811 problem with OTA

Hytops

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2005
Last night NBC in Chicago Switched from 05-01 to 29-01 on the TV guide. This morning the station will not lock in. When is the software patch coming to this area. This has happened before with WGN and ABC. Always on a FRiday evening.

Hytops said:
Last night NBC in Chicago Switched from 05-01 to 29-01 on the TV guide. This morning the station will not lock in. When is the software patch coming to this area. This has happened before with WGN and ABC. Always on a FRiday evening.
Most likely you have 287 software. Here PBS does this daily and the 811 automatically maps to 18-01 in the evening but in the morning it locks up, get the BSOD and later it resets it's self. I have to manually re-Scan or re-Add the channel in the morning to get it back to 09-01/09-02. I usually re-Add because the 811 is just about the slowest when it comes to scanning for OTA. And here I was thinking how badly my 921's behaved before I got the 811.

Hytops said:
I'm having the same problem w/ my 811's in Chicago... I'm having other problems since I connected my OTA antenna so I'm glad to hear (sort of) that this latest thing is not just a problem I'm experiencing solely.

I'm having the same problem with Ch5. The picture flashes then the receiver will crash and reboot. If you guys remember WTTW digital was doing the same thing a few months ago. They changed something in their PSIP data stream that made in unwatchable with an 811. Someone called engineering and they made the correction.

Sent an e-mail to the director of engineering at NBC5... He responded: "We are having some issues with our HD equipment...hopefully the part will arrive on Tuesday (isn't it always over the holiday things break)...I apologize for your inconvenience..."

Thanks for the info. It's as if some duffles, on the way home for the weekend, pushs the wrong switch on the way out the door. Sometimes I wonder if they are playing with settings to save money?

Hytops said:
Thanks for the info. It's as if some duffles, on the way home for the weekend, pushs the wrong switch on the way out the door. Sometimes I wonder if they are playing with settings to save money?
If tested your theory would hold the most water :)

I exchanged a couple of emails with Ken Johnson from WMAQ engineering. The problem with WMAQ and the Dish 811 has been fixed.

Don't know about you folks, but neither of my two 811s are getting the NBC digitals. Am I missing something (besides 5-01 and 5-02). They come in fine on my 942...something is definitely still awry. Or do I need to institute some sort of hard reset?

I also am having a new problem with my 811 and NBC. I have been using an indoor amplified antennae and only getting sporadic results with reception, except NBC. It was the only station that came in well with it. I finally broke down and bought and installed an outdoor UHF antennae. All of our stations are in the UHF range. I have the antennae wired with no amplifiers and is properly grounded. All of the stations come in the 83 to 90% range. All of the stations lock on well except NBC, it is in the 83 to 85% range. The station flips on and off with the screen mode attention screen coming and going occasionally also.
The odd thing about it all is when I go to the guide, the picture in the upper right corner is rock solid. No flashing.
Any idea what is going on?

shanewalker said:
Don't know about you folks, but neither of my two 811s are getting the NBC digitals. Am I missing something (besides 5-01 and 5-02). They come in fine on my 942...something is definitely still awry. Or do I need to institute some sort of hard reset?
I think that my 811 automatically deleted the channel when NBC5 was having problems... Not sure though because I rescanned the DTV immediately when the problem started (and this would have removed it for sure). After the confirmation that the problem was fixed, I rescanned and it came back, no problem.

I tried to 'add digital channel' and it saw nothing in the 5 range. I also did an 'automated rescan' and again, no digital NBC (curiously, other channels were missing from the rescan--cancelled that)...odd. I'll try again tonight. Again, this was on two 811s, signal strength is good, and my 942 was getting NBC fine.

What's the consensus here, everyone else getting NBC now?

NBC5's DTV channel number is 29... When you say you looked for it, was it on channel 5 or 29? When scanning, when you see the channels counting up, these are the DTV channels, and they don’t necessarily correspond to the actual channel number.

Yeah, I scanned for 5 and 6, not 29...I'll give 29 a go. My bad.

Never had to get this 'hands on' with the V* reciever...it just worked ;).

antennaweb.org has the digital tv frequencies and their corresponding channel numbers (after you enter your zip code).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts