811 problem

harveystern

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
miami fl
I have a dish 811 since the 284 download i lost my fox ota and now i get the dreaded 49 percent , I have tried everything unpluging everything, I even called dish at there ex office and spoke to kelly nasty as can be told me its not a dish issue and hung up. Does anyone out there no an answer to this issue, I have been with dish for 9yrs and im ready to go to comcast. thanks harvey

It's not your 811. It is your antenna setup, your broadcasters signal, or environmental/seasonal factors. If you verify on antennaweb.org that you have the right kind of antenna pointed in the right direction, try calling the station and tell them nothing has changed on your end, but you can no longer get their signal, what did they do. Finally, be aware that low power DTV signals are affected by weather, trees (leaves or no leaves), and new construction (creates different reflections). This may not get you your Fox OTA signal, but at least you'll know that there isn't anything anybody can do about it.

I don't think you can just rule out the 811 that easy. I have had similar problems with the 49% with the 811 and used a friends D* box and had very good strength and used the sony built in tuner on our tv and 90% strength.

That's interesting that the particular station you're having issues with is Fox, as I (perhaps coincidentally) lost the OTA Fox station here in Chicago this past weekend going through my V* box. I wonder if they're doing something to their transmissions on several systems?

I checked my OTA strength and it was 94, so why I was getting guide info and no picture is beyond me...

If your signal dropped on all your digital stations, it would more point to a problem with the 811's ATSC tuner. But, since it is only one channel, it is most likely something else.

Unless there is a general flood of complaints about a given software upgrade creating a loss of signal or failure to lock problem, I'd call it coincidental. I didn't see much in these forums about P284 causing OTA reception problems. E* pretty much did what they could do with the software side of the 811's ATSC tuner last summer. There haven't been many gripes since.

Receiving an OTA signal on a different STB from the same antenna feed doesn't prove a problem with the 811. The 811 is what it is. There are better ATSC tuners available and there are worse (some of the first and second generation ATSC tuners).

I'm not defending E* regarding the 811, but the OTA reception issue was beat to death last year. E* fixed the software and almost all the complaints went away. If your 811 suddenly loses the ability to lock all the OTA signals that it previously did, then you probably have a failing tuner. If it is still under warranty, E* should replace it. But, a one channel problem is most likely due to the conditions I suggested you check in my previous post.