811 Audio Problems--Help!!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tunagimp

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 24, 2004
I am the semi-proud owner of the Dish "HDTV in a Box" package with the 34" Direct View Monitor.

I purchaced this even after the mixed reviews that the Monitor has received on this and other boards. Despite my reservations, the monitor has been flawless and I am delighted with it's performance. The 811 is another matter. I have endured the "receiver freeze," the "Info Not Available," and the "49%" bugs. None of these bothered me. However, my currecnt problem is one neither I or E* can figure out.

The sound quality of the 811 is far worse than that coming from the 501 it sits right next to on my A/V rack. I run both via Toslink to Audio Inputs on a Panasonic XA-25 Digital Receiver. The SQ of the 501 is bright, crisp and full. The sound from the 811 is a full 30 db lower in volume, and sounds muffled at times. This occurs on both SA and HDTV. I receive full 5.1 audio, but I have to really crank the receiver up to get any usuable volume. This has resulted in the predicitable speaker blasting moments as I switch between the 501 and the 811 without thinking! The sound coming from the speakers on the TV when using the 811 v. the 501 (both linked by RCA's) is far less also. A usuable volume for the 811 in a VERY small room is at least 60% Volume.

I've tried different cabling/inputs, switching the Sat Feeds, everything you would expect. Giving up, I called the nice folks at E* Denver.

E* has sent me three receivers so far, each no better than the original. (Number two had no DVI output!!!). I say it's because when I do a Sat Signal Strength on the 811, I get 75-80% on both 110 and 119, while the 501 gives me 90-110%. E* says no.

Can anyone help? Does anyone else have this problem? Suggestions? Bueller? Bueller?

On the 811 I have noticed significantly lower volume on the OTA and HDTV channels compared to the "normal" Dish channels. The 6000 does not do this, but the 811 does. I do not seem to have the extreme problem that you describe mine is more like turning the volume knob about 20% higher.

The sat signal strength is not the problem with the sound. Too low a strength would cause a breakup in picture.

I managed to work around the 49% problem by adjusting my OTA antenna. I understand this does not work in all areas as fixing one channel can make others worse.

The audio volume when Dolby Digital is being transmitted is always much lower than the rest of the time. This has been true for me with two different AV receivers, and two Dish receivers, the 811 and the 6000U.
I believe this is due, IMHO, because DD5.1 has a much wider dynamic range and you, I, need to turn up the volume to get it. I'm with you, it is very annoying to forget to turn the volume down when the signal is not DD5.1. Really blasts the speakers. I wish there was a good solution to this.
A receiver that had individual volume adjustments for different inputs would help, but would not solve the problem when the programming changes on the channel you are watching or when switching to a different channel on the same receiver.
I have, so far, learned to live with this, but don't know if my case is not as severe as yours is.

Brian is correct about the dynamic range of DD5.1 requiring a lower average gain than the regular audio on the other channels. If the average gain was kept as high as the other channels the loud peaks would have to be limited to prevent severe distortion.

The "signal strength" you see on the meters in the PD&S screens of your receivers will vary from model to model because they use different "scales." Some max out at 100, some at 125. These scales are relative and while indicative of "signal strength" that is not actually what they measure. And they have absolutely nothing to do with the audio gain.

My thanks to all who responded.

I now no longer think I am becoming senile. One of the more knowledgeable folks (or so he seemed) at the Denver place says the "sound level" problem on both SD and HDTV is a known fault and, of course, a software fix is in the offing. I believe I had become used to the Rock Solid reliability of my 501. My receiver does have a bunch of buttons you can press to make the "sound" better. And I realize that "sound quality" is a somewhat subjective judgment. I just don't think the 811 was "ready for prime time." E* knows this and I must admit, they have been very nice about this whole thing. I just thank my lucky's that my 811 isn't my only receiver, or I would be steamed.

This also sort of explains the 811 "waiting lists." I mean, I've had three in one month!

However, I think my ultimate answer is to live with it and only use the 811 for HDTV and when my wife absolutely must watch her six recorded episodes of "What Not to Wear on $40 dollars a Day" or some such tripe.

All in all, what the RCA monitor does for the 501's picture was well worth the price of admission.

Once again, thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)