811 timers for DVD Recorder

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Ricky91

Original poster
Mar 12, 2005
This is my first post after reading these forums for several months. I have learned a great deal from all the members.I have an 811 receiver and want to add a dvd recorder to my setup. Is it possible to use the timers from the 811 to control recording on a dvd recorder or is that only for a vcr?
I'm considering a pioneer 520 h or a Toshiba rd xs 32. The Toshiba has an IR Blaster which is supposed to control satellite boxes. I was wondering if anyone has this box and if it will control the 811? Any input would be appreciated.
Eventually I would like a hd pvr but I have been an E* customer for over six years and probably not eligible for the 942. I also would want to wait for the mpeg4 receivers. Thanks again for any help.

The Dish receivers can control VCRs (Record and Stop only) but not any DVD recorders that I know of. The VCR method would be to leave it on and the Dish timers would blast a Record and a Stop. Most DVD recorders require a little more work or turn themselves off if idle a long time annd thus would not record.

Having the recorder signal the receiver might work but the time sync seems to drift on the two I have/had and the program guide is better/free on the Dish.

Setting both timers works but is a real pain as I used to do with the 811. A 921 allows you to record and then play back later or time delayed while recording to DVD.

Remember to turn off Caller ID and the timer icon. A 921 bug puts the current banner up when starting a recording even though you view another.

-Ken

I leave the 811 or 921 on to the station I want to record and set the timer on the DVD recorder to "Line IN". I have the S video's going to one of the intakes of the DVD. On my Toshiba RD-SX32 I have three separate S line IN's.

Not correct

KKlare said:
The Dish receivers can control VCRs (Record and Stop only) but not any DVD recorders that I know of. -Ken

I recently bought a Panasonic DVR (DVD) and it does work with the 811. The Panasonic Manual says to use Panasonic VCR codes. Not sure other brands will work.

Thanks for the replies. I'll be getting the pioneer. Glad the 811 will control the recorder.

I have a JVC DRMV1S and none of the 811 VCR codes work on it. The JVC has a IR blaster that works on the 881 though. However, it can only tune to DBS channels 100 through 999. Thus, my OTA locals and my DBS locals and HD channels aren't programmable. Very frustrating!

Recording to a dvd with the Dish 811 is not that big a deal. You're probably already in the 811s EPG when deciding what to record, so just "select" the program, check "autotune" & press "create" - takes about 5 seconds. Then set timer on dvd recorder using whatever input the 811 is hooked to.

I have a Panny E85 and have my 811 hooked to input L3 and my 508 hooked to L2. When setting a timer on this unit, it will default to whatever input you're using at the time, which saves a step.

If your dvd recorder has a hard drive, then add a minute or two to start time and end time to make sure you get the whole thing and you can always edit out what you don't need before you burn to dvd.

Carl B said:
I have a JVC DRMV1S and none of the 811 VCR codes work on it.
Strange. My 811 controls my DRMV1S just fine! I use code 5-6-2. Keep in mind that the 811 will only provide RECORD and STOP commands, and not POWER ON/OFF.

Interesting.... I guess I should have tried harder to find codes for my DVD recorder... I was only testing the power button....

Anyone have a working code for the iLO/Liteon DVD recorder?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)