811 OTA Upgrade recommendations ???

kwcash

Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
I have lived with the 811 for the past year and a half. During that time, OTA HD reception has been iffy at best. Usually I get a signal strength less than 49%, therefore no programming.

Just purchased an HD TV with integrated tuner, and that set receives and displays ALL local OTA HD stations. The 811 obviously has some weakness in receiving and/or processing OTA HD signals.

Your recommendations for a Dish receiver that does not exhibit the 811 deficiencies ?

I should note that the stations I am pointed at are 90 miles distant. I am, however, at 5000 foot elevation with direct line of site to the transmitters.
The HD TV with integrated tuner is pulling these guys in just fine.

Thanks.

I too was underwhelmed with the 811's OTA performance as compared with the tuner in my Sony TV. The TV was superior on all channels in terms of less pixelation and fewer drop-outs. When I got my 622 I was hoping for an improvement, but in my case, if anything I believe the 622 is even less capable. I resorted to just using the TV directly whenever I want the best possible OTA reception. That leaves me absent of the DVR functionality, but for me that's not a big problem.

You didn't mention anything about your antenna system. Maybe there is a chance to improve on that. You'd be better to repost in the HD OTA forum for that discussion however...

wow... my experience with the 622 was the opposite. I got pretty good, but somewhat flakey reception with my Toshiba's ATSC tuner, but things got quite a bit better using the 622. In general, signal strength ranged from 60 to 80% with both, but it seems like the 622 can lock in a signal better than my TV. This was using a Philips rabbit ear/silver sensor combo antenna sitting on top of the TV (pulling in both VHF and UHF, Boise, ID area).
I finally broke down and installed a Channel Master 3016 on my roof. What a difference that made! all 95 to 100%, and rock-solid, too.
So, there could be a lot said for location. Perhaps the 622's tuner can deal with certain issues better than others.

Be VERY careful what you do! If you go with one of the VIP receivers you may be looking at additional programming charges:eek: if you do not subscribe to additional services. I used to have a 811, was "advised" by DISH to upgrade to 211 for additional HD channels. I changed, now stuck with HD fee and lease fee that I did not have before:river Also they have stated that they cannot send me back a 811. If you are not adding programming, you may just want to keep it the way it is - if it's not broken, (to badly), don't fix it. GOOD LUCK!!!

Be VERY careful what you do! If you go with one of the VIP receivers you may be looking at additional programming charges:eek: if you do not subscribe to additional services. I used to have a 811, was "advised" by DISH to upgrade to 211 for additional HD channels. I changed, now stuck with HD fee and lease fee that I did not have before:river Also they have stated that they cannot send me back a 811. If you are not adding programming, you may just want to keep it the way it is - if it's not broken, (to badly), don't fix it. GOOD LUCK!!!

It's for this exact reason, I'll stick with my 2 811's and 322. I refuse to pay upgrade fees, additional lease fees, and be forced to subscribe to a programming package (VOOM) that I don't give a crap about!

kwcash,

JohnEL is right about the increased receiver lease fee ($5-6), and additional HD programming fee ($10 or $15-20). The VIP receivers are better at tuning OTA than the 811.

Another thought is a 942 if you want to avoid the increase of programming fees. There would be the $6 DVR fee, but the 942 has a much better tuner than the 811 and would give you the ability to DVR and fee 2 separate TVs.

The 811s tuner was better than other ATSC tuners of its generation, but the next set of tuners (942 and VIP) are gererally better, especially with reflection. Bhelms points out they are not always better though.

Miner

What made it worse for me is that they told me that if I went with the 211, I'd received additional HD programming when new HD channels and the MPEG4 stuff went on line. Well guess what, no I can't get them!:eek: I have the Family Pack-by choice, for the programming, the old voom and HD packages. Result is I can not get any additional HD programming with the 211 than I had with the 811 and can not return to the 811. Just because I listened to someone in Tec support!!!

I'd say more but I do not want to say nasty things on the forum:shh :shh :shh

You could buy a used 811, activated it as a secondary and once you are sure its all activated return the 211. Dish will require mpeg4 someday but no one knows when.

Thanks, I might just do that when my 18 month commitment for the 211 ends in September. I do not want to give DISH any more money for a 2nd receiver to my account at this time. I'm already forced to pay those additional fees for nothing until then.:mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts