811 firmware update not likely...

WeeJavaDude said:
As much as I am looking forward to winning, 811 288 has not spooled yet. All this thread talks about is plans to spool. Big difference and it can be pulled at the last minute or delayed. Until it hits the stream the fat lady has not sang.

trying to help you out :D I am sure it will spool, as the link in that thread states, it is spooling today, plus its been a while the 811 is due

Hardware problems

Folks, There is one item that has been forgotten in the 811 saga outside of software issues: "Hardware problems"!, that will not be resolved via software upgrades. I recall in the past that a certain confirm issue on certain components in the 811 were vendor related problems and the only resolution was a box exchange. This problem was reported a while back over half a year or so in the 811 threads. Does anyone recall this? I think that my 811 box that I got in Dec. 2003 was one of them. The components that were in question were either confirmed by the vendor or E* itself.

I havent seen too many reports of hardware problem not saying it didnt happen, just never heard of it, and if there was I am sure that dish will be happy to help

Bulldog said:
Folks, There is one item that has been forgotten in the 811 saga outside of software issues: "Hardware problems"!, that will not be resolved via software upgrades. I recall in the past that a certain confirm issue on certain components in the 811 were vendor related problems and the only resolution was a box exchange. This problem was reported a while back over half a year or so in the 811 threads. Does anyone recall this? I think that my 811 box that I got in Dec. 2003 was one of them. The components that were in question were either confirmed by the vendor or E* itself.
Can't disagree but this is something that should not get through the cracks. Like the software updates, each one should fix problems and not create new problems. It seems that everything should be fully tested before issuing to the masses so good customers don't become victims.

John Kotches said:
Historically 811 updates have spooled on Thursdays. I suspect it will spool tomorrow (Thursday).

Cheers,

Don't see a report of a download YET!!!
(this is thursday isn't it!)
They're not going to spend any more money on firmware on a DEAD product!
Either they're going to download MPEG-4 firmware into the machine or it's dead, end of story!

This is not bashing - it's economic reality.

Regards

Dick Sommers said:
Either they're going to download MPEG-4 firmware into the machine or it's dead, end of story!

Regards

your economic reality is off. as if this is your stance every reciever will never recieve another update, as any reciever not capable of mpeg4 is now dead, please at least think things through before you post them! trust me I have rushed posts to make my point and they sounded pretty bad too. go back think of what you want to say and come back and share. I am not saying the 811 will recieve an update, but dish network will still update all there recievers, continually improving (or ruining whatever stance you have).

The one part of software updates that folks overlook is the fact that a good portion of the software from one model is often used in future models. So for the 811, any updates that Dish makes will help them with the software development of the model 411, the MPEG-4 version. Besides for the hopefully increase in customer satisfaction which helps the bottom line, this can significantly reduce software development costs.

So Dick.. you up for the bet? Bet is 811 will get an update by the end of July. Looser puts the fact that the winner was right in their signature?

As to it being economic reality. From my perspective, when a company releases a product there is a certain level of support the company feels they should provide. This support component is not a revenue source and though there is ofcourse economic ramifications to the level of support they provide the fact that MPEG4 is coming does not make no updates to the 811 an economic reality.

Like I said earlier.. Wanta bet. ;)

rocatman said:
...So for the 811, any updates that Dish makes will help them with the software development of the model 411, the MPEG-4 version. ...
What makes you think the 411 is based on the 811? Why not dumb down the 942?

Dick Sommers says

I'm not losing any sleep about 811 firmware not spooling today.

I do wonder how much of a clue you have about economic reality though. My laptop was discontinued about a 10 months ago. It's not a current inventory item yet I still continue to receive firmware and drive upgrades for it from the manufacturer. Using your way of "thinking", economic reality dictates that I wouldn't have received a single upgrade after it was a discontinued product.

811 is still a current inventoried and actively available product. It's not EOL until the 411 replaces it.

Cheers,

WeeJavaDude said:
So Dick.. you up for the bet? Bet is 811 will get an update by the end of July. Looser puts the fact that the winner was right in their signature?

As to it being economic reality. From my perspective, when a company releases a product there is a certain level of support the company feels they should provide. This support component is not a revenue source and though there is ofcourse economic ramifications to the level of support they provide the fact that MPEG4 is coming does not make no updates to the 811 an economic reality.

Like I said earlier.. Wanta bet. ;)

YES....

My point isn't that firmware updates are a revenue stream, it's that it's a rat hole if you know that the product is going the way of the dinosaur in a "few" months. And as far as I know the plan is to move the high def. receivers to MPG-4, I haven't heard a word of any plan to move the standard def boxes to MPG-4. So it looks to me that the plan must be that the "new boxes will do both MPG-3 & 4 (don't know if 4 is backward compatable with 3 in one decoder), and leave the millions of standard def. customers with MPG-3.

Who ever suggested that I should THINK before I make a comment - I have, I've been thinking for over a year that I've made a big mistake in keeping the 811 with its BSOD, "NO INFO", lock ups and all the other software problems not to mention the crushed blacks that we had put up with for nearly 3/4ths of a year that I know of!

I feel like a mushroom, (with dish network), kept in the dark and pissed on!

Bet on!

Regards

ok.. End of July it is.. ;)

As to the MPEG-4 and MPEG-2. I am sure the MPEG-4 box that is released will support MPEG-2. It must because you still will have a lot of MPEG-2 out there in terms of SD and OTA that the box must decode.

As to the rathole point. Well though it has merrit, I think we are two far from Roll out and deployment for Dish to place the unit into sustaining mode. I am not sure if their box will use a single chip for MPEG-4 and MPEG-2, but I can assure you the box will do both. In addition, Dish has a track record of providing updates for products that have been replaced. Though most of these updates have been to support additional external changes in topology, they have also seen some fixes and other minor enhancements. The 6000 comes to mind and I am sure there are others.

Yes there will be a day when updates to the 811 will cease. IMHO that day is still a relatively long way away.

To answer the question, new silicon rolling out will decode MPEG-2, MPEG-4 and VC-1 (WM-9) all in one ASIC. This will address the needs of HD-DVD and Blu-ray players as well as DirecTV and Dish network satellite systems. It will likely address the needs of cable set top box providers as well.

Cheers,

Dick Sommers said:
YES....

My point isn't that firmware updates are a revenue stream, it's that it's a rat hole if you know that the product is going the way of the dinosaur in a "few" months. And as far as I know the plan is to move the high def. receivers to MPG-4, I haven't heard a word of any plan to move the standard def boxes to MPG-4. So it looks to me that the plan must be that the "new boxes will do both MPG-3 & 4 (don't know if 4 is backward compatable with 3 in one decoder), and leave the millions of standard def. customers with MPG-3.

Who ever suggested that I should THINK before I make a comment - I have, I've been thinking for over a year that I've made a big mistake in keeping the 811 with its BSOD, "NO INFO", lock ups and all the other software problems not to mention the crushed blacks that we had put up with for nearly 3/4ths of a year that I know of!

I feel like a mushroom, (with dish network), kept in the dark and pissed on!

Bet on!

Regards
man you must be in the dark as dish network uses mpeg2, man I am sorry I kinda sound like a jerk and I dont mean to, I just think you need to dig a little deeper in the info before you go bashing something you dont understand. also my 811 works great, and yes i have had directv time warner and now dish, so far dish wins out in my area! and your right I shouldnt have told you to think, research before you post a Bashing post, if you dont know dont be afraid to ask, this is a great site to learn from, but dont spread false truths and information! have a great night!

stuart628 said:
man you must be in the dark as dish network uses mpeg2, man I am sorry I kinda sound like a jerk and I dont mean to, I just think you need to dig a little deeper in the info before you go bashing something you dont understand. also my 811 works great, and yes i have had directv time warner and now dish, so far dish wins out in my area! and your right I shouldnt have told you to think, research before you post a Bashing post, if you dont know dont be afraid to ask, this is a great site to learn from, but dont spread false truths and information! have a great night!

Young little bastards that think they know it all!
Was there anyone that missed the point!
So I said MPG3 instead of MPEG2!
So I said MPG instead of MPEG!
Did you miss the point!
I think NOT!

Last part of this rant removed by me and it looks like I lose the bet!

Dick Sommers said:
Young little bastards that think they know it all!
Was there anyone that missed the point!
So I said MPG3 instead of MPEG2!
So I said MPG instead of MPEG!
Did you miss the point!
I think NOT!

You're a jerk!!
I hope that some time in the future that you make a mistake in nomenclature and someone burns you down to the ground for it!

Have a good day -not!
And I thought Scott said this was the forum where everyones opinion is welcome, and posters don't disparage others. So much for a kinder, gentler forum!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts