811 vs. 622 OTA signals strengths????

Jimmy J

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
Wallingford, VT.
Just wondering for those who've had the 811 previously and now have the 622, or 211...or those that currently have both, or any combination thereof...

What were your OTA signal strengths with the 811 vs. the 622, 211??? Better, worse??

Just wondering for those who've had the 811 previously and now have the 622, or 211...or those that currently have both, or any combination thereof...

What were your OTA signal strengths with the 811 vs. the 622, 211??? Better, worse??

I have one of each. The 811 seems to be very consistent in it's signal, but the 622 is all over the place - seems to "lose" signal info.

Example, I'll be on ABC with a reading 89%, then I'll switch channels and come back and it'll be 76%, then back to 92% later, etc. I don't rely on my 622 to accurately report signal strength.

I agree qualitatively that the 622 is less capable than the 811. I still have both. My OTA reception is marginal at best. Sometimes I use my 811 to "fine tune" the signal before I switch it over to the 622. The 622 seems to be less capable of performing that function. In fairness I don't have the units co-located for a real side-by-side comparison.

Another revelation - the tuner in my Sony TV is demonstrably superior to both the 811 and 622 in terms of reduced drop-outs and pixelation. So for the most part, I just use that tuner in real time and don't worry about not having the DVR functions...

Does anyone know what generation OTA chipsets are being used in E*'s current receiver lineup? And what is possibly in each?

Such as....

811 3rd gen OTA chipset???
622 4th gen OTA chipset???

I know that the latest displays with built in tuners are 5th gen chipset. Somehow, I doubt that E* is using the latest 5th gen chipsets for their OTA tuners.

I currently have a 622, 811 and 211. I originally had my 811 in the family room but moved it to the bedroom and replaced it with the 211. Same antenna and I noticed that with the 211, it dropped the signal a lot more frequently than with the 811.

It took me a bit to get the 622 to get all OTA channels without drop outs but now it's perfect.

I hope I didn't give the wrong impression. The signal on both of my receivers is rock-solid for the most part. It's just the information about the signal on the 622 that seems to go out of whack.

I was simply suggesting not to rely on that meter to get an accurate reading of what's happening.

Does anyone know what generation OTA chipsets are being used in E*'s current receiver lineup? And what is possibly in each?

Such as....

811 3rd gen OTA chipset???
622 4th gen OTA chipset???

I know that the latest displays with built in tuners are 5th gen chipset. Somehow, I doubt that E* is using the latest 5th gen chipsets for their OTA tuners.
Based on when it was introduced, I'd say 2nd or 3rd gen.

I just picked up a new Samsung ATSC tuner. OMG. It locks even the weakest signals instantaneously. I wish I had stopped f*ing with the 811 much sooner. The Samsung is using the 5th gen chipset.

I just picked up a new Samsung ATSC tuner. OMG. It locks even the weakest signals instantaneously. I wish I had stopped f*ing with the 811 much sooner. The Samsung is using the 5th gen chipset.

Yeah I heard they're pretty good. How did you incorporate it into your setup? I also heard that 6th gen. chipsets aren't far off!

If you don't mind my asking, how much and what kind of outputs does it have?

I have an 811 in storage and a 622 and 942 currently hooked up. I really only have 2 OTA digital stations and they both lock on all 3 receivers.

However there are a few fringe stations that used to register mid 50s / low 60s with the 811. I even got a brief lock on them a couple of times but with the 622 and 942 you wouldn't even know those stations existed.

Of course everyone here knows my opinion - that Dish doesn't really want you getting digital OTA anyway - especially in areas where they have HD LiLs. Most OTA HD blows Dish away for PQ.

I'm betting the more HD LiLs Dish launches, the more problems you're going to see with their OTA tuners. Either that or they will incorporate a separate OTA HD "enabling" fee.

If you don't mind my asking, how much and what kind of outputs does it have?

I have an 811 in storage and a 622 and 942 currently hooked up. I really only have 2 OTA digital stations and they both lock on all 3 receivers.

However there are a few fringe stations that used to register mid 50s / low 60s with the 811. I even got a brief lock on them a couple of times but with the 622 and 942 you wouldn't even know those stations existed.

Of course everyone here knows my opinion - that Dish doesn't really want you getting digital OTA anyway - especially in areas where they have HD LiLs. Most OTA HD blows Dish away for PQ.

I'm betting the more HD LiLs Dish launches, the more problems you're going to see with their OTA tuners. Either that or they will incorporate a separate OTA HD "enabling" fee.

Hey Walt,

Head to your nearest BestBuy or CC. You can pick up a Sammy for about $180. I'm thinking of picking one up just to test it out for a side by side comparison of it vs. the 811 in locking on to those weak signals.

click the link to see:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8102796&st=terrestrail+receiver&type=product&id=1161734592183

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)