8PSK Conversion Update as of 6/9/15

The following Channel changes are associated with the QPSK to 8PSK upgrade, channels will be converted to 8PSK, those accounts that still have QPSK model receivers can temporarily tune to the interim 4 digit channel in the 6000 range to receive programming, but receivers must be upgraded to 8PSK by July 15 or programming will be lost. Receivers already upgraded to 8PSK can continue to receive programming on the current channel.

Many channels will not be dual illuminated, it is hoped that by moving the above channels it will get people to upgrade their equipment to 8PSK compatible by then.

Here is the list of the expected conversion dates to full 8PSK for the following channels (again only on 110 / 119)

July 15
NOTAX, SUND, FUSE, WN, EPIX3, OUTSD, PRST, SEC, BEINE, AACSD, WNATT, WNATI, MALL ALIVE, MARKT, NEWSX, RCTV, HSN2, GEMS, QVC+, REAL, YOUTV, ORDER, CNTRO, DPRMO, LTD8, FSTV, LINK, ATOOL, IAD4, IAD5, DISH, D500, FETV, SPRNG,

Curious is this actually happened yesterday. I would have thought that there would have been something in the uplink report referring to those channels, or at least the temporary 6000 channels being taken down. I am guessing no one here has a QPSK receiver that can check to see if they still have access to a couple of these specific channels?

What channels do u guys want checked my grad parents are getting there recovers upgraded from the old non supported recovers this day I can go over tonight or more likely tomorrow and

On the condition that at (I thought at 15 years period, but I can't remember exactly so life of Sat may be the case) the end--of 15 year period or sat--the slot MUST be used for Canadian services/uses. That was the demand of the Canadian Govt. FCC went along only because Canadians were OK with it. Does anyone know if this--the condition--changed? If so, let us all know.

Satellite has always moved faster to next gen tech than even the MSOs because DBS has more limited bandwidth. But times are a changin' and Dish may be re-evaluating if they even ever want to reclaim capacity at 129 using HEVC or other means (Tweener slots?) for all channels IF it makes economic sense in the years to come. By then, maybe SlingTV will have evolved and become the core for Dish's TV services.
Do you have a link for documentation, I didn't find anything that said that. Not saying it isn't so, but I couldn't find any documentation to that effect.
They have 9 years left a MPEG4 or other conversion can be implemented before then, if that is the case.
Neither of the Canadian DBS companies seem to need that slot, so I wouldn't doubt that another lease for the slot could be negotiated between now and then.

Curious is this actually happened yesterday. I would have thought that there would have been something in the uplink report referring to those channels, or at least the temporary 6000 channels being taken down. I am guessing no one here has a QPSK receiver that can check to see if they still have access to a couple of these specific channels?
Wasn't Newsmax on the list of channels that was supposed to be converted to 8PSK on July 15? I am still getting Newsmax on my 501. I am not complaining, just wondering what is going on?

If you have questions about any other channels being converted, just let me know and I can check for you. Note: my 501 is deactivated except for free previews, so I do not get the "dual-illuminated" channels in the 6900s.

Do you have a link for documentation, I didn't find anything that said that. Not saying it isn't so, but I couldn't find any documentation to that effect.
They have 9 years left a MPEG4 or other conversion can be implemented before then, if that is the case.
Neither of the Canadian DBS companies seem to need that slot, so I wouldn't doubt that another lease for the slot could be negotiated between now and then.
Sorry I do not have a link. I remember reading this in a Canadian publication on-line with quotes from and pictures of Ciel execs and Canadian Govt. people well before the launch of Ciel-2. The crux of the story was that the deal between Dish and Ciel was very controversial among Canadian members of parliament. Canadian politicians are anti-US to a fair degree; they have their reasons. Some Canadian politicians were vehemently against the Dish/Ceil deal because it would not serve Canadians as they were told it was going to be use for Canadian services for Canada, but would serve USA, as so much of everything in Canada gets "sullied" by USA--their thinking, not mine . However, Ciel was successful in persuading the powers that be that it was a good business deal for Ciel--a CANADIAN company--that it would be making quite a bit of money, MORE money by leasing the sat, and, I believe, the slot than they would serving Canadian demand, which was not very much compared to the US who desperately needed the bandwidth. The only way the opponents were, finally, persuaded to go along was the PROMISE that at the end of--and I think this is at the end the 15 year period lease--not the sat life itself, 129W must CEASE USA operations and revert to Canadian uses--ONLY! While Ciel-2 was made to Dish needs (ConUS and soptbeams), it most likely also has the ability to serve Canada with at least one national beam should that become necessary. I don't think Dish ever saw 129 as more than a temporary situation. By the time the lease ends, we could be looking at tweener sats (reverse band) HEVC,the next MPEG, or Broadcom's compression encoding, or even LESS satellite and more Internet and even SlingTV. It is hard to say what the future of DBS is at this time.

Now, has that since been changed? That is what I was asking if anyone knew. Can that requirement be changed? Sure, if the govt. of Canada wants to, and seeing as there are some years yet before the lease ends, the Canadian govt. might extend the use by USA at 129 as it sees fit, if it also fits Ciel's business strategy as they will push for any changes. So, while not written in stone, given the temper and attitude a lot of Canadian politicians love to despise the USA, it would be very tough to change the terms.

Last edited:
I am confident, if Dish/EchoStar needs that 129 slot in 2023-24 that enough pockets in Ottawa and Washington can be padded to get it. Also, looks like Ceil is partially owned by SES according to their website, it mentions that SES is a "shareholder" so I wouldn't doubt that it is just a shell for SES to get their hands on that DBS slot.

I am confident, if Dish/EchoStar needs that 129 slot in 2023-24 that enough pockets in Ottawa and Washington can be padded to get it. Also, looks like Ceil is partially owned by SES according to their website, it mentions that SES is a "shareholder" so I wouldn't doubt that it is just a shell for SES to get their hands on that DBS slot.
None the less the Canadian Govt., just like the FCC, chooses the winners and losers. One underestimates the Canadian Govt. and it people's desire to see their resources being used for their means at one's peril; it's something of a "USA infiltrates Canada" sort of mindset that is hard for people in this country to wrap their heads around, and their are plenty of politicians in Canada who can't be bought off on this sort of subject because "standing up" to the USA is GOOD for their political careers. Thankfully, I don't think Charlie Ergen is foolish enough to rely on your confidence for anything. :).

Wasn't Newsmax on the list of channels that was supposed to be converted to 8PSK on July 15? I am still getting Newsmax on my 501. I am not complaining, just wondering what is going on?

If you have questions about any other channels being converted, just let me know and I can check for you. Note: my 501 is deactivated except for free previews, so I do not get the "dual-illuminated" channels in the 6900s.
Wasn't AXS on the list of channels that was supposed to be converted to 8PSK on July 22? I am still getting AXS on my 501. Going through the guide, it looks like none of the other channels were converted, either. I am still not complaining, just wondering what happened?

Reactions: mechanicman
Wasn't AXS on the list of channels that was supposed to be converted to 8PSK on July 22? I am still getting AXS on my 501. Going through the guide, it looks like none of the other channels were converted, either. I am still not complaining, just wondering what happened?
metoo i thought there was suppose to be a list of channels that were going to be convertted to 8psk?

Actually according to Dish filings: http://dish.client.shareholder.com/secfiling.cfm?filingID=1104659-15-38182

Dish's lease is up January 2019.....

Estimated.jpg

July 22
THTRE, MOVIE, INDEP, DRMT4, HOME, FOXB, CCNEW, FSC+. SPORT, ORDER, NTEL, IAD11, IAD12, IAD1, ETC10, FTSYC, FTSYP, TRIGC, SBCVC, VWTP1, VWTP2, NFLRZ, NBATV, ID, AMERI, ZLVNG, ANGL2, CTN, SONY, GOLF, BIG10, UNVSO, TVEI, DSCE, DSFAM, TFMLA, TLHIT, ANGL2, SONY, ULTRA, MOVIE, DRMT3, DRMt5, DRMT9, ECLAS, BEIN, SPMAN, PRIME, SPSOU, CSNCA, SPORT, ONPPV, PSNES, CBBIS, NGMDO, TR3S, MLB, PCSLT, GAMES, PREVW, LMN, AXS, NOTAX, BITV, JTV, KTV, LC, SPORT, ANT3, RTLR, LTD5, DISH, IADM, TGTP, TPSS, ACTVT, GAC, DISCF, TNICK, HLMRK, NTGEO, ESQNT, SCI, FXX, BABY1, BABY, TMDOW, UFORO, FXDEP, CNNES, CINEL, LTD4, DISH, H2, HMM, PIVOT, CHILR, ALJAM, UNIME, UNIMW, ESUSP, EBLK, AZTCA, UNVSW, HITN, PELIC, PCLAS, UDEP, IAD13, IAD3, TEST1, TEST2, TEST3, AZTCA, KFUG, DLSV, DIY, COOK, FYI, CNSSN, TOONW, NATGW, AHC, WHT, MAX-L, EACTN, TENIS, TMNDO, HISTE, ESPND, CCTVE, BYUTV, CBSSN, TMNDO, BYUTV, NHLN, BOOM, NICKT, UP, HBOCY, ACMAX, 5-MAX, SBYND, ENCRW, EWSTN, STRZW, STZC, FXM, FOXS2, SPORT, NHLN, WAPAA, ESPNA, MASN2, ALT, SPORT, NHLA, MLBNA, NBA, NHL, ALT10, ALT12, ALTSC, MLB, PCSLT, SKDL, ETC3, NUDE, CHEAP, PLBYE, PLBY, ASHOW, GIRLS, VIVID, BRAZZ, TEN, RKTV, HUSLR, XTSY, ASHOW.
Is there any update about this? It does not look like any of these channels have been converted yet.

I should have a big update to this on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Hopefully the update is something to the effect of Dish bringing the hammer down and converting all the Western Arc to 8PSK in one uplink! After all, the warning cards went out almost a year ago, the deadline was May 31st and have been playing a little bit each week during the summer.

There has been a schedule change for the full conversion of the 110 and 119 transponders.

On August 6 all 110 Transponders will convert to 8PSK.
On August 20 all 119 Transponder will convert to 8PSK.

Also, Transponder 16 on 110 and Transponder 14 on 110 will remain QPSK temporarily to support the Welcome Pack for Seasonal properties.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)