811 Receiver & OTA Scan Problem

Velshar

Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
I cannot get the 811 receiver to scan my digital channels correctly. I know the signal is good because I have a digital tuner in my TV and all the channels I want work fine.

Also, I already have 3 OTA digital channels programmed into my 811 receiver. These were programmed in when the Dish installer showed off 811 digital OTA tuner with a pair of rabbit ears. If I go to those channels with my antenna, I see them just fine and get about 80-83% signal strength.

However, for some reason when I go through the 811 Menu system (6-1-5) to program in my DTV channels, the signal meter never shows any signal strength at all. This is true even for the pre-programmed channels I can already watch.

Is there something wrong with this 811 unit, or am I missing something?

When you go to 6-1-5, do you go to "Add DTV", then enter the "real channel" number of the station you want to receive? The virtual numbers you see in the EPG won't work in the HDTV locals setup. You need the actual channel numbers.

Yup, did that. When I put in channel 8 for instance (ABC here) I get nothing on the signal indicator and it will not let me save the channel.

Yet, on my TV tuner, I can tune into channel 8 (Actually 8.01) just fine. I sat and watched most of the Monday Night football game in HD just a moment ago. I occassionally get a small hickup in the signal but otherwise no problem seen.

Go to antennaweb.org put in your zip code, clk show digital stations only.
now the chs you put in your 810 are listed under frequency assigned at the far right on the chart.

Velshar said:
Yup, did that. When I put in channel 8 for instance (ABC here) I get nothing on the signal indicator and it will not let me save the channel.

Yet, on my TV tuner, I can tune into channel 8 (Actually 8.01) just fine. I sat and watched most of the Monday Night football game in HD just a moment ago. I occassionally get a small hickup in the signal but otherwise no problem seen.

You are making the mistake I was referring to. That is, you are trying to lock DTV channels w/ their analog channel numbers. You get 8.01 because the installer setup the "real" DTV channel number in your 6-1-5 menu.

Go to antennaweb.org and find out the "real" channel numbers of your DTV channels. Then enter those numbers in the 6-1-5 menu. When they lock, you will see a display of their "virtual" channel numbers (i.e., the channel number you are familiar with followed by -01 or -02.

THANKS!!! This fixed the problem. I have been at this off an on for a while and it was all because of the stupid numbers. :)

Sorry, I did not quite catch on with the first reply. I appreciate you guys taking the time to reply.

Yeah, since I thought the major network channels were on the traditional 4-13, I always stopped the scan prematurly figuring it was not picking up any stations.

I assumed the channel scan was not working. I think (among other things) there is a lesson in patience here. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts