811 Lost 1080i On DVI

timclark said:
Seedoo
My point was to eliminate HDCP as the culprit, as they consider the component and DVI outputs to be "digital" and force the copy protection scheme on both outputs. I might be wrong on this bit I have seen posts that indicate it to be true.

So if you got picture on the component outputs then it may not be an HDCP issue.

I do have picture 1080i with componet. When was the software update. This worked with the DVI when I first installed and it has now been several months that it has not worked.

The 280 software update has been over the last several weeks. I think the update before that was 269. Again though, if you are getting picture over the component outputs then it very well may have nothing to do with HDCP.

I have a Philips 42FD9954 I bought a month ago.

Video through Component cables works fine from 811 receiver to plasma.

Bought a single link DVI-D cable. Switched to DVI for output from the 811.

1080i mode:Video keeps flicking on/off; Also TV detects signal as "Unknown".
720p mode: Video is fine. But TV detects signal as "Unknown".
480p mode: Video is fine. But TV detects signal as "Unknown".

Called Philips several times and got some crap about the DVI-D port was only for PC use. The guys were bluffing. Page 10 of the manual states you can hook up a PC or DVD player. The TV specifically says DVI-D which is for video. He talked to someone else and started ranting about single link and double link cables. Fortunately I had the right ones (single link according to the rep was preferred!! Hard to believe.)

The last thing he said was call Dish... may be the 811 was talking Greek and the Plasma understands only Latin. Dish network is to push down some new software updates end of November.

I am planning to get a DVI-D dual link cable and try. Don't expect a whole lot.
Also planning on getting a DVD player with DVI-D output and trying. Want to make sure that the DVI module on the TV is not fu$%^# up.

Just to clarify something...

Component outputs (ie. the red geen & blue RCA connectors) do NOT have any form of "copy" protection on them at all. (Other than being near impossible to convert from analog to digitial form using mucho expensive A/D converters).

The DVI port DOES have copy protection (HDCP) which involves a "key exchange" with data travelling between the 811 and the TV set. Both units must be HDCP enabled to talk to each other. I *think* the DVI HDCP data can be exchanged at anytime in the video stream (usually a frame field start) or else the screen data "snows" (it's encrypted).

Just to re-iterate:

Component out = NO HDCP
DVI out = Definitely HDCP

kalia said:
I have a Philips 42FD9954 I bought a month ago.

Video through Component cables works fine from 811 receiver to plasma.

Bought a single link DVI-D cable. Switched to DVI for output from the 811.

1080i mode: Video keeps flicking on and off
720p mode: Video is fine. But 811 menus or info bars keeping flickering fast.
480p mode: Video, menus, audio all fine. But I am not.

Called Philips and got some crap about the DVI-D port was only for PC use. I couldn't believe... so I called back and spoke to another guy. He started off the same way saying DVI port is for PC only. I said BS... computers use DVI-A or DVI-I. The TV specifically says DVI-D. He talked to someone else and started ranting about single link and double link cables. Fortunately I had the right ones (single link according to the rep was preferred!! Hard to believe.)

The last thing he said was call Dish... may be the 811 was talking Greek and the Plasma understands only Latin.

Ok did you ever get it to work. I have

DVI-D Dual Link (Digital only)

Three rows of 8 pins and no contacts above or below the flat blade as the input in the back so that is the cable I bought and have tried two with bad results. Again, one of my questions is why did it work for a while?

Seadoo said:
Ok did you ever get it to work. I have

DVI-D Dual Link (Digital only)

Three rows of 8 pins and no contacts above or below the flat blade as the input in the back so that is the cable I bought and have tried two with bad results. Again, one of my questions is why did it work for a while?

I am using a Monster DVI-D Single Link cable.

The video works fine other than the issues I listed above. Flickering in 720p and in 1080i the flicking on and off.

Either the Plasma or the darn receiver is screwed up. I suspect the latter as a lot of people have complained about it. I am fixing to call Dish tonite. Will write back soon.

kalia said:
I am using a Monster DVI-D Single Link cable.

The video works fine other than the issues I listed above. Flickering in 720p and in 1080i the flicking on and off.

Either the Plasma or the darn receiver is screwed up. I suspect the latter as a lot of people have complained about it. I am fixing to call Dish tonite. Will write back soon.

Will look forward to hearing what they have to say. We tried going the Philips route, first locally with the reference they gave us (he was clueless since I dont think he ever worked on an HD TV) and then with someone at Philips. No luck there either. My conversations with Dish have ended with it is a TV problem. No surprisily my conversations with the TV people have ended with it is a Dish problem.

My friend got back from vacation and I found out his Phillips model number isn't the same as yours Seedoo. He said that he finally talked to a guy at Phillips and he said the DVI section went bad. Since we live in the middle of no where they are just getting him a new tv instead of sending someone out to fix it. I'll laugh if the new one does the same thing.

CraptorMan said:
My friend got back from vacation and I found out his Phillips model number isn't the same as yours Seedoo. He said that he finally talked to a guy at Phillips and he said the DVI section went bad. Since we live in the middle of no where they are just getting him a new tv instead of sending someone out to fix it. I'll laugh if the new one does the same thing.

What model did he have? It could be that "The DVI SECTION" is the same for both units. If I had to guess at this point I would say My DVI Section has gone bad also.

Seadoo said:
Will look forward to hearing what they have to say. We tried going the Philips route, first locally with the reference they gave us (he was clueless since I dont think he ever worked on an HD TV) and then with someone at Philips. No luck there either. My conversations with Dish have ended with it is a TV problem. No surprisily my conversations with the TV people have ended with it is a Dish problem.

Dish network is blaming the TV. I researched on the net. The Philips plasma, I got, 42FD9954, has DVI-D input but does not support HDCP. It is some encryption standard over DVI. The 811 apparently outputs DVI with HDCP.

But I still get video using DVI so I don't buy that HDCP is a porblem or may be it is. I am in over my head on this. I am buying a Infocus Component to VESA adapter tomorrow $15 shipped from the Infocus website. I will use component out from the 811 into a HD VGA input on the plasma.

Pin Point Problem

Ok I finally took my 811 along with DVI cable to friends house and hooked it up to his TV. Everything worked fine on 1080i. So the problem appears to be my Philips TV. The thing is that the 1080i over the DVI worked for a few months and doesnt work now. Has something changed with the Dish signal so that the Philips DVI connection is now not compatible?

In talking with Philips or the local repair person I have to be as specific as I can be since in previous convesations neither had a clue about the DVI connection.

Yeah well sounds like that folks TV's are the main issue! So DVI is not going to work the same on everyone's TV. Seems like Philips has some issues on their end since most folks are haveing problems with their TV. I have a Sony 57 inch and have had no picture issues but I plan on trying DVI just to see if their really is any diffrence between the two. I hope everyone gets their problems fixed.

The Philips 42FD9954 has a DVI-D input port but no HDCP.

I have confirmed it with multiple sources (Motorola 6412 cable box/ DVR), DVD player (Samsung DVD HD841) and also the 811.

The cable box right off the bat complained of HDCP authentication failure.
The DVD player had a snowy image, that the manual said is because the monitor does not support HDCP.

For some unearthly reason my Dish 811 gets me a video signal. But I am guessing it is a flaw in the satellite receiver. I should be ok until Dish patches the flaw.

I may be returning the 42FD9954. A good plasma but I need my DVI.

Over and out...

See my last post. My TV does not support HDCP. I would suggest going to Circuit City and picking up the new Samsung DVD player. Do a quick check with the DVI cable. If the image is snowy your panel probably does not support HDCP over DVI as well.

philips 55PP9502 DVI at 1080i scrambled picture

I've been dealing with the same issue as Seadoo for over a year. I think the TV isn't HDCP compliant and will never work. I hope this isn't the case.

Seadoo, have you resolved the issue yet?

Hi folks,i just encountered a similar problem with the dvi output on my 811.I had been using the component out for awhile with my new front projector(optoma h27) and have had no problems with the output set to 1080i,the pj also would reconize the signal as 1080i ,the problem occured when i decided to purchase a 25 ft dvi-d to dvi-d dual link cable,i installed the cable today and when i set the pj to the dvi input all i get is a screen that says dvi out of range,so i then set the 811 to 720p and 480p and get a picture on both settings. :confused: The only thing i noticed was the pj's dvi connector has a + blade and 3 rows of 8 pins and the 811 has a - blade with 3 rows of 8 pins.Also it says in the pj's manual that it is hdcp compliant so is it the cable,811 or the pj thats at fault here :confused:

Have a new 811 coming,will see if this fixes the 1080i output problem.Spoke to optoma about the problem ,didnt really know what to say other than at first he thought the dvi cable might be too long,then after some thought he said it had to be in the 811 because it was passing 720p.So time will tell when i get the replacement 811 connected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)