811 Lost 1080i On DVI

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Seadoo

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
When I first hooked up 811 it was with DVI. Recently my TV wont recognize the 1080i signal. If I change 811 to 480p output the TV will recognize 480p through DVI cable. If I hook up 811 with component cables the TV will recognize both 1080i and 480p depending on what I have 811 set at. Source of problem as I see it is either: (1)DVI cable not transmitting 1080i (Cable Problem), (2)Outputting 1080i through 811 port(811 Problem) or (3)Inputting 1080i through DVI into TV port (TV Problem). I have tried a new DVI cable and no change.

Has anybody had similar problems? Any suggestions?

TV Is A Phillips. It has two digital inputs. AV4 accomondates component and AV5 accomodates DVI. In order to run both DVD in progressive and 811 have to use DVD on AV4 and 811 on AV5. When I hook 811 with component into AV4 it comes in at either 1080i or 480p depending on where I have 811 set. The switch in TV is done automatically as it senses the input signal. Problem is in AV5 with DVI it is scrambled on 1080i but viewable on 480p. So problem is either 811 is not sending a go 1080i signal on DVI, DVI cable is scrambling the signal or the TV is not sensing the signal. I dont have another TV or 811 so the only thing I could was switch out the DVI cable. Having eliminating it that still leaves something wrong with 811 or something wrong with TV. By the way this worked when I first hooked it up.

Is it possible your 811 is the HDCP version and your TV is not compatible (doesn't have HDCP)? If so, this would be the first confirmed case of someone getting a downrezzed signal due to this.

Did you have to go out and buy a DVI cable or did one come with the 811? If you bought a DVI cable, did you make sure whether it was the correct one. It is my understanding that there are two types and you have to check the end for a + or a - shape on the end pin. My tv is too old for DVI so I have no experience with it. Good luck.

Seadoo said:
Source of problem as I see it is either: (1)DVI cable not transmitting 1080i (Cable Problem), (2)Outputting 1080i through 811 port(811 Problem) or (3)Inputting 1080i through DVI into TV port (TV Problem). I have tried a new DVI cable and no change.

You've eliminated #1 as the cause, by swapping cables.
To check #2, you'll need to plug the 811 into another DVI-capable device, or perhaps a 2nd DVI input on the same TV. (unlikely it has one.)
To check #3, you'll need to connect a different DVI device to the TV's DVI input.

You may want to check the TV's menu otions, and see if there is a manual setting for the DVI input. It may have been changed.

BTW, have you tried 720p from the 811 into the TV DVI, just for the hell of it?

Well, I was wanting the exact model number of the tv to veryify it is a DHCP compliant set. Others have noted a dramatic decrease in PQ with the new update. Perhaps this is the issue.

You may have to just try another 811.

GaryPen said:
You've eliminated #1 as the cause, by swapping cables.
To check #2, you'll need to plug the 811 into another DVI-capable device, or perhaps a 2nd DVI input on the same TV. (unlikely it has one.)
To check #3, you'll need to connect a different DVI device to the TV's DVI input.

You may want to check the TV's menu otions, and see if there is a manual setting for the DVI input. It may have been changed.

BTW, have you tried 720p from the 811 into the TV DVI, just for the hell of it?
TV does not support 720P

OdiOdin said:
Well, I was wanting the exact model number of the tv to veryify it is a DHCP compliant set. Others have noted a dramatic decrease in PQ with the new update. Perhaps this is the issue.

OK I will get that. One point is that this whole set up worked when I first hooked it up. It just stopped working a few weeks ago

I dont know if this will help

I have the same problem with my gateway plasma. The information below is from the gateway FAQ for my TV. I have to reset the reciever and do a hard reset (power switch) to get the DVI to work again. Im sure this is the reason below.

What happens if I lose signal to the TV while watching a movie on a HDCP equipped component?

The component, such as a DVD player, must be restarted to establish renegotiation.

Example: While watching a movie on a HDCP enabled DVD player, you change the "receiver" (DTV, monitor, projector) input to watch broadcast TV, and then change the input back to watch the DVD movie. However, you are unable to watch the movie. This is because when the input was changed, the receiver lost the HDCP signal. Restart the HDCP enabled DVD player to allow renegotiation. :(

My friend has this same problem. It's a Phillips TV. It happened about two software updates ago. He was home at lunch then left for work and saw that the new software was downloading, got home from work that night and it didn't work. He's on vacation now so I can't ask him his model number.

cvela said:
...What happens if I lose signal to the TV while watching a movie on a HDCP equipped component?

