811 blank screen and green dots

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
WJD: While Gary is generalizing, I must agree with him. While there may be some poor frustrated diamonds in the dung pile, it's still a dung pile. The more I analyze these boxes, and the software releases, the more I am convinced of it.

JAL said:
I have a plasma, and the green dots look like dashes, sort of like equal signs, across the bottom third of the screen. They are not present when the dishnet program guide or menus are displayed, and not present on DVDs, etc. The dashes go away when I do a hard reboot of the 811.
That's exactly what they look like on my RCA 34" 16:9 direct view but they're on the top third of the screen.

I have the new MITS 62525, and have had the 811 with it for about three weeks. Have not seen anything like this. Is there any older equipment issue, or mainly a software upgrade problem?

Will be keeping my eyes open.

SimpleSimon said:
WJD: While Gary is generalizing, I must agree with him. While there may be some poor frustrated diamonds in the dung pile, it's still a dung pile. The more I analyze these boxes, and the software releases, the more I am convinced of it.

You and Gary may be right, but since I have zero exposure to the process, developement and project teams I tend not to make that judgement. I have been in environements where you have a good team of engineers who are not given the resources to produce a quality product, I have been in engineering teams full of clueless engineers playing politics, and I have been in engineering teams where a key person is clueless. All these environments have resulted in a sub quality product releases.

We have been through this discussion before and it happens every time a new bug with a high customer pain is introduced. I think we all agree that there is a software quality issue with Dish. However, since I don't have any exposure into their development process and personal I personally can't make a proper determination what is the cause of poor quality. You and Gary may be convinced and you may have more information than myself, but given the information I have read I would not come to the conclusion that basically the engineers, project managers, etc are incompetent.

I try not to step into these types of arguments because they really add no value to this forum. As software developers we can provide a perspective to what might be the issues why the quailty is poor based on our experiences, but since we don't work there it is hard to make an accurate assessment.

I personally felt that the conclusion Gary was making was one possible conclusion. I do agree about his statement that there is no valid reason for the poor software quality. It should be much better. What I didn't agree with was the leap to incompetence. My experience for reasons for poor software quality go beyond it just being a a dung heap of incompetent people.

*UPDATE* I received my replacement 811 (refurbished) and guess what happened? The 811 would not take the initial software download. Have to send it back and they would ship another receiver. Also, the green dots (dashes) have disappeared on the original 811 I have!

Its been over 24 hrs and the green dots have not returned. Called Dish to cancel 811 replacement.

What an experience!

Thanks for all of the thoughts and help. :D

BTW "WeeJavaDude", when I mention 30 minutes, I do mean 30 minutes. I have not sat down and switched between OTA and Sat signal at different time intervals to see if it does it less that 30 minutes. I do know that most programming I watch at the times that this happens are 30 minute programs, etc. That's all I have to go by. Thank you! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts