811 s-video and dvi at the same time

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

babyjayc

Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
I have a question:

If I have the 811 hooked up to an hdtv via DVI, and I'm turned to, let's say, HBO HD, and I have the s-video hooked up to a regular non-hd tv at the same time on the same unit... would the picture show up as a widescreen on the regular tv? How is the picture quality?

Thanks in advance.

babyjayc said:
If I have the 811 hooked up to an hdtv via DVI, and I'm turned to, let's say, HBO HD, and I have the s-video hooked up to a regular non-hd tv at the same time on the same unit... would the picture show up as a widescreen on the regular tv? How is the picture quality?

I don't have any of the Dish HD channels, so I can only speak for OTA HD. You'll get black bars at the top and bottom of the s-video output. With the current software, I can't find any way to change that behavior. The picture quality seems fine, although I haven't studied it in any detail.

-Steve

That's right. HD over the S-video or composite is letterboxed. Non HD is the way you'd expect over the same connections.

babyjayc said:
I have a question:

Thanks in advance.

I can't speak to the 811 directly, but when I got my 811, I moved my 6000 to a standard 4:3 TV. The s-video output delivers a widescreen letterboxed picture. The quality of that picture is outstanding on the HD programs.

That's good to hear, because I will be using both outputs at once and it's important that the quality of the s-video/composite/[what's the lowest quality one called?] is acceptable for others when I'm enjoying HDTV for myself. ;)

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)