811 Software Updated to 262

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I got the update last night and still getting problems listed below. Running 811 through DVI on Sony GWII LCD

1: Does not happen every time but switching between OTA and SD I will lose picture and get message saying acquiring satellite signal. The only the way to get the signal back is to do a switch check.

2: Popping sound from TV speakers. After this happens I will sometimes lose sound. I can get the sound back by changing to a different channel. Again this happens switching between OTA and SD.

3: Still dark picture

4: Still mapping problem. Will lose my local OTA channels. If come to it latter it will be back.

Things that where fixed

1:Aspect modes. They seem to work great. It will also keep what ever aspect I have assigned even after I turn receiver off.

2: Receiver is not locking up. At least it did not last night.

markusian said:
rad said:
There was also a slight change to how PSIP worked on the OTA channels. There's one channel that worked fine on the 6K I had. On the 811 it would tune it in only 1 out of 10 times. Now if the 811 can't get it the box removes the channel from my OTA HD channel list completly and I have to readd it if I want to try it again.

IT seems like this "slight change to how PSIP worked" broke it. I have channel 57 mapped to 4.01 and 4.02. When I switch from 4.01 to 4.02, it jumps instead to 57.02 and the mapping to channel 4 is lost.

It worked fine before the latest update.

This may be more "local" specific, but here goes. When I was using my 6000, I would do an autoscan on digital channels. Channels 4-1 and 4-2 (KRON) would be added. I found that when I viewed 4-1 all was well. However, when I would go to 4-2, which is a service channel, my 6000 would always remap to 57-1 and 57-2. So, I would always delete 4-2 from the channels. That fixed that problem. I tried to do the same thing with the 811. It just remaps 4-1 to 57-1 and adds 57-2. The 811 is doing the same thing with 7-1 and 7-2, although 7-2 is a channel that has programming on it. When I go to 7-2, it maps to 24-1. Sometimes it just deletes 7 entirely. These are problems with the software in the 811.

Aspect ratio gripe

I assumed that the software update would give me the same aspect ratio control on the 811 as on the 6000 for switching the aspect of OTA digital stations on an SD television, but apparently it only allows aspect ratio changes through component or DVI output to a Digital monitor. Why? I have my 811 hooked up in the same setup I had my 6000 in -- a front screen projector but with a standard def CRT television for use as a monitor and for primary viewing when I don't want to fire up the projector. Now I'm stuck with a windowbox view of local digital stations.

Why eliminate a feature the 6000 already had? This doesn't make any sense to me.

Re: Aspect ratio gripe

Forward said:
I assumed that the software update would give me the same aspect ratio control on the 811 as on the 6000 for switching the aspect of OTA digital stations on an SD television, but apparently it only allows aspect ratio changes through component or DVI output to a Digital monitor. Why? I have my 811 hooked up in the same setup I had my 6000 in -- a front screen projector but with a standard def CRT television for use as a monitor and for primary viewing when I don't want to fire up the projector. Now I'm stuck with a windowbox view of local digital stations.

Why eliminate a feature the 6000 already had? This doesn't make any sense to me.

I would also like the same aspect ratio controls on the 811 as the 6000 had but after thinking about it I'm not sure how it would work. The * key on the 6000 changed the aspect ratio for whichever output was active (SD or HD since both couldn't be on at the same time) but with the 811 both SD and HD outputs are on at the same time. I wouldn't want my HD setting to change when I hit the * key to change the SD aspect ratio.

They really need a separate key on the remote for SD. :(

I hope you are all calling Dish or reporting these issues to them via their email page. The more people they note are reporting the issues, I would assume would increase the level of urgency to fix things and allow them to get a better picture of exactly where the problems in the software are.

This issue I posted below seems to have corrected itself. So disregard.

- OTA Analog channels appear to have flashes of white pixels (switching noise?) when in the normal & grey bar aspect mode. This goes away under all other aspect modes. I am monitoring the component video out.

My 811 was installed today. The only issues i have had so far is the receiver locking up, to which i would press and hold power button to do a reset.

I can say that my picture is not dark by any means. In fact it's extremely vibrant. I am hooked up via component video. I have to admit the HD picture is great, but i didn't "Wow" me like i thought it would. I still see some pixelization (but nowhere as bad as the regular sd channels). Others have mentioned a dramatic difference with DVI hook-up vs component.

Ransack said:
My 811 was installed today. The only issues i have had so far is the receiver locking up, to which i would press and hold power button to do a reset.

I can say that my picture is not dark by any means. In fact it's extremely vibrant. I am hooked up via component video. I have to admit the HD picture is great, but i didn't "Wow" me like i thought it would. I still see some pixelization (but nowhere as bad as the regular sd channels). Others have mentioned a dramatic difference with DVI hook-up vs component.

The Component out is not to bad, hook up a S-Video output and give it a look. And I think that even HD is not as bright as it was on my 6000. Guess if I don't hear something about new code for this issue soon, I'll revert to my 6000 to get a side by side comparison.

Ransack said:

One thing you should realize Ransack that all HD is not considered equal. I have seen some shows have lots of pixelazation while others non at all. I have attributed most of this to source material and encoding methods and mechanisms. Give it some time.. What Discovery HD and I think you will come to the same conclusion.

Once i get my UHF antenna hooked up, i am intersted to see the difference in HD quality of E* vs off-air. (note to others: the Zenith Silver sensor does not work if you are outside a yellow area as defined on antennaweb.org...i figured i would try it just in case and it goes back to BB today).

I am also in the running for a contest at work for a 42" plasma tv (don't know the brand). i would be interested to see the picture quality with DVI on that set (as my 57" toshiba RPTV must have been one of the last ones made last year without DVI...oh how i wish i could go back in time!!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts