87W off the side of a DTV slim line dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stvcmty

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Mar 29, 2013
Baldwin MD
I have DBS from DTV. The installer put a slim line dish with a SL3 –SWM LNB on the roof. The SL3 sees ku on 101, and ka on 99 and 103. DTV has the SL5 which also gets ku on 110 and 119. That makes me think the slim line reflector can cover a bunch of the arc. So, there is a dish on my roof, and I wondered if I could get more out of it. If I added an adjustable mount, could I get a usable signal for 87W, for example? I would use a linear LNBF and bring in the signal on a separate coax completely independent of the DTV stuff. I know DBS signals are stronger than FTA signals, so even if the slim line is not collecting much signal from the 119 position, what it is collecting is enough; that might not be true if the 119 signals were at FTA levels. The slim line reflector produces the most gain at its center, so as aimed for DTV, 101W. For DBS it works out to 119W, or 18 degrees off axis. Would it have enough gain 14 degrees off axis (101 – 87) to get a FTA signal?

First, be advised, I have not used that dish for FTA, but being designed for their 3 sat service, and being on the 'small side' of what's advised for FTA - -
Possibly 'get signal' but probably not usable. At least don't think it would be dependable. (IMHO)
"DBS signals are (a lot) stronger than FTA signals"
A 'stab' at it wouldn't be that expensive so trying it is within reason. But being on the roof, getting a receiver and television, yourself, electricity and tools up there, may present a problem if not a safety concern...
Better would be to test it on the same model dish, but on ground level. Convert one to FTA and aim the 'prime' LNBF at 101W . Then move the LNBF to receive 87W and measure your clearance to the center LNBF. See if the SWM allows it on their dish. Then maybe 'go for it'.

Oh, wait, if 87 LPB is what you're after, be advised, it's a weak signal and quite unreliable on my 30 inch Channel Master offset dish. Heavy clouds will make it pixelate and drop out completely in a light rain.
125W requires a 1.2m dish, now ,to 'get it all' here.

I tried 87w Ku on my Slimline dish and it was like FatAir said, not very reliable. Right now I have it sitting on 95w and it works fine for that, 121w and 97w on the Slimline has worked fine for me too, haven't tried any other sats on the Slimline yet.

If you do try it, you might not have to get an adjustable mount for it, look at what's on it first before you buy anything. Mine has a really nice factory adjustable mount on it, I don't know if they all do though.

For newbies the slimline is not the greatest even though I worked with it before. 87w is hard to get from 101w I am using a 4 footer farther you get from center of the dish weaker the signal especially dvbs 2. I have lpb at 10 percent quality but the mta mux is at 73 quality. Try a motor or best bet for you is a second dish on thd ground 3 to 4 feet off of the ground.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)