9000 channel range - HBOFM 305 vs 9453

mfoster711

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
College Station, Tx
Why are the two listings for the same channel. Just as an example, HBOFM is on 305 and 9453. Is there any way to eliminate the extra listing in the 9000 range? Is there some benefit to having these double listings that I am overlooking? Is there some technical reason that Dish has to include them?

There are other threads as to why, short answer is so that everyone with a local channel 3 can just tune to channel 3, and not have to remember the satellite number which could be 5688 for their area. Think of Windows, and a file having a shortcut to a place you easily remember, like the desktop.....
It also allows Dish to group like channels, otherwise if you look at the high numbers there is no rhyme or reason.

This really doesn't answer the question. Why not just show the remappings and suppress the high numbers that have been remapped?

This really doesn't answer the question. Why not just show the remappings and suppress the high numbers that have been remapped?

On the 922 you can have it remove the duplicate SD channels from the listing (and I think the option is now available on the 622/722) via the settings. But the upper channel numbers still show.

Yep, you can hide the SD channels on the 622 also. Think of the mapdown channels as a pointer to another location in the database. I remember before they had mapdowns...it was a headache remembering the actual channel numbers. Channel 4 was something like 8411 or something like that. I had them all (mostly) memorized before they implemented the mapdowns...

The Original and Map downs are nice if you are using a dvr and want to record a three hour block of TV on the same channel.

Monday nights my dvr is set to record like this
8:pM Eureka 122
9:pM Warehouse 13 9432
10:pM Alphas 122

That way the 722 switches between TV1 & TV2 and records a four minute overrun making sure the end of the program is there.

The Original and Map downs are nice if you are using a dvr and want to record a three hour block of TV on the same channel.

Monday nights my dvr is set to record like this
8:pM Eureka 122
9:pM Warehouse 13 9432
10:pM Alphas 122

That way the 722 switches between TV1 & TV2 and records a four minute overrun making sure the end of the program is there.
Um, mine would do that (due to 2-minute overlaps on each end of the recording) even if all timers were set to the same channel (122). (Eureka TV1 122, Warehouse 13 TV2 122, Alphas TV1 122)

So how is that a benefit?

One case of where this would be a problem ... people with the OTA in a 722k/922 ... say something happens and the local feed of Fox or NBC were down ... those with OTA would be TSOL ... but by having the original 9000 series channel number, they can force the receiver to record from satellite.

One question in return would be why is having both numbers there a problem? The only time I've seen them come up is in a "search", otherwise is there a channel in the 9000 range that is something you go to? personally I stop at 400, go into 500's only when looking for a movie (not very often) and then there are the 6000's beyond that I've never found a reason to be in the 9000's.

If the reason to dislike having the duplicates is because they show up on search, then wanting to have options to limit the duplicates is something you'd want to fight for .. but not just to wipe out *all* duplicates ... just remember someone may have a use for them.

If the reason to dislike having the duplicates is because they show up on search, then wanting to have options to limit the duplicates is something you'd want to fight for .. but not just to wipe out *all* duplicates ... just remember someone may have a use for them.
Yes, when setting up a Dish Pass timer, the duplicated channels will show up in the timer list, and it will attempt to record the same show on both channels simultaneously, thus tying up both tuners and blocking out any other legitimate timers that overlap during that time. I constantly have to manually skip the timer on the 9000+ channel to make sure that another lower priority timer doesn't get missed.

I'm just curious why "someone may have a use for them" hasn't given me a good example why they are useful. I just gave a good example why they are detrimental.

Last edited:
Um, mine would do that (due to 2-minute overlaps on each end of the recording) even if all timers were set to the same channel (122). (Eureka TV1 122, Warehouse 13 TV2 122, Alphas TV1 122)

So how is that a benefit?

My DVR does not. If all on the same channel, the very end of the first program is recorded at the begining of the next, it doesn't change from TV2 to to TV1. Case in point "Pawn Stars." Usually back to back episodes. While both episodes record on TV2, I continue to watch TV1 never seeing any sign that TV2 is recording. So the benefit he stated is correct in my case also.

Yes, when setting up a Dish Pass timer, the duplicated channels will show up in the timer list, and it will attempt to record the same show on both channels simultaneously, thus tying up both tuners and blocking out any other legitimate timers that overlap during that time. I constantly have to manually skip the timer on the 9000+ channel to make sure that another lower priority timer doesn't get missed.

I'm just curious why "someone may have a use for them" hasn't given me a good example why they are useful. I just gave a good example why they are detrimental.

I am curious that yours does that. On the 612 I have not encountered a dish pass trying to record the same show at the same time on both the mapped down channel and the higher channel. Maybe because I use the favorites lists? Using the favorites list also ends seeing the higher channels - or any channel you choose for that matter.

PS - I just tried it, and doing a Dish Pass for Pawn Stars results in one recording for each show, never on the higher channel.

Last edited:
My DVR does not. If all on the same channel, the very end of the first program is recorded at the begining of the next, it doesn't change from TV2 to to TV1. Case in point "Pawn Stars." Usually back to back episodes. While both episodes record on TV2, I continue to watch TV1 never seeing any sign that TV2 is recording. So the benefit he stated is correct in my case also.
Which model do you have? Mine is still a 625. Mine considers back-to-back episodes on the same channel as overlaps, and the first one will record on one tuner and the 2nd will record on the other.

Nevermind, you answered my question in your previous post.

It's simple, just don't scroll that far in the guide. I hate specific duplicates (one's I can't mention, because I almost started a World Internet Nerd War the last time I brought it up). The only reason I usually go past PPV is to listen to Sirius. So just don't go looking that far up. And if you're looking for special interest channels, lock out the 9000s that you find to be repeats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts