8PSK Usb adapter? Anyone use it with tsreader?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I seen on their website that the latest firmware allso supports DGII Id love to know if it can tune the true fta DGII channels ! that would be awesome. probably ku only though.

Yes, I developed the DVBTech one. If you have any questions let me know.

It will tune all FTA DCII feeds. They have to be true zero key though. There are some fixed key DCII channels that are free on a previously subbed 4dtv stb, but they still have a fixed key encryption, thus not available through a pc based tuner.

I recently built a box to house the module, the 8psk adapter, and a power supply. Its sort of an "all in one" solution if you dont want to gather the parts up.

Do a search for 8psk in the fta dvb forum, I did a write up last year about it.

I have the DVBTech adapter and it works great with TSReader. As for the device being used for purposes other than it was possibly intended, the same can be said for all satellite cards and most FTA receivers.

Last edited:
It will tune all FTA DCII feeds. They have to be true zero key though. There are some fixed key DCII channels that are free on a previously subbed 4dtv stb, but they still have a fixed key encryption, thus not available through a pc based tuner.

thanks for the clarification, this is what I was wondering.

As for the device being used for purposes other than it was possibly intended, the same can be said for all satellite cards and most FTA receivers.
Well what got me thinking was captiveworks is annoucning a 3000 series HD FTA PVR receiver and if you ever peruse some of the questionable sites they mention that this receiver (the captiveworks) one will have the option of some hardware that will be able to handle dish HD and such That's what got me looking for what they would be talking about and I found device in the first post.

Edit: I'm not sure how they plan on marketing it however. Seems like a legal nightmare to even attempt to advertise the add-on for that purpose. I can't think of a legal way to market it (unlike the card readers for the coolsats)

Last edited:
I have a question. Does it produce enough power output to drive a motor? Or would it be better for it to be slaved to a regular stb?
grusome

I have a question. Does it produce enough power output to drive a motor? Or would it be better for it to be slaved to a regular stb?
grusome

I use the Genpix and love it...quite a bit of legit uses for it. DSS modulation tuning is nice too.

I have mine slaved behind my Fortec Ultra but use the USALS commands of TSReader to drive a motor with no problems.

The add-on is probably a chip to tune turbo 8psk. There is nothing illegal about that. The DVBTech adapter, 8psk module and TSReader can tune turbo 8psk signals and display FTA turbo 8psk signals. Including software or firmware that enables decryption of encrypted signals would be illegal.

I'm not saying it only has illegal uses. The whole setup was what intrigued me at first. Just don't want to spend the money on it at this time and I had see no reviews of anything like it in the FTA section.

I am just gonna be interested to see how captiveworks markets the add-on for the 3000 series receiver they say they are introducing at CES. Obviously, I know they won't come out and say it, but if you ONLY wanted it for legal means, that's one expensive FTA box (guessing $450 for the 3000, and maybe $200 for the add-on based on pricing on the pages for the adapter)

I'll swing by their booth and get specs on the captiveworks 3000. The only IC that made it to market that does turbo codes is the bcm4500.

As for a motor, the dvbtech adapter can output up to 550mA and will power a motor. I've tested it with a generic motor with mount on a 1m Ku dish.

Hokie, that would very cool if you could get some real specs on the CW300 box. on paper it looks pretty cool and for the price, very competitive.

For those that care and can't find it, here are some of the basics on the CW3000 that I have found.

• 3000 means 3.0ghz processor
  • Dual Tuner
  • HD FTA singals, but no mention of 4:2:2. Very vague on this part(this is where it was mentioned of an external adapter to tune in Dish stuff and then the conversation turned to stealing)
  • Hard Drive with Tivo like buffering setup (simialar to CW1000)
  • Built in DVD recorder
  • ethernet port (tivo like to copy recordings?) also to browse internet with options keyboard and mouse
  • IPTV capable

Edit. I did some looking and from what I can find, the processer os made my Via and I can't find where they make a 3ghz processor. So I don't know what the 3000 stands for other than just a model number.

Last edited:
Does the DVBTech adapter tune DSS signals? I've been using my Twinhan 1020a for that.

Not at this time, its on the todo list though. The tuner will tune dss, but there is a fpga on that 8psk module that doesnt send two control lines needed for dss. Genpix does dss by using a fpga of his own to count data bytes and generate his own sync bits.

I stopped by the Captiveworks booth at CES and they had a 3000 on display. Basically it is running a custom linux kernel on an AMD based PC. The DVB-S card installed was just a generic twinhan. I asked about availability of other tuners and they didn't have any plans to support others but seemed open to the idea.

They had recorded the Giants NFL playoff game from FOX (using atsc tuner). Playback was a bit choppy and they said it was a driver issue they were working on.

Was the box large? From the pic on the website, it looks like a small PC.

Spent some time at their CES booth and was impressed with the unit and capabilities.

It is a full size horizontal PC with a DVDRW and the 4 PCI slots can house multiple DVBS and ATSC cards. It also supports IPTV and P2P abilities and of course internet browsing. Many IPTV stations are preinstalled and can be sorted by content and types.

Very nice GUI with password accounts to allow access to various content. Captive works engineers have done a very nice job on the interface. The unit can be controlled by either a remote control or via a keyboard and mouse.

The unit is capable of receiving ATSC in SD and HD formats, DVBS and 4:2:2 using the Twinhan cards.

Thanks satAv, This box looks and sounds pretty impressive, I hope they can keep it at the price that is rumored ($400-$450).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts