811 to 622 Upgrade - Questions

Offroad

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 13, 2004
Currently I have an 811, Dish Pro on 110 and 119 satelites, and an antenna in my attic that I receive all SD and HD OTA locals from. Current programming is AT60 and the old 9.99 HD pack. The 622 will do OTA HD DVR functions from my attic antenna correct?

I haven't taken any promotion or upgrades since moving from my original 301 (I think) receiver to the 811 a couple of years ago. At that time I paid $199 for the 811 and added the 9.99 HD pack. I don't pay a lease fee so I guess I own the 811?

I want to upgrade to the 622, and Bronze HD pack. My locals are fine on the attic antenna so I won't pay Dish for them as I can't see any advantage there. I will only have the 622 but will have it hooked up to both my Living room HD monitor and a SD set in the bedroom

I'm still confused about what discounts I'm entitiled to, and where I should go to get them. I don't want to spend $499 for the 622 so I guess I'll have to lease it.

From what I read here. I can upgrade to the 622 for $199?
Then I'm entitled to $10 off my monthly bill for 10 months? ($100 back)
Will Dish give me anything for the 811 and if so how much?
Should I sell the 811 on eBay or somewhere else instead?

How long are these discounts good for? (When do they expire)

After the $10 off for 10 months is over, my bill should be:
49.99 - Bronze HD pack
5.99 - Lease Fee?
5.99 - DVR fee?
Total - $60 per month?

Since I'd be leasing my receiver if there is ever a problem with it Dish, will have to send another one even after the warranty is up?

Originally I used a local dealer for the 3xx receiver and the upgrade the to the 811 and he sent out the installer. Should I do the same for this upgrade or should I call Dish directly?

Will I need a new Satellite Dish on the roof (Dish 1000 or other)?
Also I read the 622 has two RG6 Sat inputs, I currently have only one cable coming from the Dish Pro. Will I need another and if so will I have to run this or will the installer?

Thanks for all advice, I'm sorry for so many questions but I'd rather get great advice from knowegeable people here than wait untill I'm talking to a CSR that may be hard to understand.

Thanks again.

First answer re: OTA HD DVR - yes, with one (OTA) tuner. I can't verify that your attic antenna will be adequate. Some report that the OTA tuner in the 622 is superior to that in other E* receivers. In my case, my 622's OTA tuner is only about equal to my 811's and both are inferior to the OTA tuner in my TV set itself, YMMV. (Remember that the 622's tuner is digital only, in case that matters to you.) You will probably get the same results with your attic antenna/622 as you currently get with your 811.

Generally you don't pay a lease fee on your "primary" receiver, which in your case is probably your 811. I'd ask about who owns it before assuming anything.

The advantage to also paying for your LiLs from E* is that you can receive the local program information in your program guide. You can opt-out of the locals, but that will make setting timers for recording them a purely manual process. Try without and add them later if recording OTA is a hassle for you.

If the 811 is indeed leased you'll have to return it and get nothing for it. Otherwise E* will allow you to return it for a programming credit, which I believe has dropped to $10 from $25. It will probably be hard to sell it for anything. E* won't activate them anymore for second owners as HD sat. receivers, tho' they could still be used as HD OTA receivers if connected to a dish that can "see" a satellite. (I think you don't even have to sub., just have the right equipment installed.)

The discounts will likely be around for a while yet as E* encourages everyone with older equipment to get it upgraded/turned-in. Ask a CSR what the current options/plans are. (You might get a better answer through tech serrvice.) I'm holding-out on swapping my 811 until the upgrade to a leased 211 is no-cost.

Add another $5 to your monthly estimate if you can't/don't keep a phone line constantly connected to the 622.

Once the warranty is up you will be on the hook for some replacement fee, just like with any other kind of lease (e.g., car). The DHPP will offset some or all of that cost, and you can apparently add/drop that plan at any time. Verify the replacement cost with a CSR.

In terms of E* vs. the local dealer/installer, call both and compare the offers. In general I'm in favor of supporting the local guy, but not if they can't offer essentially the same package/price. If they don't, tell the dealer what E* has offered you and see if they can match it.

To get the current full HD offering you will need a new or additional dish. The D1000 is used in most of the country for 110/119/129 satellites, but some areas (NE, and south FL) can't "see" 129 so in those areas one dish (D500 is adequate) points to 110/119 and a second one (D300 or D500) is used for 61.5. You'll get the same programming either way. Even in areas where 129 is available some subs. have opted for 61.5 as it generally has a more dependable/stronger signal vs. 129. Again, YMMV.

Your installation will probably include an upgrade of the primary LNB to the Dish Pro Plus Twin in addition to the DP you currently have. The DP LNB will feed into the twin's input port and the twin does the switching between the 3. Then one cable from the twin to the 622 is adequate. At the receiver it is split to both tuner inputs via the "separator" that comes with the 622. If you later add another receiver then the twin has a second output for that, so another cable will be all you need. The installer will handle all of the routine upgrade without extra cost to you. Wall fishes, etc. might be extra.

Hope I answered everything except the program offers. (Those change so often and are so complex depending on what you already have and what you're upgrading to that I have stopped trying to comment...!)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts