost all HD subs were doing leases on their equipment...So,in summary,if you currently own an 811 & 921 and they are active currently to receive the programming,wait until April 1 to get a VIP 211,a VIP 622 and have the DISH 1000 installed for $99,after the $200 mail in rebate. :)
:yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes

I walk away from my computer for a little over an hour, right?

I actually do a couple of things indicating I might actually have a life.

I come back here and, viola, Mark Lumpkin solved my concerns.

I can see the April Fool's Day (How apropos) Dish call now:

Me: OK, I'd like to order my new 622's.

E*: OK, that's $598 plus tax, and you'll receive a $400 rebate. When would you like to schedule an appointment to install your new leased receivers?

Me: Hold the phone, I thought it was $249 with a $200 rebate and I OWNED the receivers. That's what I learned from some guy who talked to Mark Lumpkin.

E* Oh yes, we're aware of that. That was a special promotional offer ONLY for people who know Mark Lumpkin, personally, have ONLY an 811 and 921, and are able to say Mark's full name without laughing. I notice you SOLD your 811 and replaced it with a 921, AND a 942 and I distinctly noticed a note of frivolity in your voice.

Me: OK, you caught me, sign me up. When can I expect the 622 to fail and may I premake an appointment to have it replaced?

Last edited:
I wonder what markets will have their HD LIL's on witch bird? 129 for west coast & 61.5 for east coast? This may be one reason that that the Dish 1000 is the replacement for some. It looks like all HD will be on 129 & 61.5 with the exception of the HD LIL's. Half on one Sat and Half on the other or something like that.

tunagimp said:

E*: OK, that's $598 plus tax, and you'll receive a $400 rebate. When would you like to schedule an appointment to install your new leased receivers?

Me: Hold the phone, I thought it was $249 with a $200 rebate and I OWNED the receivers. That's what I learned from some guy who talked to Mark Lumpkin.

E* Oh yes, we're aware of that. That was a special promotional offer ONLY for people who know Mark Lumpkin, personally, have ONLY an 811 and 921, and are able to say Mark's full name without laughing. I notice you SOLD your 811 and replaced it with a 921, a 942 and I distinctly noticed a note of frivolity in your voice.

Me: OK, you caught me, sign me up. When can I expect the 622 to fail and may I premake and appointment to have it replaced?
LOL....All I can say is take it for what you will.I'm just letting people know what was said to me. :)

tunagimp said:

E* Oh yes, we're aware of that. That was a special promotional offer ONLY for people who know Mark Lumpkin, personally, have ONLY an 811 and 921, and are able to say Mark's full name without laughing. I notice you SOLD your 811 and replaced it with a 921, AND a 942 and I distinctly noticed a note of frivolity in your voice.

Me: OK, you caught me, sign me up. When can I expect the 622 to fail and may I premake an appointment to have it replaced?
thats very funny:p