811 widescreen and DVD Recorders

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Assuming you are talking about an NTSC DVR......Yes, the 811 will output NTSC (SD) video which can be recorded. Various screen format options are available from the SD outputs, including letterbox. But keep in mind that SD is still SD.

ride525 said:
Will the 811 output widescreen 16:9 pictures to record on a DVD recorder? I was thinking of getting a Panasonic E-95)

Thanks
I have the 811 and the E95, and no you won't be able to make widescreen recordings. My understanding is the 811 does not flag 16:9 material on the S-video output, so you will end up with your widescreen TV displaying bars on the sides, and the picture will be letterboxed within the 4:3 window. I have to use my TV's zoom mode to get the picture to fill the screen, which degrades the picture quality somewhat. It's very disappointing.

You can test this out yourself by hooking up your 811 to your widescreen TV with an S-video cable if you want to see what your results will look like.

redline65 said:
I have the 811 and the E95, and no you won't be able to make widescreen recordings.
How do you define "widescreen recordings"?

..the 811 does not flag 16:9 material on the S-video output
I have no idea what you mean by this. How does the term "flag 16:9 material" apply to NTSC video?

... so you will end up with your widescreen TV displaying bars on the sides
This is a function of how your widescreen TV displays NTSC signals.

... and the picture will be letterboxed within the 4:3 window.
This is the only way 16:9 material can be shown with NTSC.

You can test this out yourself by hooking up your 811 to your widescreen TV with an S-video cable if you want to see what your results will look like.
Yep.

I was told in this thread that the 811 does not output anamorphic widescreen on the S-video outputs, but D* HD boxes do output anamorphic widescreen on S-video. I have no way to confirm this. Someone suggested try setting the output to 480i and 16X9, but I haven't tried it.

The 811 will output a 16X9 letterbox image of a digital broadcast via s-video to your DVDR, but it is in a 4X3 window. No combination of settings will change that, which is truly unfortunate. I'm recorded HD that way and zoomed up the image during replay on my wide screen Sammy DLP. It is watchable, but it is no better than what the average SD PQ looks like from E* with an 811.

redline65 said:
I was told ...that the 811 does not output anamorphic widescreen on the S-video outputs
Ah, key word "anamorphic". No, the 811 will not output an anamorphic signal on S-video. Now I understand what you are trying to do - basically record an NTSC picture on a DVD, then play it back in anamorphic mode via a component video connection on a monitor that will recompress/squeeze the raster back to its original proportion. The percentage of the population that even understands this is about 0.001%. I suspect that if some D* boxes support it, it's only by accident. The D* boxes I've tested have the most bizzare set of distorted aspect ratio options I've ever seen. More on that here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)