811 Sleep Function?

markdwest

Original poster
Oct 25, 2004
Is there a way to program the 811 to "sleep" after 30 minutes? I used to set the TV to sleep after 30 minutes, leaving the Dish on. Then the Dish folks told me to turn the 811 off at night to get the updates -- I did. But if I have to turn the 811 off, the sleep function on the TV becomes useless. Did I miss a page in the manual -- shouldn't this be easy to coordinate?

Welcome to SatelliteGuys,

You should be able to do this using the 811's timer functions. Set an "Autotune" for a show you want to watch for a half hour then put receiver into standby (powerdown with remote). When that show comes on it would turn the 811 on and off coordinating with the show.

Jason

??

The main question here I think is how to get the receiver to go into standby on its own to begin with. I'm not familiar with the 811 but I have a 522 and know there is no sleep timer on it. However, you can turn on the automatic updates feature (if 811 is like 522 in that respect) and you set a specific time each day (or night) to get the latest guide info and check for new software. Then afterwards it goes into standby mode. So that's about as close as you come to a sleep timer, but it does solve your primary problem at hand, getting software updates. I think it defaults to 3am and most people set theirs to around that time, mine is at 4am.

TuxCoder said:
The main question here I think is how to get the receiver to go into standby on its own to begin with. I'm not familiar with the 811 but I have a 522 and know there is no sleep timer on it. However, you can turn on the automatic updates feature (if 811 is like 522 in that respect) and you set a specific time each day (or night) to get the latest guide info and check for new software. Then afterwards it goes into standby mode. So that's about as close as you come to a sleep timer, but it does solve your primary problem at hand, getting software updates. I think it defaults to 3am and most people set theirs to around that time, mine is at 4am.
PVR's are a little different. If the 811 has a user selectable refresh I am not aware of it.

Jason

Autotune is way too much trouble; my wife wants to push one button and fall asleep watching whatever stupid show is on. I guess the 811 doesn't provide for this. I also tried to see if I could get my harmony remote to send an "off" to the 811 30 minutes after the activity, but no dice. Please let me know if you come up with anything.

markdwest said:
Is there a way to program the 811 to "sleep" after 30 minutes? I used to set the TV to sleep after 30 minutes, leaving the Dish on. Then the Dish folks told me to turn the 811 off at night to get the updates -- I did. But if I have to turn the 811 off, the sleep function on the TV becomes useless. Did I miss a page in the manual -- shouldn't this be easy to coordinate?
Use your TV's timer. There are not that many updates to worry wether the 811 is off or not. Just shut it off on your way to work in the am. If there any updates this month you will get them while you are out.
As soon as one is released there are multiple postings here to let you know all about it.

Kevinw:

The Dish rep says that I need to leave it on around 3 a.m. to get the programming guide. One of my problems in the past was that I kept having to wait for it to download when I'd change channels. Any truth to that? It does SEEM better now that it's off at night, but that might be the new software or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts