811 for HD OTA...there must be a way?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mnb

Original poster
Nov 20, 2004
With changes to MPEG4, the 811 that I own is destined to become a doorstop. It's just a matter of next month, in 6 months, or in a year or so. It seems to me that there should be a way (NOT using the dish) that this receiver could still serve as a decent off air HD receiver. If it's a hacking issue, I understand that it can't be discussed here. Just looking for some insight from those in the know and trying to find some comfort in owning an expensive box soon to become useless.
Matt

811 Ota

Your 811 is probably leased so you do not have a good solution to continue to use it as an OTA mode only. As long as you keep it, you still pay the receiver fee (or lease fee). The OTA tuner on the 811 is a first generation tuner. I have an 811 as well as a 6000 as well as a HDTV with a built in tuner. The newer TV can pull in three times more stations than the 811 with the SAME antenna. If you buy a desk top box (about 200), make sure it is a 3rd or 4th generation box. If the only thing you want to accomplish is to receive local OTA in HD and no normal Dish Network programming, then you would be better off with a new HDTV set or a desk top box. Regarding hacking the 811, if you lease it, dont!...If you own it then you can do with it as you are capable but most likely you will spend more effort and money than just buying a legal non-dish receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts