811 dummy/newbie needs help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dhillii

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
Guys: please excuse my ignorance as I am a newbie on the 811 front.

I have a 811 and a 510 PVR hooked up to the same 16:9 TV. I understand that there is a OTA (what is that, Off The Air?) antenna that can be hooked up to get more HD channels (I live in Dallas)...is this someting that goes on the back of the box or on top of the roof? Can someone recommend a brand/pricing and where to get?

My installer was just as clueless as I am and he rigged the setup with component cables (is DVI the preferred?) thru the COMP-1 for the HD and sent the 510 thru the Vid-1....needless to say, I am switching back and forth...watching the majority of the 510 and flipping back to the 811 for the HD pack only.

I assume there has to be a better way to enjoy my setup without the hassles and would appreciate any suggestions.... :eek:

You can buy an indoor Over The Air antenna, I've read the Silver Sensor is a good choice. I use and outdoor antenna. Both hook up to the 811 using the same coax connection in the back of the 811.

Make sure your TV has a DVI input if you want to use that one. My Samsung DLP TV as both, and I barely notice an improvment of DVI over component for the HD broadcasts.

dhillii said:
Guys: please excuse my ignorance as I am a newbie on the 811 front.

I have a 811 and a 510 PVR hooked up to the same 16:9 TV. I understand that there is a OTA (what is that, Off The Air?) antenna that can be hooked up to get more HD channels (I live in Dallas)...is this someting that goes on the back of the box or on top of the roof? Can someone recommend a brand/pricing and where to get?

My installer was just as clueless as I am and he rigged the setup with component cables (is DVI the preferred?) thru the COMP-1 for the HD and sent the 510 thru the Vid-1....needless to say, I am switching back and forth...watching the majority of the 510 and flipping back to the 811 for the HD pack only.

I assume there has to be a better way to enjoy my setup without the hassles and would appreciate any suggestions.... :eek:

What part of Dallas are you in?

dhillii- The way your installer hooked up the two receivers to your TV sounds in the best way. (It is the way I will be doing it, when I add a PVR). You will indeed have to switch the TV input to whichever receiver you wish to watch. It's a minor inconvenience compared to the lesser quality of the alternative below:

An alternative would be to connect one of the AV outputs of the 510 to one of the AV inputs on the rear of the 811. Then, you would keep the TV always set for the 811, and tune the 811 to channel "00", when you wished to view the 510. However, the AV input of the 811 looks pretty crappy when up-converted to HD for the DVI or Component outputs.

As for an OTA antenna, I've had very good success with the Zenith Silver Sensor, available from Best Buy/Circuit City/etc for about $40, or online from Value Electronics for about $22. You may have to experiment with placement, for optimum reception. It took me awhile. But, once in a good position, it's just incredible! (Especially impressive, as the 811 still has some OTA reception issues.)

As for DVI vs. Component, you will probably not be able to see a difference. If you do decide to go with DVI, don't pay more than $20. Monster Cable, and similar brands, are over-priced rip-offs. Personally, I use the DVI out to the TV, because I need to use the Component Out for my projector. Otherwise, I would have probably just stuck with the Component to the TV.

Good luck!

You may want to get a combination VHF/UHF antenna, I think WFAA-ABC is on frequency 9 (VHF). The Silver Sensor antenna may not pick it up. How far are you from Cedar Hill? An indoor antenna might not work too well if you are more than 30 or 40 miles away. Check here to see what kind of antenna you might need and which digital stations you can receive:

http://www.antennaweb.org

thanks GaryPen (harumph, love the reference)... I will check into the Silver Sensor

snathanb...i line in NW Dallas (preston hollow)

So, looks like I will be switching back and forth...maybe the Silver Sensor will help...anyone know here in Dallas what channels I can get?

I love the 510...

The jury is still out on the 811...I'll appreciate any feedback

dhillii said:
thanks GaryPen (harumph, love the reference)... I will check into the Silver Sensor

snathanb...i line in NW Dallas (preston hollow)

So, looks like I will be switching back and forth...maybe the Silver Sensor will help...anyone know here in Dallas what channels I can get?

I love the 510...

The jury is still out on the 811...I'll appreciate any feedback

Go to www.antennaweb.org. Put it your address.. it will recommend an antenna and list out our Dallas Digital stations. There are quite a few... I am currently picking up 15 (including the subchannels).

I'm in Lavon (45 miles from Cedar Hill towers), and I pick up everything with a Channel Master 3020 in the attic.

Once you have everything set up... you'll find having the locals will double the amount of HD programming available on some week nights during prime time. You will certainly stop watching the locals provided by Dish. You may find yourself switching back and forth from the 510 far less often :)

hey kids,

got the Silver Sensor and it works great! Redline65, what do you do to get channel 8? Mine doesn't come in on freq 9.

Guys, I have a widescreen. can you stretch the local reception of the Silver Sensor to fit the screen? Looks like I will stick with the 811 and apprecite all the input/advice.

snathanb, I prob will keep the locals....some stations come in better on the 511. maybe I just need to play with the Sensor more. we'll see.

The SS is a UHF antenna, so it will have trouble picking up VHF, like 9. My SS just barely picks up 12.
Someone in another thread (possibly another forum) mentions a new Terk model, HDTVi. It looks just like the SS, but has additional elements for VHF. I'm thinking of giving it a try, despite Terk's less-than-stellar reputation.

2 feeds

I am wanting to keep my 7200 for recording and my 811 for HD, I have a toshiba HD 16:9 tv is there a way to hook both receivers up with out having to run 2 satellite cables from the dish. Can it be split at the tv? If so what type of splitter?

Thanks

HD921 said:
I am wanting to keep my 7200 for recording and my 811 for HD, I have a toshiba HD 16:9 tv is there a way to hook both receivers up with out having to run 2 satellite cables from the dish. Can it be split at the tv? If so what type of splitter?

Thanks
Nope. If you want to be able to use both receivers independently they both have to be connected to the dish (or switch) with their own RG6 cables.

I don't want to use them independently I want use one or the other not both at the same time. what can I do to accomplish that?

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts