811 remote question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bjohn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
I have two 811's.

One is hooked upto a rca non-hdtv.
On this one, when I press the sat button, it turns on the 811 and the Tv and sets the TV to video 1. So with one button press i'm able to watch tv.

Another 811 is connected to a sony kp46wt510. on this one i have to turn both on individually.

I'm confused. is it supposed to turn both devices on by pressing the sat button? Wish i could do that with my other 811 too.

I am surprised it is doing that on the RCA. My impression of the 811 remote was that it would emulate other remotes if you got the right code, but that you could not program macros into it (which on my system would be turn on TV and switch input to DVI or Component 1 or whatever.)

I use a Harmony programable remote to accomplish something like that. The only thing I can think of is that the RCA power on IR command is the same as the command the remote is putting out when you hit the Sat button and that the TV either seeks out the input with the signal or that is the only TV input you use so it is always on Video1.

I didn't program the remote to operate the RCA tv, whatever code was in there works.

The great thing is that even if the tv is on channel 4 or something, when i press the sat button, it turns tv and 811 ON and puts it on video1.

Now only if i could recreate that for my other 811 :)

GaryPen said:
Perhaps the 811 remote is designed to do that with Dish-in-a-box. Since DIAB and RCA are both made by Thomson, it may explain it.

No, it's not dish in a box.
Just a regular rca tv, not even HD

Perhaps that model of TV detects an active input from the satellite receiver and turns itself on and switches to the input.

My Hitachi RPTV does that for just 1 of it's inputs. If you have something attached to it, it will detect if the box turns on, and turn on the TV and select that input.

Welcome aboard sfletcher! :)

Cool feature! It should be noted that some E* receivers have an active black output even when they're in stand-by. That can hurt some automatic switching. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)