811 and 522

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jherrin

Original poster
Aug 11, 2004
I just ordered DISH and it will be installed tomorrow. I ordered an 811 for my HDTV and a 522 to be used in both the Bedroom and on the HDTV. What would be the best way to install this? If I put the 522 in the basement, could I program the 811 remote to control the 522 via UHF and the 811 via infrared on the same remote? Or should I put both receivers next to the HDTV, but wouldn't I need like 4 coax cables running through the wall? If I understand it right, the 811 needs its own cable, the 522 needs two of its own and needs another one to back-feed to the other TV. So if thats the case, wouldn't putting it in the basement be the best option, only needing to run one more cable through the wall? If the 811 remote wouldn't work for both receivers, is there a universal remote that would?

I have a similar setup at my house. What I did was put both receivers in the main room and have the 811 hit the HDTV w/ DVI and the 522 with S-Video - I also have the audio for both receivers going to a Dolby Digital receiver thru digital optical cables.

I had Dish bring all the lines from the dish right into the Living Room and the took the old cable line that used to feed the room and used it to output TV2 (from the 522) back to the rest of the house.

You could put the 522 in the basement - but you would lose the S-Video connection and the DD audio output. when you watch SD on a HD set - you want to bring it in the best way poss - since the HD set is going to show all the flaws.

As far as the remotes go - you could use the same remote for the 811 and TV1 (522) - but you'd have to change the code in the remote every time you wanted to switch. I'm sure there is a universal remote that would work - but with the 5 other remotes I had - I didn't care about one more. So I just use one for the 811 - and one for TV1 (522). I also have 2 other UHF remotes throughout the house for the other TV's on TV2.

Hope that helps - BTW - you'll read a lot of negativity on this forum - but I think this setup is fantastic - until the 942 comes out!

Thanks for your help, is there a way they can bring it straight into the living room without it looking too messy? (i.e. cables strung through windows and around walls?)

Hefe's recommendation is spot-on. There's one possible enhancement, tho, if you find it useful, and that's to ALSO feed the TV1 RF output into the house wiring. This allows you to view 2 different shows in 2 different rooms elsewhere in the house. To make it usable, you'll need a UHF remote for TV1. They are available, but will probably cost extra.

As for the cabling, there's no way to say - I can't see your house from here. :) That being said, I usually drill straight through the exterior wall to where the cables need to be on the inside, then I mount faceplates that will look similar to your existing house cable, except there will be 2 jacks on each.

And because you'll have 3 tuners, that means you're probably going to have a Quad LNBF. Make sure the installer runs the fourth cable at least to the ground block so that you can easily get to it later to add a fourth tuner. It shouldn't be a problem - he's probably using dual RG-6 anyway.

This sounds like exactly what I want to do. How much is involved in doing the coax wiring, though?

My current setup is pretty standard. I have a satellite dish that feeds two different (single cable) outlets in two different rooms. I'd like to put my 522 and 811 in the living room (TV1), so I assume that means I'd need three cables coming from the satellite into that outlet, and a forth to send the signal from the living room to the bedroom. That's a lot of cables on one outlet! Is there a splitter I can get so I only need one incoming cable and one outgoing on the outlet? And how do I wire up the outgoing to the bedroom? Thanks!

I guess another alternative is some kind of wireless solution to stream the video to TV2. Then I won't have to punch open any walls. Anyone have any luck with that?

rhasselbaum said:
I guess another alternative is some kind of wireless solution to stream the video to TV2. Then I won't have to punch open any walls. Anyone have any luck with that?

rhasselbaum, I have been using the Terk Leapfrog 2.4 GHz. wireless system to connect my family room 501 into my main HT (about 25'). It provides an acceptable picture but is subject to interference from various sources (microwave oven is the worst offender).

NightRyder

rhasselbaum said:
This sounds like exactly what I want to do. How much is involved in doing the coax wiring, though?

My current setup is pretty standard. I have a satellite dish that feeds two different (single cable) outlets in two different rooms. I'd like to put my 522 and 811 in the living room (TV1), so I assume that means I'd need three cables coming from the satellite into that outlet, and a forth to send the signal from the living room to the bedroom. That's a lot of cables on one outlet! Is there a splitter I can get so I only need one incoming cable and one outgoing on the outlet? And how do I wire up the outgoing to the bedroom? Thanks!

NO - you MUST have 3 incoming feed cables to feed the 3 tuners. An exception would be to use the DPP44 with a DP Separator - expensive solution compared to just running an extra feed.

However, I guess I don't understand your current setup. If you already have a 522, and have had it for more than a month or so, it WILL have TWO feed cables attached to it, but you say you only have one feed to the bedroom. Please clarify.

You can avoid the extra cable out for part of the run by using a diplexer - but if you're running 3 cables, you might as well run four - actually a pair of dual RG-6.

If you've never punched wire through walls, you should probably find someone experienced to help you so that you don't hit anything - like electrical lines!!! However, you already have a feed location to work with - depending on "stuff" it might be easy to just follow the existing line with a second pair of RG-6.

SimpleSimon said:
However, I guess I don't understand your current setup. If you already have a 522, and have had it for more than a month or so, it WILL have TWO feed cables attached to it, but you say you only have one feed to the bedroom. Please clarify.

Sorry, I meant that I am getting a 522 (and an 811). Currently, I have one single tuner receiver in each room, but that will change soon.

rhasselbaum said:
Sorry, I meant that I am getting a 522 (and an 811). Currently, I have one single tuner receiver in each room, but that will change soon.
OK. If I understand you correctly, the room that you want to feed with 522-TV2 already has an RG-6 that goes to the dish.

If so, the TV2 output can be backfed up to 'near' the dish through one of the 3 satellite feeds that will be going to the living room. This is done via devices know as diplexers. The installer should know about them.

Great. Thanks for the tips. I have a feeling the installer is going to look at me like I have three heads when I tell him what I want to do.

The set-up I did for my friends was to have the 811 and the 522 in the den. The 811 feeds the HDTV with DVI. Both the 811 and TV1 feed the A/V receiver w/DD opticals, TV1 w/ S-Video. Also, TV1 feeds the VCR with A/V which feeds back panel input 1 on the 811. TV2 feeds back panel input 2 on the 811. The TV1 and TV2 RF outputs feed multiple TVs around the house. Endless possibilities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)