811 with front projector

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
1. How hard would it be, or is it possible to shrink the picture size down to a viewable size when watching SD TV?
When I watch SD programming the image fills the screen vertically with just the black bars on the sides. I do not have to make any adjustments.

As I posted earlier, SD from either my 811 or 501 looks great. I guess I am one of the lucky ones that don't suffer from the dark video problem.
2. I see various projecters advertised but haven't seen any screens. Where does one go to find a screen and what do they typically cost?
I have a fixed screen. Permanently mounted. See the Da-Lite link for some ideas of what and how much. There are many screen manufacturers, I'm only familiar with Da-Lite. Mine was about $1,600 http://www.da-lite.com/

www.projectorcentral.com has info on screens and reviews too.

DLP vs LCD is a discussion that will go on forever, like 1080i vs 720p. Buy what looks good to you :)
In general, I recommend Sanyo LCD projectors, as well as Panasonic, higher-end Sony, and Epson. I do not recommend InFocus for their lesser quality and reliability, in my experience.
I have not found that to be true, you have had a bad InFocus ?? My experience is with the Toshiba but its is the same unit as the InFocus 7200. It was rated very highly by www.projectorcentral.com and is still on their highly recommended list ($5,000-$7,000). Although now there are newer generation units with the HD2+ chip. Also new LCD units too.

Both technologies will continue to improve but you have to jump in somewhere :) Read all the reviews you can find and go look. Many A/V stores have projector demo rooms now.

www.projectorcentral.com is a very good place for reviews and info if you are interested in projectors.

Bottom line: My 811 performs exceptionally well with my projector on DVI or component. I don't have s-video hooked up, I don't care about black bars and stretching :) No need with a projector.

DiscoveryHD, HDNet and PBS OTA are great. ESPN HD is also great when they have HD coverage. HDNet Movie channel is good. TNT HD movies seem to be badly converted (if that is the term to use).

Sorry for the ramble but I'm really enjoying my HT and like to share. If you have the room and controlled lighting then a projector may be for you. As far as the 811 goes, I'd sure like to see the OTA integrated into the guide better. And Dish, MORE QUALITY HD PLEASE. :)

Lee

Video contains Gray scale. When showing video the blacks will be much better shown on a screen designed for video.

Stargazer said:
The type of projector I would be looking for needs to have good SD quality, good quality coming from a computer so that I can read the text and so forth which would be about as good as webtv or viewing it on a computer screen, and hopefully to where I can see it in a room with a little bit of light although I could shade a lot of it out with blinds.
Infocus has or had a 10 day trial period, check out avsforum for more info. I had to go 150 miles to get mine(El Paso) so I just bought it and have been pleased. I do a little surfing the net with my htpc and the x1 , you just have to adjust text size.

LeeS said:
I have a fixed screen. Permanently mounted. See the Da-Lite link for some ideas of what and how much. There are many screen manufacturers, I'm only familiar with Da-Lite. Mine was about $1,600 http://www.da-lite.com/
Excellent screen and ceiling mount prices are also available from www.mountsandmore.com.
DLP vs LCD is a discussion that will go on forever, like 1080i vs 720p. Buy what looks good to you :)
Cheap DLP's ($1000 range) generally don't look as good as similar priced LCD.
I have not found that to be true, you have had a bad InFocus ??
I have had many bad InFocus pj's. I deal with pj's on a daily basis, perhaps hundreds of different models over the years. InFocus are without a doubt the worst quality of all the major brands. I would never buy one myself.

Does Circuit City have a satisfaction guarantee on their projectors as they do with their other electronic merchandise (I believe it is a 30 day return policy)?

I have had many bad InFocus pj's. I deal with pj's on a daily basis, perhaps hundreds of different models over the years. InFocus are without a doubt the worst quality of all the major brands. I would never buy one myself.
OoooKaaay, guess I got lucky and got the only good one made :)

They're like anything. You may never have a problem with your InFocus machines, similar to how many people never have a problem with RCA/Thomson products. I'm sure yours are OK.

All I can do is offer my experience with, and state my opinions based on, quite a few years of dealing with a plethora of LCD projectors on a daily basis, as major part of what I do for a living.

BTW, The problems I've seen have never been out of the box. They are generally caused by the early failure of some significant internal part of the pj.

Bottom line: I would definitely pick a Sanyo over an InFocus, in a heartbeat.

My first dvd player was an RCA, it really sucked. The reliabiliy of all electronics seems to be hit or miss, I have had no problems with my 6000u nor my 501(2700 also)and a lot of folks had many with them when they were new gonna get an 811 for my pj room soon and I hope my luck holds out. :)

GaryPen,

No offense meant or taken :)

Do you have experience with new generation HT (HD) projectors in general and specifically on DLP?

Is cleaning the color wheels an issue, necessary? Is is a preventive maintenance thing that should be done yearly or so?

I've read posts on different forums and most of the negative comments come from people with LCD and CRT projectors and seem to have an axe to grind with DLP machines regardless of brand.

I did do something I rarely if ever do, got an extended warranty. The projectors are like 25 pounds of xxxx stuffed into a 10 pound box. I hate the thought of someday having a not quite so experienced tech digging into the projector.

Thanks,
Lee

JimMcC, sorry I strayed off your subject a little.

LeeS said:
GaryPen,

No offense meant or taken :)

Do you have experience with new generation HT (HD) projectors in general and specifically on DLP?
My opinions on quality are based on many years of mostly business projector use and operation. However, I would definitely assume that a manufacturer's overall quality would be the same regardless of use or type.
Is cleaning the color wheels an issue, necessary? Is is a preventive maintenance thing that should be done yearly or so?
I have no idea. I would imagine that the interior workings of a DLP pj would be quite complex and delicate, and would not recommend the average end-user venture inside.
I've read posts on different forums and most of the negative comments come from people with LCD and CRT projectors and seem to have an axe to grind with DLP machines regardless of brand.
I have no axe to grind. These things are products, machines, THINGS. Whichever works best for me, and provides the most value, gets my $$$.

I have no problem with DLP in general, only the cheap ones. The DLP technology is weak when skimped on. OTOH, the more expensive ones look friggin great for motion video. I just prefer LCD for cheaper models, and/or when very bright images are required.

In any case, front projectors of any type (even old RGB models) are still the best displays for home theater use, compared to direct view or rp.

Wasn't it absolutely thrilling the first time you fired yours up?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts