811 and UHF Interference

Phaetos

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
Ok fellas, I need some major help before I go postal on Dish "Advanced Level" tech support. I have had a 811 and a 510 for about 4 months now. Everything has been working just fine and dandy, no problems whatsoever. Suddenly out of the blue about 3 weeks ago the remote for the 811 quit responding. Well, it worked when it wanted to. Replaced the batteries, it worked. Then didn't work. Replaced them again. Same thing. Dish sent me a new remote. Worked for about 1 day, then quit. They sent me a little attenuator to put on the antennae input to change the frequency to eliminate uhf interference AND sent me a new 811 in case that didn't work. Neither worked. Used the attentuator, and replaced the box. It actually worked for a few days, now it's doing it AGAIN! Nothing in my house has changed, nothing at all. I have tried all possibilites I can think of and all that have been suggested from Dish. If I get up and walk to the back of the 811 and point the remote at the antenna it works. If I use the remote from the 510, it works just fine. Except that it starts changing the channels on the 510. I understand that the 811 is UHF only, which is such a stupid idea that I won't even go there. What can I do? The last person I talked to wanted me to move the entire unit. I told her she was an idiot. Yes, I understand they are reading from their little script. I asked if I had done every possible "recommended" solution and it still didn't work, what contigency did Dish have to make their customer happy? She told me "I have given you every possible solution that we have". Can I talk to your supervisor? "They have the same information we do" Oh so they are idiot's too. Can I get them to send me a 510 remote and program on a different channel, would that work?

Please help, this is driving me insane.

Phaetos

The 510 remote is not UHF pro but signals by IR as well as UHF so that is why it works.

That you can get your remote to work from behind suggest your antenna stub is being blocked from your seat location. Use a 3-6 foot coax (RG-59 is fine) and a feedthru to move your stub to a better line of sight. This is especially important for metal rack or with a lot of equipment blocking the LOS.
-Ken

That's what I'm saying. Nothing has changed, the receiver is in the same place it has been for 3 months and the seating position hasn't changed either. I dunno. It's got me.

have you tried using a short piece of coax to entend or move the small UHF Antenna?

I had a similar problem to yours pop up when I moved my 811 to by bedroom. The UHF antenna did not like being close to the LCD screen for some reason...and when the 811 was where I wanted it, the remote was spotty at best. I grabbed a short coax cable, moved the antenna out to a different position and that did the trick...been working fine ever since.

Maybe that would work for you too.

Get a basic blue button IR DISH remote and use it in the same room as the 811 just make sure the 811 and 510 are set to different addresses if they are in the same room.

Phaetos said:
Ok fellas, I need some major help before I go postal on Dish "Advanced Level" tech support. I have had a 811 and a 510 for about 4 months now. Everything has been working just fine and dandy, no problems whatsoever. Suddenly out of the blue about 3 weeks ago the remote for the 811 quit responding.

Please help, this is driving me insane.

Phaetos
I'm shooting in the dark here but you say everything worked just fine but now doesn't. I don't know if you live in an apartment, house, live in a remote area, or next to a business? Could something be interfering with the UHF signal? Did anyone rear you add any new equipment near abode that emits RF? It sounds like you live next to a UHF transmitter for a TV station that is in service most of the time.

boy921 said:
I'm shooting in the dark here but you say everything worked just fine but now doesn't. I don't know if you live in an apartment, house, live in a remote area, or next to a business? Could something be interfering with the UHF signal? Did anyone rear you add any new equipment near abode that emits RF? It sounds like you live next to a UHF transmitter for a TV station that is in service most of the time.

Actually, the only thing that did change was the neighbor moved out :p
I live in a rural area and houses aren't real close. I mean I can see them, but not as close as a subdivision would be. If they added something, it must be a huge output amp. I think someone decided to launch a ham radio tower or CB tower around here and threw up a large antenna and a even larger amp.

I also have a 811. The same thing started happening a couple of weeks ago. I had to change the remote address. I changed to something like 12 and everything is fine.

I read your post and did not see where you had changed the address.

By the way I had already changed it several months ago and some how it got set back to 2. Kind of weird

The techs had me change the address several times during troubleshooting and it didn't help.

I have had alot of problems with the 811's uhf remote so I use a regular dishnetwork ir remote. For the life of me I can't figure out why they didn't make the original remotes uhf/ir

Phaetos said:
Currently set on 1.

Thats not good. It will most likely never work set to one.

Set it to like 12. After you set it power on and off the receiver. Go back in and make sure it is still set to 12.

You can set the address anything from 1 to 15.

It was defaulted to 1 by installation and tech always sets it to one. Oh well. It's been working fine for 3 days now with no being made in the stb, antenna, or sitting arrangement. There is definately something wierd here.

*****Inside info here: the reason the 811 rolled out as a uhf-primary reciever/remote is for the convience of the many people who to hide their hd equipment, or keep it in a 'control room' and *not* in their home theater on display****

I just started having the same problem a few days ago. The only thing that I changed was that I connected the 811 via DVI. Could that be causing the problem? I will try to switch back to component and see what happens.

SBD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)