The component, such as a DVD player, must be restarted to establish renegotiation.

Example: While watching a movie on a HDCP enabled DVD player, you change the "receiver" (DTV, monitor, projector) input to watch broadcast TV, and then change the input back to watch the DVD movie. However, you are unable to watch the movie. This is because when the input was changed, the receiver lost the HDCP signal. Restart the HDCP enabled DVD player to allow renegotiation. :(
This is a consumer disaster in the making. Just unbelievable.

Can you see Grandma - or any average TV viewer - dealing with this?

DVI from 811

I originally hooked up this way and it worked fine. No problems at all.

After I read, on this forum, that if you have a direct view (CRT) it is better to use component. That is where we are now. worked fine either way.

I will also note that we have Sony TV (KV-34XBR910) and Sony Surround amp (STR-DE885). We have not had any problems with either. Some have said their Surround amp won't decode the 811 optical signal.

Maybe some of the other manufactures are out of "The Loop"??? :shocked

ayrton said:
I originally hooked up this way and it worked fine. No problems at all.

After I read, on this forum, that if you have a direct view (CRT) it is better to use component. That is where we are now. worked fine either way.

I will also note that we have Sony TV (KV-34XBR910) and Sony Surround amp (STR-DE885). We have not had any problems with either. Some have said their Surround amp won't decode the 811 optical signal.

Maybe some of the other manufactures are out of "The Loop"??? :shocked
Well my problem is that I only have two places to hook DTV in. 1 component and 1 DVI. I need the component for the PROGRESSIVE DVD player and that is why I have to use DVI for 811. The 811 and component work fine in 1080i but relegates me to S Videon on DVD without progressive.

CraptorMan said:
My friend has this same problem. It's a Phillips TV. It happened about two software updates ago. He was home at lunch then left for work and saw that the new software was downloading, got home from work that night and it didn't work. He's on vacation now so I can't ask him his model number.

Great. That sounds like same problem. Let me know what you find out from your friend. Did he talk with Dish? I tried and they could not help me. Blame the TV or the cable. Not cable so I have not ruled out TV or 811 at this point.

Yea he called Dish they told him it was probably the cable. I took my 811 and cable to his house and it does the same thing. So he called phillips since it appears to be the TV. They told him he was using the wrong cable. Funny, it's worked for the last seven months just fine. The place he bought it from finally got him a cable from phillips, same problem. Sounds like phillips is kinda jerking him around. He's not going to be back for another week and a half so can't give you anymore info than that for now.

CraptorMan said:
Yea he called Dish they told him it was probably the cable. I took my 811 and cable to his house and it does the same thing. So he called phillips since it appears to be the TV. They told him he was using the wrong cable. Funny, it's worked for the last seven months just fine. The place he bought it from finally got him a cable from phillips, same problem. Sounds like phillips is kinda jerking him around. He's not going to be back for another week and a half so can't give you anymore info than that for now.
Ok. Thanks. When he gets back make sure and get the Phillips model no. since that is what I have too.

OdiOdin said:

The Philips Model number is 55PP9502

Continue to try all suggestions. One more I will try is to take 811 plus cable and try and find someone (maybe dealer) with same TV or at least a DVI input to see if works. If it does that eliminates cable, 811 and points to TV

I know you said that you need component for your DVD player, but have you tried connecting the 811 via component just to see if the problem is with the DVI connection or with the HD output set to 1080i on the 811.

I don't think E* used HDCP previously but other Sat providers have turned it on (like Zoom). Any subscriber using a non-hdcp compliant TV was out of luck using either DVI or Component input if they tried to output from their Sat receiver using anything higher than 480P. I wonder if E* started this with Software update 280?

timclark said:
I know you said that you need component for your DVD player, but have you tried connecting the 811 via component just to see if the problem is with the DVI connection or with the HD output set to 1080i on the 811.

I don't think E* used HDCP previously but other Sat providers have turned it on (like Zoom). Any subscriber using a non-hdcp compliant TV was out of luck using either DVI or Component input if they tried to output from their Sat receiver using anything higher than 480P. I wonder if E* started this with Software update 280?

Yes I have. Only problem is that requires a different Input on TV so it does not allow elminiating the DVI input on the tv and the DVI output on the 811.

Seedoo
My point was to eliminate HDCP as the culprit, as they consider the component and DVI outputs to be "digital" and force the copy protection scheme on both outputs. I might be wrong on this bit I have seen posts that indicate it to be true.

So if you got picture on the component outputs then it may not be an HDCP issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)