811 P285/P287 Software Update

WeeJavaDude said:
Darrell it might be that 2.82 will not update to 2.87. In this case you might have to get it swapped out. Did you ask them that question? Not sure what the criteria is for if they allow a skip in updates.

As far as I know, no special treatment for MODS at DBSTalk. I don't even thing the Beta people get the update to the new version. They are also on something other than released product from what I can tell...

Hopefully we will see 2.88 soon. As I am sure you can tell by now Black, Software releases are by no means a perdictable science. Last minute bug find can through a schedule off by a month.

Oh yea i am sure they are getting no special treatment but they all do have the update at least they got the 285 and 287. I know alot of us who are on 284 and later. The last two updates have been really weird?? It used to be the people who got there receivers first and also newly activated not now its some weird random thing that a few are getting?

People that got 285 by default got 287. As to the last two updates I would not say they have been weird, they have had some issues and my understading is that is why some people are still on 284. This is not a consperience and as for the comment on people that got their receivers first getting the update, I am not aware that there was ever any policy to that effect. When the 811 was first released the number of receivers were small out in the wild so everyone got the update when it happend. The user base is much larger now so it is more roll out based.

I know a lot of people that have 287 that are not mods. And I know a lot of people that jumped for 284 to 287 that are not mods. I went from 284 to 285 to 287 and got to feel some pain along the way.

WeeJavaDude said:
People that got 285 by default got 287. As to the last two updates I would not say they have been weird, they have had some issues and my understading is that is why some people are still on 284. This is not a consperience and as for the comment on people that got their receivers first getting the update, I am not aware that there was ever any policy to that effect. When the 811 was first released the number of receivers were small out in the wild so everyone got the update when it happend. The user base is much larger now so it is more roll out based.

I know a lot of people that have 287 that are not mods. And I know a lot of people that jumped for 284 to 287 that are not mods. I went from 284 to 285 to 287 and got to feel some pain along the way.

I am not saying that all mods just got 285 and then 287! I am saying that mods at that forum with a 811 got the updates. I am saying that these updates seem weird because yes you are right the user base was much smaller. When it got bigger there was a few time on the forum i was one of the first to post and let people know a new update was out a few time i did not but still had a new update. Even 284 i was one of the first to get it. Then after that to me and a few here and there we are not getting these updates. Yes you are right more people then mods got the new update i did some polls and PM's and read a bit about it.. I am not trying to attack anyone just saying that these last two updates since DEC 3 2003 I have not been getting them. Usually i was getting them the first day and a few other i have talked to here. I still find this weird??

IIRC, someone posted the update stream and the update was based on the hardware type (first 4 of the serial)... LADD/LADN etc etc etc and only certain receivers were getting 287.

Of course my recollection could be faulty, this wouldn't be the first time this week :D

Cheers,

Hmmm. IIRC I have LABD.... and I"m still on 284 ....

Not that it matters to me what dam version it is ....

BlackHitachi,

Hey, I went from 284 to 287 and I am not a mod at Dbstalk!

Don't worry, you aren't missing that much, though it has expanded memory for the favorite lists, and a few other cosmetic stuff, there really isn't anything special about 287!

However, I agree with you about the last two software releases being at least different from previous releases. I think that what happened is they released 285 then found some issues, so they through 287 out the door to fix those problems, then they found more issues with 287 so they stopped spooling it. Where 288 (or what ever version it will be) is I don't know, perhaps they are trying to figure something out before they release it, I don't know. Or perhaps they are putting the 811 on the back burner for awhile while they release their new receivers and the software that goes with them. (942?)

I'm going over to the bug report pages in a sec, but before I do, I have to ask...

Suddenly, without so much as a warning, both my 811s are essentially useless. I haven't checked whether a download/update occured, but here's what's happening. Both boxes see the complete guide, but there is zero picture and sound (all black) and the backgrounds to all the menus are gone, i.e. just the white type. Weird. So, I see all guide data, the signal is good and green lights on all transponders...but see nothing. And nothing in the setup/environment/wiring has changed.

WTF? Anyone have an idea what caused this and if there's a fix? My 942 is working just fine.

shanewalker said:
I'm going over to the bug report pages in a sec, but before I do, I have to ask...

Suddenly, without so much as a warning, both my 811s are essentially useless. I haven't checked whether a download/update occured, but here's what's happening. Both boxes see the complete guide, but there is zero picture and sound (all black) and the backgrounds to all the menus are gone, i.e. just the white type. Weird. So, I see all guide data, the signal is good and green lights on all transponders...but see nothing. And nothing in the setup/environment/wiring has changed.

WTF? Anyone have an idea what caused this and if there's a fix? My 942 is working just fine.

I have encountered this on my 811. I unplugged and rebooted. It came back. BFG has a post on this. I will search for what I think is affectionately termed the "black screen of death."

See this thread.

I've had the BSOD too...3 or 4 times over the time I've had the 811...in all cases a reboot fixed.

I also was one that went from 284 to 287...and I'm certainly not a mod anywhere, in case anyone was keeping track! :D 287 really had no affect, good or bad, on me and my normal viewing at all that I can tell.

BSOD, indeed.

Thanks for the responses. Got some feedback/group support/big hug of empathy over at DBStalk, too. I'll be doin' some rebooting this weekend, I can tell you ;)!

Well

BlackHitachi said:
I am not saying that all mods just got 285 and then 287! I am saying that mods at that forum with a 811 got the updates. I am saying that these updates seem weird because yes you are right the user base was much smaller. When it got bigger there was a few time on the forum i was one of the first to post and let people know a new update was out a few time i did not but still had a new update. Even 284 i was one of the first to get it. Then after that to me and a few here and there we are not getting these updates. Yes you are right more people then mods got the new update i did some polls and PM's and read a bit about it.. I am not trying to attack anyone just saying that these last two updates since DEC 3 2003 I have not been getting them. Usually i was getting them the first day and a few other i have talked to here. I still find this weird?
?

Well what?? there are two mods at DBSTalk. I got an update to 285 and then got bumped to 287. Jason runs both on an the current version and a beta. We are a sample of two it is not like ther is a bunch of us moding the 811 forum. BFG also got 287 and like others have said they have gotten it too.

I gave a possible explaination as to why you would have been first on the list and why you did not make the cut on the 287 release. I thought it was a resonable possibility. I personally don't see anything wierd about it since there is not a well defined reason for who gets what such as first in and first out. I see it as just the nature of the beast. What do you find so wierd about it?

At one point you have a small group of receivers to update so they go out in one block, later the group expands so they are divided into blocks and are rolled out in a linear fashion. If something is found during that liner fashion, you top the rollout to minimize exposure. Since the grouping is not based on when people purchased the units, I don't see you not getting 287 as wierd even if you were in the first group. Maybe at that time we all were in the first group.

That is just my opinion. Didn't take it as attacking.. I just have a different opinion and dont' consider you experience wierd. Just the nature of the Dish release process and expanding receiver count. This is purely opinion and I could be wrong.

WeeJavaDude said:
Well what?? there are two mods at DBSTalk. I got an update to 285 and then got bumped to 287. Jason runs both on an the current version and a beta. We are a sample of two it is not like ther is a bunch of us moding the 811 forum. BFG also got 287 and like others have said they have gotten it too.

I gave a possible explaination as to why you would have been first on the list and why you did not make the cut on the 287 release. I thought it was a resonable possibility. I personally don't see anything wierd about it since there is not a well defined reason for who gets what such as first in and first out. I see it as just the nature of the beast. What do you find so wierd about it?

At one point you have a small group of receivers to update so they go out in one block, later the group expands so they are divided into blocks and are rolled out in a linear fashion. If something is found during that liner fashion, you top the rollout to minimize exposure. Since the grouping is not based on when people purchased the units, I don't see you not getting 287 as wierd even if you were in the first group. Maybe at that time we all were in the first group.

That is just my opinion. Didn't take it as attacking.. I just have a different opinion and dont' consider you experience wierd. Just the nature of the Dish release process and expanding receiver count. This is purely opinion and I could be wrong.

Wow i feel like i am at Dbstalks now.:eek: I am sorry i said both 811 mods have the update. I did not know this would cause so much trouble. I guess its not weird that since i had my 811 i was in the first group to get updates. I guess i should have been buying lotto tickets because except the last two Very normal updates:rolleyes: i have gotten very very early!! Anyway still here rebooting every chance i get on 284. Waiting for lucky 7 to come in!!:D

Huh?? I just was answering your "Well" post with two items highighted. Thats all.. Didn't consider you causing trouble. Since you posted the Well figured I should try comment on the highlights.

WeeJavaDude said:
Huh?? I just was answering your "Well" post with two items highighted. Thats all.. Didn't consider you causing trouble. Since you posted the Well figured I should try comment on the highlights.

Ok cool i misunderstood. I will be happy when i have two HD receivers that work with all advertised features. I accually like my 811's on HD channels after that its kind downhill from there.

BlackHitachi,

Just think of it this way, Dish Network isn't using you as a beta tester! WeeJavaDude, Jason Nipp, myself, and others got stuck with being beta testers for 287 (Jason and Ron got stuck with 285). Yes, 287 fixes some issues, and the 811 seems to work a little better than before, but it is also IMHO, more buggy than it was with 284, there is nothing that you are missing except more headaches, yes you gain the favorite lists, but you also gain more BSOD! Beyond the favorite list, I don't see anything different, yes the menu's have an updated look, but that is all, nothing important!

Very Well said.

I agree, I wish I still had 284 myself. 287 is really nothing to be upset over not having...

Yeah.. Tony.. Just incase you don't know. WJD == Ron. :) And as for differences with 284 and 287. Well for me the end user experience is about the same. For my 287 has been pretty stable and I have had about 2 to 3 BSODs at the most. Not anything I would be too upset about. I did have that meltdown with ABC mucked with their PSIP data for a few days, but I am not sure if this would not of occurred on 284.

I know Bryan has had more grief with 287 so this is the case of YMMV, but like Tony and Bryan said I would not be to upset about not getting 287.

I can't stand 287 I am having nothing but problems with the POS....anytime tuning to a local OTA channel or away from my almost everytime the box locks with a black screen and the OTA light luminated...I have to either unplug hte box or kill the power switch....such a hassle Dish had better fix this crap soon

WeeJavaDude said:
Yeah.. Tony.. Just incase you don't know. WJD == Ron. :) And as for differences with 284 and 287. Well for me the end user experience is about the same. For my 287 has been pretty stable and I have had about 2 to 3 BSODs at the most. Not anything I would be too upset about. I did have that meltdown with ABC mucked with their PSIP data for a few days, but I am not sure if this would not of occurred on 284.

I know Bryan has had more grief with 287 so this is the case of YMMV, but like Tony and Bryan said I would not be to upset about not getting 287.

On both my 811 the PSIP is messed up i only get info on CBS and ABC. Nbc, Fox and Pbs i get local digital. No data? Like i said i also had Voom and things just worked better. My wife is getting all over me with all these bugs and BSOD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)