8300 HD DVR won't record :(

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sazkin

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2005
I got the SA8300HD DVR when I installed TWC a couple of weeks ago. Today, for the first time I decided to try out the DVR and record a show on HBO. Well, I go to the Guide, select the show (that was going to start in a few hours), and hit the Record button. It displays the following message:

"Insufficient space to record this show."

It gives options to erase recorded shows. I select that option (in case whoever had this DVR before me had filled up the drive) and there are no recorded shows listed on there.

Has anyone had this issue? This HD DVR has a 160GB hard drive, good enough for 20 hours of HD recording. I will be contacting their tech support tomorrow.

Cheers.

Sounds like a problem with your box or its hard drive. Call tech support. Perhaps you need to reformat the disk or something.

What happens if you press "Pause" during any show? Does it work? Does the rewind button work?

Ilya said:
Sounds like a problem with your box or its hard drive. Call tech support. Perhaps you need to reformat the disk or something.

What happens if you press "Pause" during any show? Does it work? Does the rewind button work?

Hi Ilya,

Well, now the box just won't start. After my initial post, I decided to do a hard reboot on the box. So I shut it off, and shut off the surge protector, and then restarted everything back again. It gets to the point where the clock displays on the box (the same display when the box is idle). I then hit the power button on the remote, but the clock display goes off and only the power sign is on the display.

Normally, when the box is idle it displays only the clock and after hitting the power button on the remote, it turns on and displays the channels.

I have never used the pause, rewind or any other feature on the DVR until tonight. Tried rebooting a couple more times but with the same result.

Guess it is a bad box or something. I'll call tech support tomorrow. Bleh!

I'll watch some DVDs instead tonight.

Cheers.

Great! I'm sitting on my couch pondering what DVD to watch and I hear a noise coming out the HD DVR. It turns itself on (it was only displaying the power sign in the display, no clock) - the clock display is back on. So I hit the Power button and it displays 222 channel on the display.

I go to the HBO channel and hit the record button and it works now!

Weird! Its like it needed a reboot and took it forever to get rebooted...I would say about 20 mins. Whew!

Cheers.

Glad it works now! I would still call tech support and request a box replacement if I were you...

I Just got off the Phone with a REP from Scientific Atlanta, about my 8300HD.. I was wondering why my HDMI,Firewire(1394 Output) and the SATA out put was not working .. Roberta From SA told me that they DO work on all boxes, B U T it is the Cable company that blocks them... YOU have to ASK the CABLE COMPANY to send you a software up grade!!!!!! Well I have a TWC guy coming by in the next few hours.. I will let you all know what they say....

Sazkin: Get the box replaced. Around here, you can take them to any office and just ask for a replacement. If they hesitate, tell them it doesn't record... That *should* be a good enough reason. :)

Dog6869: Not sure what a TW guy coming to your house will accomplish. I assure you without a doubt, he will NOT do a software update. The guy from SA was talking out of both sides of his mouth too... On a hardware level, sure, everything's enabled. The boxes require software though and it's here, including SA's own version of software (SARA) where it's often not enabled (yet). Most TW areas use Pioneer's "Passport Echo" software. You should see this when you reboot the box.

hall said:
Sazkin: Get the box replaced. Around here, you can take them to any office and just ask for a replacement. If they hesitate, tell them it doesn't record... That *should* be a good enough reason. :)

Dog6869: Not sure what a TW guy coming to your house will accomplish. I assure you without a doubt, he will NOT do a software update. The guy from SA was talking out of both sides of his mouth too... On a hardware level, sure, everything's enabled. The boxes require software though and it's here, including SA's own version of software (SARA) where it's often not enabled (yet). Most TW areas use Pioneer's "Passport Echo" software. You should see this when you reboot the box.
The reson that the TWC rep is stopping by becuase I am not getting all HD channels

Whoa!

hall said:

I completely agree. I called them (a looong time ago) about the DVI port on the 8100, and they wanted to send someone out. I refused that service, as it would accomplish nothing except for wasting my time. However odd this may sound though, (in some *extremely small* defense of the cable company) they do have to be very careful about which ports are active or not, and how communications through said ports are handled. You can thank the MPAA and RIAA for that. Those two agencies are extremely anti recording of anything, much less being able to transfer or store any of their copyrighted material outside of the box. It's a picky situation, which they've thrust the consumer right in the middle of. They assume EVERY consumer to be a thief. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)