811 Still has terrible OTA problems

Personally since you can get a DVI cable for about 15 bucks I would give it a try. Do not get a Monstor DVI cable ($100 bucks) you will not see any difference. DVI will either work on not work and there is no difference in PQ between cables. This is because the signal is digital. Any problems with the DVI cable would result in loss of picture or pieces of a picture. Similar to what happens with the HD Pictures at times when you have a weak signal.

I say Go DVI.. You may not get an improvement, It may be a minimal one, or you might be really suprised. That is my take...

WLong said:
Not all RPTV's are analog.

http://www.hitachi.us/tv/browse/projection/16-9digital_mon/65T500.shtml

Here is mine, and per the specs, its Digital.

The page you referenced is a CRT based projection TV, which would be analog. The only digital RPTV's are LCD, LCOS, or DLP based. The TV you referenced has a digital video processor, but the final output device (CRT) is still analog.

[edit] dang.. missed the page 2 reference. sorry! [/edit]

Your TV is analog. All CRT-based TVs are analog so there is a conversion happening. (See #3).

Here's some info on DVI (Thanks to 57U!).

Some Comments on DVI

1. DVI is digital (sending information at over 1 Gb/sec. Component Video is analogue.

2. DVI was not designed to provide superior picture quality to component video. They should really be considered as "equals" in terms of PQ. Any differences you see are likely due to differences in equipment, not the connector.

3. DVI may provide a superior picture when viewed on a fixed pixel display (like LCD, DLP, Plasma, LCoS) since these are digital displays, so the signal remains digital "all the way". CRT-based TVs are analogue, therefore a superior picture is less likely on HD inputs since the D/A conversion must take place somewhere in the chain.

4. TVs contain EDID, which the source device (e.g. STB) reads in order to determine the video formats the TV (sink) supports. There is nothing in the EDID that positively tells the source that the sink is TV or a recorder, etc.

5. So far, few A/V receivers have DVI switching capability. Those that do are "flagship" receivers (very expensive).

6. DVI switches are quite expensive (>US$175).

7. DVI cables may have a length limitation of about 25-30’.

8. DVI comes in two flavors: digital (DVI-D) or digital and analog (DVI-I). Computers tend to support DVI-I. STBs and DVD Players tend to support DVI-D.

9.HDMI is backward-compatible with DVI.

10. When connecting via DVI, it often "disables" the TVs stretch modes since the TV thinks it's getting an HD signal. This can cause some problems and perhaps require a second connection... This issue is specific to the TV, the STB or the DVD player...

AdamB

WLong said:
Not all RPTV's are analog.

http://www.hitachi.us/tv/browse/projection/16-9digital_mon/65T500.shtml

Here is mine, and per the specs, its Digital.

waja said:
What viewable light source is not analog? I believe all display devices will need to output an analog signal at some point to accommodate our analog vision.

Yes, but a 'digital' RPTV such as a DLP, LCOS, or LCD can specifically say pixel 1:1 is red, 1:2 is blue, etc.. whereas a CRT can only approximate where the color is displayed.

Given, CRT's approximate that quite well, but that is why you don't see a big difference between component cable versus DVI on CRT based projection TV's. The position of a pixel is eventually still approximated on CRT, you are simply changing where the conversion of digital to analog takes place.. in the TV or in the satellite receiver.

I went ahead and purchased the DVI cable, I found a website that sells them for $18 and I spent $13 to have it shipped overnight. Thanks--for the advice. Scott At this point it's worth it to free a component input up.

Back to Original Topic

Sorry to interrupt the analog/digital off on a tangent from the original topic discussion but I really want to talk to digital OTA mapping problems of the 811. It appears when you add a digital OTA station via the local channels menu, the channels will initially map correctly to the proper SD (analog) OTA channel. This mapping will later be lost for at least some channels and in some cases, the entire digital channel will no longer be there. In other threads there has been discussions on inconsistent/incorrect PSIP info in the digital OTA signal that causes this. It has also been pointed out this problem occurs with other HDTV receivers both satellite and terrestrial HDTV receivers.
I was wondering if the 811 could lock this channel mapping via in the local channels menu bypassing any future inconsistent/incorrect PSIP info.

On another note from the original thread, after I first downloaded the 264 software upgrade, my 811 guide features worked almost flawlessly. Then when the EPG was changed for the Viacom dispute, I began experiencing guide problems like some have described here. Now that the EPG is back to normal, my guide problems appear to have gone away. Anyone else notice this.

Just as an FYI: I had a Samsung SIR-T351, as well as the 811. The Sammy had no problem with mapping the local digital channels and keeping them at the correct channel numbers.

Since the 811 maps the channels correctly initially, it could just be that the 811 updates the channel guide every time you go to the digital channel, and any hiccup in the PSIP info could cause the loss. Perhaps the Samsung maps them once and then leaves them alone... Who knows? I don't.

Still better than 921 OTA, and yes

rocatman said:
... It appears when you add a digital OTA station via the local channels menu, the channels will initially map correctly to the proper SD (analog) OTA channel. This mapping will later be lost for at least some channels and in some cases...On another note from the original thread, after I first downloaded the 264 software upgrade, my 811 guide features worked almost flawlessly. Then when the EPG was changed for the Viacom dispute, I began experiencing guide problems like some have described here. Now that the EPG is back to normal, my guide problems appear to have gone away. Anyone else notice this.

I have an 811 and 921 (sold my 6000 when I got my 921 and converted to Dish Pro)...I think it is funny how people say the 811 is so unstable and bad OTA, when I would say it is generally as stable, and probably more stable than the 921...and its OTA is superior. Since 1_47 arrived on 921, it takes maybe 5 or even 10 seconds for my 921 to sync in on the OTA signal. The 811 syncs in no more than 3 seconds, and usually instantly. I have one channel (Digital-30) that both see with ~100 signal strength, but my 921 won't let me watch -- oh, it's on the menu, I just can't watch it. However, the 811 displays it just fine!
I will admit that it's probably not that one's better than the other...just have different quirks at this time.

As for guide...I received my 811 the day before the channels were cut, and it behaved strangely that next day, and as soon as the channels returned, it behaved more or less correct. Between the intermittent subtitles appearing, and the loss of the Viacom channels, I wouldn't have known these problems were a separate issue...but yes, I did notice something analogous to what you are describing -- a lock up requiring a power-cycle followed by a 2 minute download of the program guide info. Based upon other posts, I'm not yet satisfied that one was causal to the other...but if I have no other program guide lockup/malfunctions in the near future, I'd probably stipulate to your assumption.
-NICK

DVI is worth the trouble!

scott5626 said:
I am really on the fence about buying a DVI cable for my 811. Some say no difference some say there's quite a change. Anybody else have any opions. :no
DVI is definitely better than component when feeding my rear projection Samsung DLP.. I would go for the DVI with plasma, LCD, or DLP/LCD rear projection.

BTW, DVI cables are not expensive... use e-bay...

Cheers!

811 and Digital OTA works good for me

FWIW... My 811 works great for my OTA digital needs. I'm receiving all 7 OTA digital stations available in my market ... and with the 811, I receive one digital station OTA that I could not receive with my 6000 and the same antenna.

I don't experience ANY problems switching between satellite HD/SD and digital OTA with version 264.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts