811 on screen

mfemma

Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
I just received my Dish 811 receiver and have activated HDNET. I have it hooked up using component video. I have noticed one thing on the banner of the channel. There are 2 fields. One called HD:NORMAL and one called SD:Normal. What is the purpose of these fields. Even when I am on an HD channel, the SD:NORMAL field text is surrounded in a yellow band. I have not seen much difference in the picture quality on the HD channels

They are for switching the stretch modes on HD or SD. To change them, use the "Page Up" and "Page Down" keys. Up = HD, Down = SD.

I pretty much ignore the SD:Normal side of it. On my SD channels I use HD:Stretch and on my HD channels i use HD:Normal. If you have a Rear Projection CRT or Plasma you will want to use the stretch mode to prevent burn in. pressing the page up botton toggles the HD modes

Just to be clear, the SD indicator is for SVIDEO and COMPOSITE video. It IS NOT for SD coming out of either the DVI or COMPONENT outs. It is a fairly new feature.

The SD indicators main benefit (for me) is for VCR taping (COMPOSITE feed) of local HD channels that are upconverting non HD material (local news, Survivor, etc). That type of material would have a black border on top, bottom, left, and right. This new feature allowed that 4x3 box to be zoomed in so that the screen would be filled. This was real nice for taping Survivor, Amazing race, etc.

KyDave said:
Just to be clear, the SD indicator is for SVIDEO and COMPOSITE video. It IS NOT for SD coming out of either the DVI or COMPONENT outs. It is a fairly new feature.

The SD indicators main benefit (for me) is for VCR taping (COMPOSITE feed) of local HD channels that are upconverting non HD material (local news, Survivor, etc). That type of material would have a black border on top, bottom, left, and right. This new feature allowed that 4x3 box to be zoomed in so that the screen would be filled. This was real nice for taping Survivor, Amazing race, etc.

I was curious about that... thanks