811 svideo/dvi/component problem

mike1973

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 22, 2004
Rochester, NY
Ok, I'm going to list my hookups here, then the problem, this could get long winded :) Setting up a 811 for my brother on a Sony 32" Wega HDTV. I have alot of experience with non-HD satellite, but none with HD.

TV input 811 output
Video1 S-video&RCA audio for watching normal TV, not through stereo
Video6 Component out
Video7 DVI out Both 6&7 use optical input to Sony stereo receiver

Ok, on video 1 through svideo, everything looks "normal"(widescreen on HD channels, normal 4x3 on standard). Once we switch to either video 6 or 7 the non HD channels are still 4x3 but the image is compressed in the center of the screen, with 5-6" borders around all sides. The HD channels are still widescreen but it seems "squished" down so that the video seems compressed up and down. I have played with the zoom settings (page up and down on the remote) and haven't had much luck. I figure I must be missing something in the menus, I have tried all the options in the HD setup on the 811 (menu 6,1,9). Also looked on the tv menus but didn't seem to have options at all. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, this is my first time messing with HDTV and its not going well! Thanks in advance.

Mike

Your brother's TV should have zoom or stretch options. It does sound like the TV's stretch mode may be playing some part here and throwing everything off. The 811 should be set to whatever the TV's native format and resolution are (720 or 1080, and 16x9 or 4x3). Once everything matches properly you should not have borders everywhere. Which model of Sony WEGA is it?

well that is a 4x3 TV... so I think you need to set the 811 to 4x3 in the HD setup and 1080i.

lets make sure you've got that right first... then you'll have to tinker with the stretch modes... just toggle threw them with the star key or pgup pgdn keys on the 811 remote.. The tv should be set to normal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts