91XG vs DB8?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kittyhas1000legs

That's a lot of claws!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Western Slope, CO
Good morning all,

I'm still working on my interference/weak(ish) signal issue. To summarize, I'm trying to get WGBY (RF22) out of Springfield, MA, and I'm in an apartment in New Britain, CT. I have an Antennas Direct DB8 on my balcony that works fairly well, but there's a decent amount of interference from my apartment that seems to be just enough to kill the signal. It seems to come from my computer that I use as the DVR. To deal with this, I've rigged up a 1M ku dish with a single bow-tie antenna aimed at Springfield with decent results. The channel doesn't cut out AS much, but is still iffy.

I was thinking of getting an Antennas Direct 91XG, which might hopefully solve the issue. According the manufacturer's website, it has higher maximum gain than the DB8. What I think I need to look at is the front-to-back ratio, which I hadn't heard of until starting my search last night. As I understand it, it's the antenna's ability to pick up a signal it's aimed at vs. something 180º behind. The 91XG is listed as having an FB ratio of 28dB, but the company doesn't list it for the DB8. The computer in my apartment is pretty much directly south of the antenna, with the antenna aimed almost due north.

Any thoughts/recommendations? I figure it might be worth the $65 on newegg, and I have premier so I can ship it back for free if need be.

If you are right that your computer is the source of interference it might be easier to shield the computer. Aluminum foil is cheap and will block RF radiation.

It's the media PC, so we use it fairly for DVDs or accessing the front USB ports. It also needs all the airflow it can get, or it can get pretty darn hot. The fiancee might also not approve, though the cats certainly would.

The 91XG is really long and is going to take up a lot more horizontal space on your balcony than the DB8, but it is very directional. Also, if you're getting any Hi-VHF channels with the DB8, you most probably won't get them with the 91XG. The reason I mention this is because some 8-bay antennas actually do pretty good on HI-VHF.

Just shield the computer as a "test" or turn it off to see if it is really the problem.

DRCars

It's the media PC, so we use it fairly for DVDs or accessing the front USB ports. It also needs all the airflow it can get, or it can get pretty darn hot. The fiancee might also not approve, though the cats certainly would.
You can put a larger box around the CPU that is foil lined but still allows air to flow.

22 definitely comes in better with the computer turned off. I thought I'd solved the problem with my frankendish, but weather can still kill the signal pretty well. Here's the previous thread about my troubles: http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/interference-on-rf-22.338922/

Ugh. Now I see why someone here referred to OTA as having a "voodoo" element to it.

It MAY be partially my computer and partially my former neighbors (who just moved out last week) that were causing the problem. I just reconnected the DB8 and now it's performing better than the frankendish without even trying to peak it, just sort of aiming "northish". Shielding the PC did help a little bit. That being said, I'd rather not deal with the trouble once someone else moves in downstairs. I'm still tempted to try out the 91XG since it will baaaarely fit on the balcony without sticking out over the edge. Worst cast scenario I'd have to ship it back, but NewEgg Premier gives me free return shipping. The worst part would be my fiancee (almost wife now!) complaining about my ridiculous antenna stand moving around again on the balcony.

22 definitely comes in better with the computer turned off. I thought I'd solved the problem with my frankendish, but weather can still kill the signal pretty well. Here's the previous thread about my troubles: http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/interference-on-rf-22.338922/

Ugh. Now I see why someone here referred to OTA as having a "voodoo" element to it.

It MAY be partially my computer and partially my former neighbors (who just moved out last week) that were causing the problem. I just reconnected the DB8 and now it's performing better than the frankendish without even trying to peak it, just sort of aiming "northish". Shielding the PC did help a little bit. That being said, I'd rather not deal with the trouble once someone else moves in downstairs. I'm still tempted to try out the 91XG since it will baaaarely fit on the balcony without sticking out over the edge. Worst cast scenario I'd have to ship it back, but NewEgg Premier gives me free return shipping. The worst part would be my fiancee (almost wife now!) complaining about my ridiculous antenna stand moving around again on the balcony.
It's your life and future wife, I would be patient Leaves should be changing color and falling so There will be less signal loss.

Reactions: Titanium

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)