811 - OTA 4:3 S-Video is different sizes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ride525

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
SF Bay Area, California
On my 811, both the Component and DVI outputs seem to work fine.

However, I recently purchased a DVD burner that only has composite and S-video inputs. When I use the S-video inputs, the Dish 4:3 stations all seem to work fine. The analog OTA stations all seem to come in fine as 4:3. But some of the OTA digital stations show correctly as 4:3 and some as shrunk. One broadcaster here in San Francisco, channel 2, KTVU, even has 2-01 as shrunk, and 2-02 shows correctly as full 4:3.

Any ideas of what is causing this on S-Video?

Thanks,

Jeff

Yes the shrunk channels are 16:9 format. Just hit page down to zoom the channel and crop the sides of the 16:9 image.

Its the same if you tune to one of the Dish HD channels. On HD channels using S-video you have the option to crop to 4:3 or have black bars.

I understand the 16:9 channels are shrunk format.

But some of the digital channels that are 4:3 turn out to be shrunk in what should be the 4:3 box on my screeen. Again, DVI and component work fine, but S-Video (and I think composite) shrink some of the digital channels.

Here's a list of some of the channels here in San Francisco:
2-00 analog fine
2-01 digital shrunk (4:3 picture now, sometimes it broadcasts in 16:9)
2-02 fine (same broadcast as 2-01)
4-00 analog fine
4-01 digital fine
5-01 digital shrunk
7-00 analog fine
7-01 digital shrunk
7-02 digital fine

Could the 811 in S-video be shriking the 4:3 broadcasts that sometimes broadcast 16:9?

It would be nice to fix this so I could record full size 4:3 picture for these stations that have shrunk digital 4:3.

Pretty much all digital OTA stations use a constant 16x9 resolution 24/7 for their main subchannel. It is the various content inside that 16x9 window that can be 4x3 or 16x9.

ride525 said:
On my 811, both the Component and DVI outputs seem to work fine.
However, I recently purchased a DVD burner that only has composite and S-video inputs. When I use the S-video inputs, the Dish 4:3 stations all seem to work fine. The analog OTA stations all seem to come in fine as 4:3. But some of the OTA digital stations show correctly as 4:3 and some as shrunk. One broadcaster here in San Francisco, channel 2, KTVU, even has 2-01 as shrunk, and 2-02 shows correctly as full 4:3.
Any ideas of what is causing this on S-Video?
Thanks,
Jeff
I have the same thing happen on my 811 and Pioneer DVD recorder. If I record a OTA digital 4:3 standard definition station it will shrink the picture from top to bottom. Of course there are supposed to be black bars on the sides but it adds them to the top also.

The bars on top are added by the 811. The bars on the side are added by the station. Use the Full zoom option to remove all of the bars.

The DVI and component outputs use the page up button to adjust zoom, the page down button adjusts the s-video output. When you are on an HD channel (2.1 is HD, 2.2 is not) you will have the option of SD:Full Zoom or SD:Normal, when you view SD such as 2.2 or a regular dish channel the SD zoom option will lock to SD:Normal

Last edited:
kb7oeb said:
The bars on top are added by the 811. The bars on the side are added by the station. Use the Full zoom option to remove all of the bars.

The DVI and component outputs use the page up button to adjust zoom, the page down button adjusts the s-video output. When you are on an HD channel (2.1 is HD, 2.2 is not) you will have the option of SD:Full Zoom or SD:Normal, when you view SD such as 2.2 or a regular dish channel the SD zoom option will lock to SD:Normal

I notiiced this last night when playing around more. SD:Full Zoom works pretty well! It does Zoom just a few percent more so the very edges of the picture appear to be missing, but hardly noticeable, and a definite improvement!

Thanks,

Jeff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts