89W PBS?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blindowl1234

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
SouthWest Ohio
Last night I was searching for any regular channels that I may have missed with the Sathawk. Does anyone get the Nebraska PBS on 89W? I get the H....vision with no problem....just not getting the other PBS on that bird. Perhaps they're real weak here. Thanks for any info....Blind

Last night I was searching for any regular channels that I may have missed with the Sathawk. Does anyone get the Nebraska PBS on 89W? I get the H....vision with no problem....just not getting the other PBS on that bird. Perhaps they're real weak here. Thanks for any info....Blind

NET uses 2 transponders on that sat. One of these transponders has had the whole collection of channels in DCII mode. I can't remember exactly how many channels, but an HD channel, and a couple SD channels in a variety of formats (ie letterbox or plain), and Create, etc, and some channels they use for education. This hasn't changed.
The 2nd transponder has been used for DVB FTA transmissions. However this transponder has been used with at least 4 different SR values, and has had different content from time to time. For a while, this mux had virtually all the transponders found on the DCII transponder, but then, starting back with Olympic trials about 3 years ago, they started using this transponder for sending HD sporting events, and the channel was eventually named HuskerVision. For a while they used it for Univ of Nebraska sporting events and then would switch back to the multichannel mux when there weren't sporting events. But recently, they have been pretty much just the single Huskervision channel with either sporting events or the main NET PBS feed (at higher bitrate than the source PBS feed), although I've also seen their low SR SD feed up occasionally. I haven't seen the multi channel mux up for quite a while.
But basically, if you see Huskervision, the only other channels you'll find are the DCII channels. If the Huskervision ISN'T up, then you might find one of the other muxes up. I keep all 4 DVB SRs in my computer so I can quickly find whatever they have up.

The DVB one seems to switch between 4444 symbol rate (the SD only feed) and the HD feed which is around 26500 symbol rate

The DVB one seems to switch between 4444 symbol rate (the SD only feed) and the HD feed which is around 26500 symbol rate

I've seen the 4444 SR occasionally, and recently. However, I've never seen the 26500 SR. I'll have to write that down, in case I can't tune it some day.
Generally, the Huskervision HD feed is usually 29270, and when that multi channel mux is on, it was 25319, and it contained an HD channel in addition to the SD channels. I also have seen NET use 29300 on that transponder, but only once. Not sure why they change SR so much.

Thats what I meant BJ in regards to the HD channel and the symbol rate....

I've only seen this one and 4444

OK. I haven't seen the 25319 multi-channel thing up for quite a while, but it may depend on when you look. For a while, last fall during football season, they'd have the 29270 single HD channel Huskervision thing up on the weekends, then switch back to the 25319 signal around Monday, and stay on that SR until the weekend. But it seems like lately they're just staying on the 29270 most of the time. Only time recently when I didn't see that up was when they switched to the 4444 thing for a while.... I think they were doing some kind of special olympics or something, about a month ago.
I am still amazed at the bitrate on the HD channel on that Huskervision. It's on 29270 now, showing NET1 HD, and the video bitrate is 39 Mbps, about twice the bitrate of the AMC-21 HD feeds. I realize that it can't have more info than the source, but it seems like they could have 2 HD feeds or the HD and some SD channels. Seems like a waste of space, except when they're putting up one of their own sports feeds.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)