811 DVI to HDMI on Sony

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Georg Matthews

Original poster
Dec 8, 2004
I have a 811 connected to my Sony KD-34XBR960 crt which has HDMI in.
My question is would it be worth getting a DVI to HDMI cable instead of using the component inputs ?
My thinking is when Dish goes to MPEG 4 and if they upgrade to the next generation converter box it will no doubt have HDMI out.
So if I buy a DVI to HDMI cable now later on I will want to get the HDMI to HDMI cable so should I just wait ?
Thanks

I have the same setup that you do. I use the HDMI input on my Sony KD-34XBR960 for my 811. I have tried the component inputs on the Sony, but I really couldn't see much of a difference between them and the HDMI input. The HDMI maybe looks a little better. I needed the component inputs for other devices, (a DVD and a D-VHS deck) so I bought a low cost HDMI to DVI cable for the 811 from here:

http://www.cablezrus.com/hdmicables.html

Despite the low cost, I have been pleased with the quality of the cables from this vendor. As for what you want to do, I don't think it matters. It depends on if you need the inputs and if you want to spend the money for a cable. My 811 looked good on both inputs.

Mike J

Mike ,
Thanks for the info.
Can you tell me if you find that the brightness on the 960 seems to be a bit low in the standard mode with the brightness and picture settings at factory default ?
I have an older 27XBR37 and I have to run the brightness settings below default to get proper calibration. But like I said with the 960 I have to run the brightness setting at about 40 which is about 9 points above default in the standard mode.
I have also noticed this on the 960's I have seen in the stores.
I wonder why sony did this.

if your tv is a direct view tv, tube 40 inch or lower, then component should look better as it is one less digital to analog conversion. For all other tvs hdmi/dvi would be best.

I tried a monster HMI-DVI cable and ended up returning it. It made no difference in picture quality either in HD or analog. I have a new Sony 55" Sony LCD with the 811. Definately not worth spending $120 on.

Georg Matthews said:
Mike ,
Thanks for the info.
Can you tell me if you find that the brightness on the 960 seems to be a bit low in the standard mode with the brightness and picture settings at factory default ?
I have an older 27XBR37 and I have to run the brightness settings below default to get proper calibration. But like I said with the 960 I have to run the brightness setting at about 40 which is about 9 points above default in the standard mode.
I have also noticed this on the 960's I have seen in the stores.
I wonder why sony did this.

I also adjusted my brightness and picture to around 41 to get a good picture on the 34XBR960. I'm using Pro mode. I noticed the same thing you did, as my previous Sony required a lower than default setting. I found the 960's default picture/brightness to only be adequate in a dark room at night. I watch TV during the day, so I cranked them up a bit. Maybe they are worried about CRT life? (If so, why have a 'vivid' setting?) Time will tell....

Mike J

I have a 960 as well - My settings are on the darkish side (trying to eyeball mimck my old ISF-calibrated set).

I'll post my settings later. :) I also need to Avia it now that it's broken in, just no time...

hancox said:
I'm pro, with 31's all the way, except hue at 0.

I like those settings in a dark room, but I guess I've got too many windows. I had to turn it up a bit.

In general, are you guys happy with your 960's? Any trouble?

My second one is very good. The geometry could be a little better, but I haven't had time to mess with it.

My first one wasn't. It had a bad spot in the CRT, upper right quarter. Looked like the grille in the CRT was damaged. The tube had at least 7 magnets on that spot in the back where Sony tried to fix it. It also had BAD geometry, especially where all the magnets were. My dealer swapped it out, no problem.

Mike J

A_Pac said:
if your tv is a direct view tv, tube 40 inch or lower, then component should look better as it is one less digital to analog conversion. For all other tvs hdmi/dvi would be best.

Okay this me...... I have a 36 sony direct view. Component is clearly better. Could you go a little more in to your explaination- Just curious. Thanks in advance........

What he is telling you is that with Component being analog and your direct view TV being analog (all CRTs are analog), your TV doesn't need to make the digital to analog conversion of the Component video signal that it does with a DVI or HDMI signal.

I've had this argument with lots of people, but here is my 2c...

There are too many variables to say flatly that "analog tv's will never see an improvement from a digital connection"

Why? You ask?

Because so much TV watching isn't done in native format. There's a conversion somewhere, be it 1080i --> 720p, 480i --> 1080i (a la people with the 811 that keep everything at 1080i), etc. My point? There's a scaler doing something, somewhere, and probably not the same one for every source.

Case in point - I have yet to see any TV hooked up to an 811 that doesn't look MUCH better for SD programming through DVI. This includes 2 digital and 2 analog displays that I have seen with my own eyes.

I know, I'm splitting hairs, but it's just a pet peeve. Sorry.

Continue on... :)

Ok here is a little follow up info to my last post.
A now have a calibration DVD and I have found that to get proper calibration on standard mode I have to run the picture control at 37 and the brightness at 50 to get proper calibration of my 960 according to my calibration dvd which is titled (Home Theatre Test and set-up disc)
Can anyone tell me if this normal for the 960 to have to make the settings this far off the factory defaults to get proper calibration as like I said before the default settings in standard mode are for the most part to dark to be usable ?
Also does anybody know of a Sony user group where I might be able to get comments about this situation with my 960 ?
Thanks
George

Go with what you you see. Your defaults are set to "torch" mode, something that makes the TV look better in Best Buy, etc.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts