811 Question - How to Get DT Channel Names To Stick

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Moman19

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 7, 2004
St. Louis
No matter how hard I try, I am unable to get Channel names of local OTA-DT Channels to stick in the EPG. One local in particular always shows up as it's UHF channel number instead of it's true VHF counterpart. For example, the local Channel 2 Fox affilliate shows in the EPG as "43-01" Although it appears crrectly as "2-01" when first found in setup.

Any clues?????

The problem is your local station not the 811. The station need to make sure they are transmiting the correct PSIP.

n0qcu said:
The problem is your local station not the 811. The station need to make sure they are transmiting the correct PSIP.

That's what I thought. However, when I e-mailed their engineering dept, they claim it's at my end. One would think they would know.

I didn't push back because the guide does list the station correctly at first when I reinstall it. If that's the case, why would it change to the UHF channel number permanently unless I delete the station and start rhe process all over?

In fact, other local 811 users (St. Louis) claim to not have this issue while I've seen it on two dofferent boxes.

Puzzled.

Some stations PSIP is programmed wrong. For instance, our PBS station sometimes shows on some receivers the wrong virtual channel number and in looking at our PSIP guide that I used to set out two digital transmitter encoders to, I saw a note about this. I do not recall this exact sequence, but after convincing the PBS guys to fix theirs, it worked and still does. Unfortunately, a coolant leak destroyed this manual and I do not have the information.
Possibly the station you are refering to will have to upgrade the PSIP this year with the latest FCC rules on complete PSIP and that will fix the problem.

Good news on the PSIP front should come early next year when the FCC will require ATSC broadcasters to provide usable PSIP data. Here's a link to an article at Digital TV Magazine that talks about this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)