811 or 942 Upgrade options

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Overlord66

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 9, 2005
Right now I have a 811 and a 301 receiver. The TV that the 301 is on is also HD so I would likw to add another HD receiver. I have been trying to get an addittional 811 for some time now but dish was only offering a purchase option. Now on there site I have the option to lease an other 811. Now my dilema is that the 942 is out and I would really like a DVR but dish has not released the lease option on it yet. What I am worried about is how long the wait will be for the 942 lease and will I actually be eligible for it. Has anyone sucessfuly leased a 942 yet?

Thanks.

Nick

When you lease a box under the Dish'n it Up promo you enter a one year contract. I just leased an 811 that way and am waiting for it to arrive next week. It couldn't hurt to wait a couple of weeks to see what happens. Better than than kick yourself for 11 months!

Where does it say that you are locked into a one year contract when you do the dish'n it up promo? I am referring to the fact of going directly through Dish, not a retailer.

I got my 811 back in December and I didn't sign anything for extending my contract for a year. I am a lease customer and fulfilled my lease contract of 1 year 18 months ago. So now I am on a month-to-month lease.

Month to month, but you have to keep the HD package, or return the 811 (as I remember). The 942 isn't on the Dish'n it Up promo yet.

Well I am ready to lease the 942 now!

The 1 year thing doesn't bother me - E* is the best deal going - I'm not about to leave them. Just get my locals in HD and add more HD content in general.

C'mon Charlie, make it all happen!

da Doug

there is no 1 year contract on the dish n' it up promo.

The 1 year that keeps being mentioned is that you can only do 1 dish in it up per year

Lease 811 from Dish or buy one here or on Ebay

Dish will charge $149 for installation and $5 a month for the 811. They are giving a 50% discount on the HD package with this deal so I poay $149 upfront and $10 a month to get the HD channels. Should I go for this or purchase a 811 (Dish wants $400+ for a 811 if I want to purchase it) outside?

Keep in mind that you can purchase an 811 on EBay for around $200. Some of them are even NIB. (Note that a dish is usually not included at this price point.)

Everyones situation will be different so picking and 811 or 942 should really be based upon what you need (HD DVR now or not) and price - lease / purchase. Do you need or to want to time shift OTA digital or not, etc. Certainly a 811 is cheaper but more limited machine.
It is likely that Dish will provide some upgrade path to MPEG 4 in the future if only because D* has promised it would upgrade and its hard to see that D* would do that and Dish would not respond.
I have 2 - 811s & a 942. I an are very happy with both but I must say the features of the 942 make it better for me but that's just because what I want / need in a receiver. I have ordered a 2nd 942 and will sell one of the 811s.

Maybe my best bet would be to buy an 811 on eBay to wait and see about leasing the 942?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)