811 HD split image?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

chadahren

Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Hello all,

I just switched to Dish network today and my 811 is installed...but I'm having a frustrating issue in that the component video is producing a double image on my 27" Samsung 4:3. The TV is HDTV compatible and to ensure there is no issue with my home theater receiver I'm running the cables directly from the HD receiver to the TV for testing purposes. The cabling is brand new and I'm having no problem with other sources (DVD, PS2) feeding into component video on this TV.

The receiver produces fine images with S-Video or RCA video out, but of course I have the receiver so I can enjoy HD on this TV. I have played with the HD configuration in the menu and can't get any improvement.

I can see what the image is supposed to be when it's set to 480i but on 780 or 1080 it's just a squiggly mess. Again, the image on 480i is double and side by side...each image half as wide as the screen and discolored in places.

Can anyone advise?

thanks,

chad

This may sound like a dumb question but do you have the s-video and RCA (composite) as well as the component cable connected from the 811 receiver to the TV? Realize that the 811 receiver is putting out signals on all three of these all the time so this could be your problem.

Having all three signals out at one time should not be an issue, but It is worth a try and a quick test.

What I would suggest.

1) Check you cables and make sure you have a good connection.
2) What is your the model of the unit? Since you don't have another HD source to go by it is hard to tell if it is the 811 or TV.
3) I am assuming that when you stated 480i you ment 480p on your component?
4) Are you using a Component cable? Red, Green and Blue?

Does this happen with all channels? HD and SD? Might want to try another component cable if you can to rule out cable issue. I think you have if you tried other sources with the cable.

What is your TV's model number?

Welcome to satguys!

I think the problem is the 811 comes set to 720p and with the last update a strange thing has happenend which has caused all kinds of strange things with the picture when a non-720p source is being converted to 720p by the 811

BFG said:
Welcome to satguys!

I think the problem is the 811 comes set to 720p and with the last update a strange thing has happenend which has caused all kinds of strange things with the picture when a non-720p source is being converted to 720p by the 811

I remember back when I my 811 was installed about a year ago that you had to use an s-video connection initially to fix this by changing from 720p to 480p or 1080i. Don't know if this still applies. I thought the problem maybe some picture-in-picture mode of his TV that defaults when two video sources are sensed.

Thanks for your assistance so far...to answer questions:

1) Being unfamiliar with the receiver, I have tested only one video output at a time. Component video (yes, YPbPr) is the only output producing this issue.

2) We are rearranging so I've had occasion today to dissassemble my components and try to isolate the issue. I ran my PS2 directly to the TV and did the same with my DVD player - both use Monster cabling (trite, I know) - and the image was perfect...whenther run directly from source to TV or through the Onkyo receiver. I then used one of these Monster component video cables to replace the one that came with the 811 and ran it directly to the TV and got the same "split" result.

3) The TV is a few years old - a Samsung TSL2793HF.

4) the Receiver model number, from the back of the unit, is simply DISH811.

I don't quite understand the fix described in rocatman's reply to BFG. Does any of the above help? Thanks for your assistance so far - I'd like to join the world of HD but can't without a fix.

thanks,

chad

He was talking about if you had a TV that didn't accept 720p, you'd have to hook up s-video to see a picture to change the 811 to output 1080i. But your TV accepts 720p, so that's not a problem. The problem is the scalling the 811 does when set to 720p. So what you need to do is go into menu 6-1-9 and select 1080i. This will provide a better picture as well.

Hi Bryan,

I have already tried tons of different settings by navigating the menu on s-video. The image gets even worse (just horizontal scramble) on 720 or 1080. The only time I can even discern that there is an image at all is on 480...and it's two discolored images side by side. Very frustrating.

I have also juggled the modes on the left side of the 6-1-9 menu, though I don't know what any of them are. I have not seen a difference as a result.

Any other help?

thanks so far,

chad

I am sure you already tried this but, you may have the blue cable and the green cable switched. I did that once and had a similar result of what is happening to you.

Well, for anyone paying attention, just remember the lesson that you shouldn't overthink things. The Samsung has two modes by which it receives component video input - DVD and DTV. The DTV mode is for this content and the manual even says that "if you try to view this content via the DVD setting you will see a double image by way of the error."

Much ado about nothing.

thanks all - I'm sorry to have unwittingly cried wolf,

chad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)