811 problems solved...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

redone

Original poster
Nov 20, 2004
Let me know if you want to buy my DISH 811 box (make me a reasonable offer).

I made the switch to Comcast HD with HD DVR. This is based on their Motorola DCT6412 HD DVR box. Got $400.00 in programming credit + free installation from them for my dish antenna and an old model 1000 receiver. Hooked it up to my Dish 34" HD television via the DVI connector, works beautifully. The video on demand is the real deal....really cool, works just like a DVR (even uses all the same controls on the remote). Not a huge selection of movies there, but lots of the newest stuff.

No $$$ outlay for the HD DVR (but $5.00/mo DVR fee, plus $9.95 HD programming package). Almost forgot that using an advanced piece of entertainment equipment doesn't have to be a pain in the butt. HD PQ is just like the 811, but no big surprise there. The dual tuners are REALLY nice. Much better quality out of the DCT6412's S-video port to my ReplayTV box than the 811 had, though. Haven't tried the composite out, though.

That's a great deal. My Dish contract expires soon, might be joining you over there in cable land. It's costs more for cable than Dish in my area, but the premium is worth it for equipment that works. Have an 811 for 12+ months and it's still full of bugs and missing features.

The 6412 was just made available in my area (San Jose,CA) and I am considering the switch but Cable cost is considerablely more expensive than Dish. OTOH they do have more HD movie channels (starzHD MaxHD ShoHD hboHD) and InHd1&2 but no HDnet/Movie. I also HATE the Motorola interface as there isnt anything like favorites list etc....

You would think in america that SOMEONE would get it ALL right and take our hard earned money AND deserve it

redone said:
Let me know if you want to buy my DISH 811 box (make me a reasonable offer).

I made the switch to Comcast HD with HD DVR. This is based on their Motorola DCT6412 HD DVR box. Got $400.00 in programming credit + free installation from them for my dish antenna and an old model 1000 receiver. Hooked it up to my Dish 34" HD television via the DVI connector, works beautifully. The video on demand is the real deal....really cool, works just like a DVR (even uses all the same controls on the remote). Not a huge selection of movies there, but lots of the newest stuff.

No $$$ outlay for the HD DVR (but $5.00/mo DVR fee, plus $9.95 HD programming package). Almost forgot that using an advanced piece of entertainment equipment doesn't have to be a pain in the butt. HD PQ is just like the 811, but no big surprise there. The dual tuners are REALLY nice. Much better quality out of the DCT6412's S-video port to my ReplayTV box than the 811 had, though. Haven't tried the composite out, though.

I'll be a free agent on the 21st. and Comcast just made available HD in my area.

Special Deals for dish users, even Best Buy got a deal for new subs of Comcast: Free installs and discounted monthly fees. And yes all my locals in HD. But I wonder how are the analog channels PQ? I will probably make the jump and wait till E* gets it's act together in HD and equipment. The dual tuners HD and HD DVR will justify the cost of getting my HDTV. I had hope E* was the answer claiming to be the leader. I am not a fence jumper but I will spend my money on a better deal and it looks like HD wise Comcast moving ahead. I was considering V* but having HD locals is a must and some of my OTA locals are just too far away.

Let me know about the analog PQ.

analog PQ on DCT6412

Bulldog said:
I'll be a free agent on the 21st. and Comcast just made available HD in my area.

Special Deals for dish users, even Best Buy got a deal for new subs of Comcast: Free installs and discounted monthly fees. And yes all my locals in HD. But I wonder how are the analog channels PQ? I will probably make the jump and wait till E* gets it's act together in HD and equipment. The dual tuners HD and HD DVR will justify the cost of getting my HDTV. I had hope E* was the answer claiming to be the leader. I am not a fence jumper but I will spend my money on a better deal and it looks like HD wise Comcast moving ahead. I was considering V* but having HD locals is a must and some of my OTA locals are just too far away.

Let me know about the analog PQ.

The analog stuff is all under channel 80 or so, where all the legacy cable networks hang out. The PQ seems to be good on all but a couple of channels (fortunately, they are ones I don't care about). If I had to compare, say, the SciFi channel, between the 811 and the Comcast setup, I'd have to say the PQ is about the same. I would also say that the PQ channel-to-channel on the dish setup is more consistent than the Comcast analog channels. No surprise there. Of course a lot of this depends on how strong your cable signal is at your location. Right back to why analog sucks: your milage may vary.

One other difference I've noticed is that on the non-HD digital channels, the Motorola/Comcast setup seems to do a better job blending dark backgrounds that have minor shading variations over large areas. Am annoying artifact on some digital video setups is that those smooth color/brighness gradients turn into into a series of concentric rings of slightly different color shades, with moving pixelization at the ring borders. Sort of like watching TV on a 16 color PC display (exaggerating, of course).

Wow, you can only find 811 problems with Dish? I've counted over a thousand now. :) (J/K)

Seriously, I'm a few days from dumping Dish myself. Talked to Time Warner yesterday, and for only $20/month more than what I'm paying now, I get so much more:

Box 1: HD DVR (instead of an 811)
Box 2: HD w/Firewire (instead of a 6000)
Box 3: DVR (additional box - had nothing before)

All local HD (PBS, CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox) except UPN comes through the cable -- no OTA antenna which wasn't working for me at all.

HBO & Sho west signals in addition to the east signals.

INHD1 & INHD2.

If I sign up for a year, they cut my price in half, so I'll actually save about $35/month for the first year. Then since I'm moving after that -- I probably won't ever pay the full price anyway. And I don't have to give them my boxes, so I'll also get about $200 apiece for them on eBay.

So no rain/snow fade, no waiting endlessly for a Firewire box that'll actually dump to my JVC 30K, no shelling out up front for a DVR or two, no external antenna for my OTA HD channels -- I'll be happy.

redone said:
The analog stuff is all under channel 80 or so, where all the legacy cable networks hang out. The PQ seems to be good on all but a couple of channels (fortunately, they are ones I don't care about). If I had to compare, say, the SciFi channel, between the 811 and the Comcast setup, I'd have to say the PQ is about the same. I would also say that the PQ channel-to-channel on the dish setup is more consistent than the Comcast analog channels. No surprise there. Of course a lot of this depends on how strong your cable signal is at your location. Right back to why analog sucks: your milage may vary.

One other difference I've noticed is that on the non-HD digital channels, the Motorola/Comcast setup seems to do a better job blending dark backgrounds that have minor shading variations over large areas. Am annoying artifact on some digital video setups is that those smooth color/brighness gradients turn into into a series of concentric rings of slightly different color shades, with moving pixelization at the ring borders. Sort of like watching TV on a 16 color PC display (exaggerating, of course).

Thanks for the Info! Today I am a free agent, so Comcast here I come.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)